Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community

exercises in water

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by lisanewmc, Mar 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lisanewmc

lisanewmc Post-Grad

Post #1 on Mar 2, 2011
    Hi all

I plucked up the courage to don my swimming costume yesterday and went to my local pool. The session was called 'sedate swim'. It was marvelous! Quite busy but no one thrashing around or diving in. Everyone gently swimming up and down,.mostly women.

Firstly I started off with a few exercises from the very basic sheet I was given at the hospital. Ie knee raises, 'harry worth's' and generally tested the water (no pun intended). I did about 6 lengths of gentle breast stroke and a couple more using a float and just paddling my legs. The latter I could really feel working my muscles.

I really would like to build up my muscles to help me walk as 'straight' as I can. For years I had a kind of rolling gait, whereby I swung my leg around rather than moved it from the joint. Post op I can walk perfectly straight just lightly using one crutch. Does anyone know of any specific exercises I could do to help?

Lisa
  2. mrsgibbo

mrsgibbo Member

Post #2 on Mar 2, 2011
    I had hydrotherapy in hospital and it was great. I am now planning on going to aquarobics at a local pool. Now I can drive I dont have to rely on others to take me.
    Cathy
  3. Steve_Marlow

Steve_Marlow Member

Post #3 on Mar 2, 2011
    Hi Lisa,
    my physio, put the following exercise routine together for me at about week 4 post op.

Basically he had an exercise to do at one end of the pool then run to the other end with the water resistance and do a stretch eg S1 then run back for another exercise.

Hope it helps
    Steve

Pool Exercise/ Stretch x 1 Daily if possible (Stretches 30 Sec)

1. Back in the corner- Legs straight out near the surface - move Feet apart and together (easy) 1 min
    S1 Slide Legs Apart back straight
    2. Standing kick- straight leg kick and high and back for the extension.(Jonny Wilkinson) (Easy) 20 x Each leg
    S2 Stand Front Against wall- Thigh Stretch
    3 March on spot (Easy) 1 min
    S3 Calf Stretch
    4 Hold Side- Front Crawl Kicking 1 min
    S4 Stand Slide leg Back (Extension)

Jog 2 lengths after each Stretch

Front Crawl Kick with Float as much as you like
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Brad

Brad Junior Member

Post #4 on Mar 2, 2011
    Lisa,

When did you have your surgery and what kind of surgery did you have? I'd like to get back into the pool again too, but I'm not sure how long I should wait after my surgery to submerge the wound.
  5. lisanewmc

lisanewmc Post-Grad

Post #5 on Mar 2, 2011
    Thanks for those Steve - will have a go at those.

Cathy - what did you do at hydro therapy?

Brad - I was advised to go swimming at my 6 wk post op appt.

Lisa
  6. Josephine

Josephine

Post #6 on Mar 2, 2011
    Until your surgeon says you can! That would be when a) he thinks the wound is securely healed and b) when he's released you from any restrictions you're under. And also when you think you're up to it.
  7. mrsgibbo

mrsgibbo Member

Post #7 on Mar 2, 2011
    Lisa the exercises were similar to the ones Steve recommends. I had hydro from day 3. It was wonderful. The water was really warm and it was so much easier to do the exercises in the water. Looking forward to trying aquarobics next week.
    Cathy
  8. bobbie

bobbie Junior Member

Post #8 on Mar 3, 2011
    I am3 months out and go in the pool. I walk across and walk backwards along with the other things mentioned. The first time I was in pain the next day. Getting better now each time.I think its really good if you an exercise in water.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. lisanewmc

lisanewmc Post-Grad

Post #9 on Mar 3, 2011
    Cheers for those Hip-mates!

I will be going to the 'sedate swim' with the pensioners:old: again tomorrow and give those stretches etc a try. Might have to walk rather than run - don't want to get into to trouble for not being sedate enough.:wink2:

Lisa
  10. kiwi_canuck

kiwi_canuck Junior Member

Post #10 on Mar 3, 2011
    Hi Lisa,

I too plucked up the courage to don a swimsuit. What I discovered is that on weekday mornings the local pool runs seniors' programs and most of the "swimmers" have some sort of disability and are using the pool because land-based exercise is too painful.

Walking in the pool has been wonderful, and it had the endorsement of both my PT and my family doctor.

I walk, stretch and do range of motion exercises. I commenced this routine 4 weeks post-op because the weather was too snowy/icy for safe outdoor walks.

The warmth of the water (85°-88°F) helped with stiffness, and I truly believe that if I hadn't walked in the pool I wouldn't be as mobile as I am today.

One word of caution from my PT was to avoid the frog kick that is normally done when breaststroking.

~Phillippa
  11. lisanewmc

lisanewmc Post-Grad

Post #11 on Mar 3, 2011
    Hi philippa

It does feel nice being in the water doesn't it? I'm looking forward to going again tomorrow . I was advised that the frog kick would be ok.......gave it a gentle try and it felt fine for me the other day. I won't be doing anything agressively, just want to start off slowly. I have got a long history and recognise Rome wasn't built in a day.

Happy swimming

Lisa
  12. mrsgibbo

mrsgibbo Member

Post #12 on Mar 3, 2011
    Of to aquarobics for my first session tomorrow. Will let you know what it's like.
    Cathy
  13. lisanewmc

lisanewmc Post-Grad

Post #13 on Mar 3, 2011
    Great - just don't overdo things! Look forward to hearing how it goes.

Lisa
  14. 1jt@atime

1jt@atime

Post #14 on Mar 3, 2011
    I'm really looking forward to getting into the water too! After 12+ weeks, my incision has FINALLY stopped draining. I still have a little scabbing but I can hear that pool calling my name! Only two or three more weeks until I feel certain everything is closed up. :yay:
  15. yanagirl:)

yanagirl:) Junior Member

Post #15 on Mar 4, 2011
    It is great to hear from all water-exercise enthusiasts! :THUMB: I, too, am a member of that club - have been for 10+ years!

I stopped my aquacize about 3 wks prior to hip surgery. I just couldn't do it anymore - too much pain aftrwards. :cry4:

Now, I am getting ready to return. PT says 2 more weeks and I can go back! :yes 4: But my issue is - my cane, which I still need.

My PT @ doctor's office said: "Please use the cane - it's a non-skid cane; at least just take it to the railing to get in safely."

Well, I've never seen anyone at my pool with a cane. But they do have those up & down chairs on a pole poolside to raise and lower severely disabled persons in and out of the pool.

I mean, I don't need that, but my point is they serve all populations. I'm just thinking I'll look kind of silly - needing a cane at the pool - :blush: you know?? But better safe than sorry.

I guess I could email the pool manager and see what she says. But I don't want to give her the chance to keep me away longer! :th_heehee:

I'm so ready to get back to that sublime water and the wonderful flexibility and limberness that the pool provides. :yay: And I will start slowly and gently - nothing aggressive for me right now.

Anyone ever take a cane to the pool? :scratch: Thanks.
  16. lisanewmc

lisanewmc Post-Grad

Post #16 on Mar 5, 2011
    I take my crutches and leave them by the edge. Yesterday I was one of three crutch users....fortunately we didn't get them mixed up!

The only problem I've encountered is that the benches on the changing rooms are too low. Makes dressing tricky if you can't sit down.

Don't let your cane prevent you .....just be careful you don't slip on the wet floor.

Enjoy :0)
  17. staffsknot

staffsknot Sr Bonesmartie

Post #17 on Mar 5, 2011
    I took my stick/cane onto the the poolside with me. There was an attendant nearby and I told him that it was my stick, and nobody was to touch it, or I wouldn't make it back to the locker room. Actually, it wasn't that bad, but I was terrified of slipping on the wet tiles and doing myself a mischief.

Anyway why do we call them sticks or canes when they are just as likely these days to be made of aluminium? Perhaps "prop" would be better.

All the best,

Alan :scratch:
  18. lisanewmc

lisanewmc Post-Grad

Post #18 on Mar 5, 2011
    I did some of STeve's exercises yesterday ( all the ones I could remember - left my print out at home) and also quite a few lengths of 25m pool just using legs and a float. I also swam a few lengths of 'keep your hair dry' type breast stroke. It must've done some good as I have got muscle soreness today- nothing major, just a bit of stiffness . That's good though, right? I'm looking forward to my next session. I will remember to keep count of the lengths so I can measure my progress. It's so easy to forget what you struggled to do even a week ago. That is important for reflection when the impatience and frustration kick in, helps to keep it all in perspective.

Lisa :0)
  19. mrsgibbo

mrsgibbo Member

Post #19 on Mar 5, 2011
    Well done Lisa. I also do 'the keep the hair dry stroke'. Aquarobics was good. Quite easy and I managed all the exercises. Lots of the people there had had some form of surgery as the class is held at Stanmore Orthopedic Hospital's pool. Booked for another class on Monday. I much prefer to exercise in this way I find doing exercises at home really boring.
    Cathy
  20. referee54

referee54

Post #20 on Mar 5, 2011
    I never did the aquatic exercises, but everybody who has done them has made tremendously positive comments about how enjoyable they are as well as how effective thy are, too.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.