THR Equipped with my new hip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the reading for when you get back! Good luck!

Here are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Activity progression for THRs
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

Hope everything goes well for you tomorrow. Welcome to the roller coaster ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad to hear from you Wendy. That is funny you commented about pizza delivery. I am usually hungry pretty quick after surgery and also after having my kids . I was wondering if I will be after my hip replacement. I was thinking probably not but, after reading your post I am beginning to wonder... I am glad you are on the other side and getting some rest.

Hey hip buddy! I've been looking for you. So glad to see you are resting..... And hungry....for a pizza no less! I've been perfectly happy with jello and pudding cups. However, our son brought over some wonderful sauce so all DH has to do is boil some paparedil noodles tonight! The most important thing I've learned so far is head for the bathroom before you get the urge to go! Quite a few leaky mishaps yesterday. I'm convinced this is their theory: drink plenty of liquids they say....... As they sit back smirking: heh, heh, that'll get them up and walking.
I keep counting the hours since surgery also and thru my brain fog, I keep confirming with DH what day this is

I'm so glad we're going thru this together and have this behind us! We'll do great!

Welcome home, Wendy!!! So thrilled this is now behind you - onward and upward from here! (Hope the pizza was delish! :) )

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks