Elliptical .... How Soon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

classic57year

My day is 9/30. For about the past 6 months my only form of exercise has been the elliptical. It is the easiest on my hip. The bike & treadmill are no comparison. Just plain walking is not an option. Suprisingly, I am up to 25 mins on the elliptical. I have not had any communication yet with phys therapist, is the elliptical recommended during rehab? How long after surgery can I get back on it?

You will be able to use the elliptical machine but it may be a while. You doctor will give you time frames for being able to bend your hip to the degree required on an elliptical machine. It could be 4-6 weeks, I believe. You didn't mention the incline you are currently doing on the machine. Your doctor may not want you to use a steep incline for a while.

Why is walking not an option for exercise??? Once you have a new hip, I can't imagine why you wouldn't want to include walking in your therapy routine.

Just what I was thinking, Jamie. It ws easiest on your hip because your hip was, to use a colloquialism, 'knackered'! Once fixed, you should be able to do pretty much anything. However, during your recovery you'll find you appreciate sitting more than standing and thus a recumbent bike will be more suitable then.

Anyway, welcome to BoneSmart, classic!

You will be able to use the elliptical machine but it may be a while. You doctor will give you time frames for being able to bend your hip to the degree required on an elliptical machine. It could be 4-6 weeks, I believe. You didn't mention the incline you are currently doing on the machine. Your doctor may not want you to use a steep incline for a while.

Why is walking not an option for exercise??? Once you have a new hip, I can't imagine why you wouldn't want to include walking in your therapy routine.

You misunderstood me, walking with the pain I have now is out of the question. Once I have the new hip I look forward to getting out and walking again! Hope its sooner than later. The elliptical I use is more or less like a cross country ski motion, where the resistance is adjustable, not the incline. Right now I leave it on the lowest resistance, seems to be the easiest on my hip.

Ah - I thought you meant that walking was going to be out of the question after the op! Sorry about that.

Yes, sorry....I misunderstood you too. You are going to be one happy person after you get your new hip!!!

Love my elliptical as it takes pressure off the joints. When I went back for my 3-week checkup, I asked the OS and he said it was okay to use it. I was also given the okay to drive as I had no pain and was able to walk unaided.
The most difficult part was getting my foot/leg over the middle hump. I got around this by placing both feet on the footpiece on the operated hip side, then move the good leg over. I have mine set to no resistance and no incline. I started off with just going with what felt comfortable which was about 5 minutes and progressed from there.
At physical therapy, I was put on a stationary bicycle for 15 minutes after 3 weeks, with resistance gradually increased.
Just go with what is comfortable and don't overdo things, as slow and steady is what this surgery calls for. Overdo, and there will be lots of screaming coming from within your new hip:rant::doh:
All the best with your surgery and keep us posted. And don't hesitate to ask lots of questions. The more informed, the more comfortable you will be.

Glenys
LHR 5/28/09
RHR 7/23/09

Thanks for the tip on getting over the middle hump. I have another question about the ride home from the hospital. I'm about 6ft 280lbs, getting into & out of a Honda Accord seems to be a problem. I know bending more than 90 deg is a no no. I am pretty sure you back in with the seat all the way back, but how do I get my new 300 lb leg in to the car?

You get your very heavy leg in with help. Are you able to do it now as if you have already had the surgery? Trial run? The pt at the hospital made a car for me out of chairs and we practiced. I know i did not fit in my husband's audi and told him he had to bring my Honda CRV (he does not like to drive it)
judy

Do as Sewell suggested - practice. Another threader posted some time back to put plastic on the seat as it allowed you to swivel about more easily. As you practice, have a pillow or whatever is handy, between your legs. This will give you an idea as to what mobility, or lack thereof, you have, as you have to keep your hips even, moving them together as you swivel.
No doubt you will be brought to your vehicle in a wheelchair, so you might try using a kitchen chair in its place, and getting from that into your vehicle. Hand holds on the vehicle will be a big help. Mine doesn't have any, so I used the roof as support as I lowered myself into the seat.
If you find your vehicle too unhandy, you may have to beg the use of a friend's or family member to help out.
Another thing, make sure to take your pain meds about an hour or so before the trip; helps a whole lot.
I found the bumps to not be much of a problem, but going around curves did cause discomfort. After the first curve, I asked my driver to slow down around the curves, just ease into them and no more problems.
Keep asking if you have questions; we are here to help each other.
Best of luck with your upcoming surgery. I know you will be the better for it. I love my new hips and have absolutely no regrets at having the surgeries done. Each day is better and brighter.

Glenys
LHR 5/28/09
RHR 7/23/09

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member