Efficacy of MRI Assisted & Docs in Boston

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragon701

I am researching my bilateral TKR.

I did a search on this forum for information on the pros and cons of MRI assisted TKR. I didn't get a hit, but might simply be a lame searcher. Does anyone have information on the benefits and risks of this procedure? I am not talking about computer assisted or minimally invasive techniques, just the use of MRI and computers to generate the positioning and cutting fixtures pre-surgery.

Are there any of you out there who have direct experience with Drs. Richard Scott, James Bono and David Mattingly all in Boston and all of whom operate at NE Baptist (among others)? I would like some first-hand feedback.

Hi, Dragon701....welcome to BoneSmart. I'm glad you joined our forum.

You ask some pretty specific questions, so it may be that you won't hear from anyone with personal experience with those specific surgeons. However, you are wise to carefully research the person you select to perform your BTKR. Choice of an experienced surgeon is THE MOST important factor....more so than any computer assisted or other surgical process.

While you're waiting to see if anyone is familair with those doctors, I suggest you take some time to read threads in the forum LIBRARY (link is in the red tool bar at the top of every page). In particular, this thread should help you as you talk with several surgeons before making your final choice.

Hi Dragon:
I think the MRI assisted technology you are referring to is for the Otis knee, which the FDA pulled off the market. To the best of my knowledge it is not in use today, but an appeal is in process (I think).

I have no direct experience with the Docs at the Baptist, but a friend uses Dr. Bono and likes him. I saw his office-mate, Dr Talmo and thought he was great, but I wanted to stay with my longtime OS, so I used him for a 2nd opinion.

Best of luck to you. BTW, I have a Stryker I'm sure I'll be thrilled with it once I can get back to all my crazy activities. Still healing years of muscle scarring from chronic inflammation.
Sandy

I can't quite remember who it was, but not that long ago someone posted some wonderful computer-generated designs for their knee.

I'm usually a bit cynical, but at the time I thought it might be a new-fangled marketing hype. Let's hope that whoever it was is still around to help.

Mabe using the search facility might show who it was.

I don't know anything about those specific doctors but have heard great things about NE Baptist from 2 people--one with knee replacement, one with hip replacement. Both got good care. Knee person ranks them high for infection control.

Tykey, that was Frogfeathers that posted her computer imaged knee. I'm not sure of the thread, though.

Recent professional articles I've been reading don't give much pluses to this procedure. Long term results seem to be no better than traditional surgical approaches.

Thanks for the input all.

I have already copied down Josephine's questions for use when I interview surgeons, as well as many other good ideas from elsewhere on the site.

I might be mistaken, but I believe that the MRI assisted technique can be used with products other than the OTIS -- one doctor, to whom I spoke, uses Zimmer with this technique.

The concept, in principle, makes sense, but it seems to me that it would depend heavily on the quality of the algorithm that they use to generate their model of your "healthy knee." Perhaps that is why it hasn't provided a dramatic change in results as Josephine indicates.

Thanks again for the help. If anyone else knows any of these docs, I'd love to hear from you.

Well, you're obviously a computer literate chap! What you say is true, of course, but I would imagine they've used some pretty heavy duty IT guys to generate the programme. However, at the end of the day, it's still only a 'guesstimate' and therefore has a potential to be flawed to one degree or another.

I've also heard people say "well, if it's designed/controlled by a computer, the possibility of error is almost non-existent"! I would suggest that's not an 'altogether accurate' statement for ultimately the surgery is still in the hands of the surgeon. Thus, like any other surgery, the key is in the choice of an extremely experienced surgeon.

But I wish you luck in your search. Will be most interested to hear how it goes and what the ultimate outcome is.

The concept, in principle, makes sense, but it seems to me that it would depend heavily on the quality of the algorithm that they use to generate their model of your "healthy knee.

I reckon you are absolutely right, Dragon.

Also the skill of the surgeon is the main factor when we get down to the last details and adjustment. I'd rather have a Chippendale chair than an Ikea one:D

Oh, that reminds me of a joke .... for the did you know thread!

I talked to my doctor regarding the MRI just the other day. He told me the outcome would be the same with or without the aid of the MRI image and all it does is lessen the time spent in the operating room. I opted for the old fashioned techique myself. I do not trust computer generated images. Hope it helps. He uses the Smith-Nephew knee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks