early in recovery - what is "normal" to expect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yanagirl:)

Country
United States United States
Hello friends. I am here at home recovering from bi-lateral THRs I had 16 days apart: R on 1/24; L on 2/9.

By now my R hip (1/24) feels strong. like it's a part of me, and little to no pain so far.:th_yay:

But my left hip (2/9) is not quite so easy-going. I find I am mildly bothered by all sorts of odd feelings, twinges of pain (stinging, fatigue,weakness,etc) that I don't remember in the first one. Is this normal?

I know the left side of my body is quite different from my right: different slope to shoulders, for one thing. It's not my dominant side, as I am right-handed. I guess this makes a difference.

Of course the most amazing thing and what I'm most grateful for is - all of the old arthritic hip pain that I used to have is gone! This is such a blessing, and I know you all can identify with this!!:bow:

I am working with physical therapist at home 3x/wk. But the repititious exercises and boring long days spent indoors are giving me cabin fever.:th_2hissy1:

I also find all the sitting I'm doing is bothering my rear end -very uncomfortable! I have ordered a donut hole pillow. Hope it arrives soon. :th_jumpy:

I am using walker and right now thoughts of a cane scare me to death.:th_skeptical: My left side just isn't near there yet.

Anyone have any suggestions for "sitting" problem?

I am not a "hippy", but I did have a BTKR a little over three years ago, and I can commiserate with you about the fact that the different sides of the body heal in different ways. both of my knees, pre-surgically, were horrible, but my left knee, I would say, was the worst of the two. After the surgery, my right one was always the one getting stiff or sore.

I can also commiserate with your cabin fever. I had my BTKR done on 11/08/07, and i would stand by my front window of my home and watch the rest of the world go by. It was a great feeling when my wife took me up to school briefly and then we went out to lunch! (I cam back home and slept, I was that tired.)

Remember, though, that when spring really does arrive (here in Cleveland, that is normally early May...) you will have everything together and you will be able to enjoy the weather and the joys that spring brings.

I went from a walker to a pair of crutches and then finally to a cane. You and your PT will know when it is time, but soon, all of these aids will be a thing of the past.

I am not sure of the solution to your "sitting" problem, but I am sure that others have had similar issues and will give you great advice.

And yes, the pain you feel now is not arthritic pain---it is surgical pain and recovery pain that will go away. You are in the process of reclaiming your life and living pain-free. The kind of pain you are feeling now, at least the way that I looked at it, is that it is "good pain."

Tim C.

It's great you have both surgeries behind you now. The pains you are feeling are completely normal in some recoveries. Remember, you're just a "newbie" in recovery for your second THR. Give it some time....rest, ice, elevate and take those pain meds on a schedule. Things are going to improve here real soon.

I know this is about knees but it applies here! Having TWO Knees Done? DON'T Compare Surgeries!!

But you girls do make me laugh - you spend months and months struggling with diseased hips or knees, have the operation, get discharged from hospital and have your stitches or staples out
then expect everything to be back to normal a couple of weeks later. But now you're finding the truth - it doesn't work like that! :wink:

I have a La-Z-Boy recliner that is so comfortable. You can elevate your feet real good in one. My chair is brown micro-fiber--real soft; no pressure points. I get restless in bed every morning about 3 or 4 am. I go to my la-z-boy chair, wrap a couple afghans around me, for sure one of my cats will join me, and I'm in my own little private world!:whis:

Thanks to all of you for your input.

FishnBob - interesting comment about the recliner. My husband has a nice one I'm sure I can use, but my PT nixed it. "No recliners," she said. In fact, she said "the most uncomfortable chair in the house is yours for right now." That means straight and sturdy with arms.

My hubby's recliner is kind of low to the ground and takes a lot of momentum to get up out of. I think she's worried I'll break the 90 degrees precautions. But I do plan on getting my own reciner when I'm able to. I've put it off this long (65 yrs) but I'm thinking the time has come!

As far as PTs go, I'm noticing some differences in approach and therapy by what I've been reading on here. As is to be expected.

Yes, very much as to be expected! Most people I know and a lot of members on this board have recovered in recliners. However, your PT is partially correct. If you plan to use one, make sure it's elevated or have a big thick cushion on the seat so you can get up without bending too much. Alternatively, you could really splash out and get a rise and recline chair so it sets you neatly on your feet! My sister had one and never came anywhere near breaching the 90 degree rule!

My PT freaked out about the recliner too. When I demonstrated that I could get in and out of it without breaking the 90 rule she shut up about it.

At the hospital where I had my very first post-op physical therapy (a group therapy situation - hips & knes), they had everyone in a recliner! It worked
very well for doing the exercises.

But I must say their recliners were quite sturdy and not low down - definitely not the "cushy" kind. They were on wheels, with locking brakes. For patients wno couldn't walk to or from the therapy session, they would wheel you. And the recliner stayed in your room for you to use as a change from the bed when you wanted it.

Just shows to go you - One journey, many paths. :th_heehee:

In your opening post you ask "what is normal?" One thing that I learned throughout my ordeal---and that others will tell you here, is that the only normal thing about a THR or a TKR is that nothing is normal. When I was struggling with something in PT or frustrated at how sslloowwllyy I was taking to recover, I would ask one of my PT's if this was normal---and they would just simply smile.

I have never been a patient person, but having had a BTKR done, I had to develop a great deal of patience. Remember how long it took for your body to become so bad that you decided to have the surgery; remember too what exactly was done to you during the procedure; then think about, in actuality the length of time it will take to resume your normal activities and truly to begin to enjoy life again---I had to keep telling myself that, and most of the time , it worked...:rolf:

Tim C.

I'm now 3 weeks PostOp and read all the poste from recent hippies to try and judge how I'm progressing. As has been said, there is no norm.....Baring a serious problem like Post Op infection we all seem to travel the same path, some faster, some slower, etc.

If I read enough posts I can find a description here and there that describes something I've felt.....but never from one person. I guess there is a 100 plus list of complaints from recent Post Ops and we each get to pick 10 or15 to make our own.

The only universal seems to be the relief from the old "bad" pain. Isn't that great.

Keep on trucking

Jack

Jack, you're a hoot! We certainly do make our own lists.

La-z-boy recliners are the best. They're not hard to get out of. Of course, you can always put a pillow on the seat.

Quote from Texas Jack:

"If I read enough posts I can find a description here and there that describes something I've felt.....but never from one person. I guess there is a 100 plus list of complaints from recent Post Ops and we each get to pick 10 or15 to make our own.

The only universal seems to be the relief from the old "bad" pain. Isn't that great"

Yes, Jack, so true! I find myself scouring, looking for symptoms that match mine as an indication of normalcy, or at least, nothing dire!! :snk::snk: I have to stop doing this!! :rolf:

Thanks for LazyBoy endorsement, FishnBob. ! I will check into them.

BIG NEWS! I graduated to a cane today! :yahoo: Permission and approval was granted by my PT, who has been so supportive and encouraging sll along. :loveshower:

It's funny - this switch to cane - because it came about both gradually and suddenly. Just like many of you have written about in these threads! I mean, as recently as 2-3 days ago, I knew I just wasn't ready yet on the left side. It just wasn't feeling 100% stable. I simply couldn't let go and trust it. My right hip, meanwhile, was rarin' to go, but it had been replaced 2 weeks earlier than the left.

But each day more strength came. Finally, last night I picked up the cane and started feeling my way, walking around the island in my kitchen. It felt pretty good if not immediately natural. :snork:

Today when PT came, she taught me a few tricks and said go for it! I walked, she watched and after a little while she said she was quite comfortable with my cane use. Yahoo! :happy dance:

I am still under the 90 degree precautions. Will see doc next week. Hope to return to work 3/7.

Will keep you posted.

Don't give up or rush things. Your recovery is progressing even tho you can't see small advances every day.

Congratulations! You are taking some very big steps in your recovery!

The last line that you wrote is so very true!

Don't give up or rush things. Your recovery is progressing even tho you can't see small advances every day.

Eventually you will be walking just fine without any aids at all!

And please, keep us posted as to how you are progressing.

I'm now 3 weeks PostOp and read all the poste from recent hippies to try and judge how I'm progressing. As has been said, there is no norm.....Baring a serious problem like Post Op infection we all seem to travel the same path, some faster, some slower, etc.

If I read enough posts I can find a description here and there that describes something I've felt.....but never from one person. I guess there is a 100 plus list of complaints from recent Post Ops and we each get to pick 10 or15 to make our own.

The only universal seems to be the relief from the old "bad" pain. Isn't that great.

Keep on trucking

Jack

Jack---since you had the DAA are you able to avoid the 90 degree rule as some state? Are you using a cane? Just wondering since I am having that also--hopefully, if I pass pre-op assessment.

Dear Magnolia,

The PostOp thread I started seems to have slipped into obscurity on page 2 or 3. At the risk of repeating myself I'm now 4 weeks PostOp. Walked, literally, out of the hospital in 48 hours....no cane, crutch or walker. No restrictions...90 degree, crossing legs, pillow between knees, icing, elevating, etc. No formal PT....Just walk as much as my body would allow. Back driving at 10 days. Haven't needed any 2nd party assistance since the day I got home ( except to put on socks and tie my shoes which I can now do).

As of today my 4" incision is fully healed, no lumps, bumps, pain or infection. I am back to all my normal activities like nothing ever happened. Only discomfort is surface sensitivity/soreness on the outside of my thigh which improves daily. Been off all meds except 1 or 2 aspirin and an anti inflamatory once a day.

Yesterday I took my sailboat out for the first time in months.

10-15 knot breeze, whitecaps on the bay stayed out 4 hrs with no "light duty" or any ill effects.

I know the soft tissue and new bone growth will take several months to fully heal and I am very conscious of not overdoing it.

That's my story...I wish everyone had the same one ,but obviously they don't. For that I'm truly sorry.

Regards

Jack

Jack,
Since I've come to this board you've been an inspiration to me. I can only hope and pray that my recovery will be as uneventful as yours. I have total confidence in my OS and he'll be doing the DAA so I guess it's up to me to make sure I do all of my exercises regularly. My son's getting married on May 7th and I'm bound and determined that I'm going to walk(no glide) down the aisle and Hunter and I will have a proper Mother/Son dance!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
MaxiHound
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom