THR DVT vs. muscle cramp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelsey

Hi All, I am experiencing pain in my left calf today. I am quite sure that it has to do with my increase in activity and switching to using my cane, primarily. However, my mom is here, and is concerned that it may be DVT. I do not have other symptoms, besides pain in a specific place in my calf. Being almost 5 weeks post op, and quite active, I think I am not high-risk. But I thought I would ask... Thanks so much.

My feeling is that your calf pain is related to your increased and changed activity. If you give your calf a good squeeze, does that result in pain? Or is the pain associated more with movement? Josephine;

Are you taking magnesium? It's quite good for cramping/spasm type pain in the calf. Blood clot symptoms include tenderness, swelling, and warmth. But symptoms aren't always present. When in doubt, call your doctor or the hospital. I'd rather feel silly for over-reacting to simple muscle strain than miss catching a serious clot because I wasn't sure. However, I agree that at five weeks and being active, it is more likely to be a muscle strain. If DVT were a high risk five weeks out, we'd still be stabbing ourselves with those injections, or taking blood thinners. Jamie already tagged Jo, so keep a close watch till she checks in with her expertise.

Sharon

Actually - and sorry to burst your balloon, Sharon - we are ALL at risk of DVT and embolism all the time! Just think of the number of people who have heart attacks and strokes and the precautions we are advised to take when embarking on a long haul flight. So time from surgery isn't really germane in this.

But I agree with the others, it's more likely due to increased activity. If it doesn't settle down within 24hrs, get it checked out. Always better to be safe than sorry.

Good point, Josephine! Now that I think about it, I've read that it's a good idea to wear the TEDS stockings on a plane ride. Hah! I bet almost no one does. Burst my bubble anytime. :)

Sharon

Just an update... pain has dissipated, no other symptoms have developed. Whew. Thanks for the input!

Glad to hear that you are better.
When I asked at the OS office if I needed to wear Teds this time, they laughed at me. ( I get laughed at a lot) I had told them that no stocking would be big enough for me. They disagreed and put them on in the OR. By the time they came to see me in my room, they were off. Evidently I had instructed someone to cut them off..it goes without saying that I will move the legs after surgery but I won't have Teds. Just a funny flashback as I have no idea how they got scissored.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Jojojo1
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom