Don't compare

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenniferne

I have been told many times not to compare this total knee I got in Sept to the tkp I got in April. But oh my how can you not. My first tkp went like a charm. I was pain free at 6 weeks and wishing that my other leg could feel so good. Now with this tkp it is completely different. I have pain in my knee all the time, I ice throughout the day to try to get the swelling down and am taking a pain pill when needed. My bend is excellent at 140 but my straight is at a 3. I seen my surgeon Monday and he said the xrays look wonderful. Today I have to tell my TP that I am not suppose to have that 4lb weight slapped across my ankle while I do all the leg lifts he expects me to do. I don't know if that is hurting my knee and keeping the swelling there or not. I have already had to have him ease up on one of the weight machines. The weight was so heavy I couldn't lift it with both legs. And I really did try. Actually that is when the pain really started to get worse is when he increased my weights. It probably doesn't help that I did manage to do all those exercises with my first TKP but this one is being very stubborn. Now since I can't compare this TKP with my other TKP is it normal to still feel alot of pain in the knee and to still have alot of swelling? All I know is how my other TKP did. I am at 6 weeks today.
:sct:

I had both knees done at the same time and they are not healing at the same rate. My physical therapist told me that knees always seem to recover differently so it is impossible to compare. I understand how you feel though because it is hard not to compare them.

My knee that was in worse shape prior to the surgery is healing better and more quickly than what I considered my "good" knee. Again, my therapist told me not to worry and to just keep plugging along. She said it will heal at its own pace.

Please try to be patient and just work through this recovery as it happens. You will be fine.

Jen,
I understand. I have had the same problem. Except I have not been able to get the Rom with the 2nd knee that you have been able to get. I have my finger crossed that the scope I just had done is going to make everything so much better. I have so many things that have to be done with the grandchildren that I have to be able to go, go, go!
I feel like this last year has been lost due to pain.
So Yes I think that the weights could cause pain in the knee. I would think that your PT tech would be so happy with you Rom he would let up a little. And somewhere here someone has said how to get your your leg to extend to 0. And it was not by lifting weights with your leg. I think it had something to do with raising the ankle so the knee has to come down. You are doing great at 6 week. As I keep hearing from everyone "every knee is different".
And I guess that is right. Even people that have both knees done at the same time notice that one knee does better, faster then the other. So hang in there. We are off to Vala's Pumkin Farm in Gretna, NE. this weekend so, I have my fingers crossed that the right knee will behave its self and let me enjoy my grandchildren. We have quite the weekend planned with all 5 of them. We will be on the run starting Friday nite. and we will wrap it up Sunday night when we meet there parents for dinner.

Jennifer, the weights sound excessive to me. I would recommend that you completely stop with that type of strength training for at least a week or so and give your knee a chance to settle down. There are plenty of other exercises you can do at 6 weeks that don't require weights or resistance machines. See if your trainer can make some good substitutions. Squats, stationary bike, balance training come to mind....

Six weeks means you have a very new knee. There will be plenty of time for weight training once it has moved from the swelling and hurt stage. Even then, go into it gradually.

Sheesh, your PT's don't half push you guys! That's a lot of weight and PT for only 6 weeks. I think you could more than cut that in half and still make good progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom