Don't Call It Pampering: Massage Wants to Be Medicine-Article

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have gotten deep tissue massages just about every week for the past year and a half. My therapist works on loosening up the muscles of my legs and hips. It's also greatly helped the torn rotator cuff in my shoulder. I love my massage therapist! :biggrin:

Jerseychicks, I totally believe in my sports massage therapist. Both my husband and I have been using him for the past 20 years! *He helps me out with chronic pain (back & hip arthritis) or overuse injury (like when we spent New Years Eve playing all the songs in Rock Band and my biceps were killing me). *He's part of my recovery team.

Massage is excellent for many conditions. I have been going once a week since October, and have benefited greatly.
As for insurance coverage, it is good for the patient to have part of the cost covered. Insurance will add expenses for the practioner, billing, appealing denials, credentialling, additional staff, and lower reimbursement vs cash payments.

Great article....thanks for posting it. This is something I've always wanted to try but never knew how to go about finding a good massage therapist. There are many of them around where I live.

Hi Jerseychick, great article, I will share it with my massage therapist! I have had 3 sessions with him and am starting to see the small improvements in muscles that have been so tight around my TKR knee. I have two more scheduled this week and will go again for another two after that to give it a thorough try. I wish I could go more often because I can see where it is helping. He is spending time just on the operated knee with pressure point and deep tissue work to help free up the joint. I could feel the scar tissue giving way a bit last session which was exactly what I wanted. I think he is learning something from this experience and I have turned him on to Bonesmart so he can get the insight from those of us who have been through this!

THanks again!! You were one of the first to encourage me to seek this treatment, I only wish I had sought it sooner!

Dawn

I am married to a licensed massage therapist and her work on my leg post tkr was more beneficial than any pt. a high percentage of the pains that we have are muscle related and are trigger points. my father has severe ostheoarthritis and could barely move his head in any direction for the past 15 yrs. my wife worked on him 3 times and he gained a huge improvement in rom and pain. the arthritis caused issues eith the muscles and a chain reaction set in. he will always have arthritis but mt is very beneficial in managing it. great articl. gonna shoe the better half. and neverrrrr call them masseuses! Lol

Glad everyone is enjoying the article. I am also planning to give the article to him when I see him this Friday.

Jersey chick, what kind of massage therapist do you go to? A regular pt or a different kind? Great article!

Cynthia-My massage therapist has a private practice and he is from Russia. He does deep tissue massage and hot stone massage on me. I see him every Friday, it's a great way to start the weekend.

Java joe, you are so right. I had my 4th session with my massage therapist today and he said that there can be issues with your hip that translate into other issues that lead to your knee, etc. We talked about once we get the knee working better, to check some of the other muscles as well. He also suggested yoga to help with stretching and strength, relaxation. Again, something I need to work into my routine.

Dawn

Hi Jerseychick, great article, I will share it with my massage therapist! I have had 3 sessions with him and am starting to see the small improvements in muscles that have been so tight around my TKR knee. I have two more scheduled this week and will go again for another two after that to give it a thorough try. I wish I could go more often because I can see where it is helping. He is spending time just on the operated knee with pressure point and deep tissue work to help free up the joint. I could feel the scar tissue giving way a bit last session which was exactly what I wanted. I think he is learning something from this experience and I have turned him on to Bonesmart so he can get the insight from those of us who have been through this!

THanks again!! You were one of the first to encourage me to seek this treatment, I only wish I had sought it sooner!

Dawn
You're welcome Dawn! I'm glad you are seeing improvement.

JerseyChick-

My PT realized my knees are tightening right back up after each session. She had my lay on my side and took my right leg into her arms and began massaging, it hurt but felt so good! My muscles in my thighs are so tight and sore it felt like a toothache. I'm thinking I might be better off getting them massaged each week to help loosen them up so that PT goes smoother.

Thanks for the articles!!! Great advice.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties