BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. PLEASE NOTE THAT ONE RECOVERY THREAD ONLY IS PREFERRED. PLEASE DON'T START ADDITIONAL THREADS ABOUT YOUR RECOVERY.

Does weather affect your pain?

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Justine, May 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Justine

Justine Member

Hi All,

I remember, as a child, people saying things like, "Oh, it's going to rain - I can feel it in my bones." I always thought this was such a silly thing to say!

Dear old Scotland hasn't got the best climate (you may have heard :biggrin: ) but recently we've been having a lovely Spring - temperatures up to 70 degrees which is very unusual for April!

I have also been feeling a bit better recently - still in pain, but not as bad and I've not been as stiff. However, last night, ater a lovely sunny day, my hip started to feel really bad. Within a few hours, it started to rain. Today is cool, dull and damp and my hip is as bad as ever! Is this coincidence?? I know I'll have ups and downs but could it be the weather, do you think?

Thanks, J x

2. thelandlady

thelandlady Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hiya Justine, All my body is better when the weather is hot and sunny, when its cold and damp i ache all over. I tell my hubby i need to go away in the winter. I had a month in Goa in December and i felt great.

3. Josephine

Josephine NURSE DIRECTOR, BONESMART Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    In a word - yes!

4. Renate

Renate Sr Bonesmartie

What a post! I know some people talking about that, and I always thought that's silly. Guess what? With our rainy, damp weather in April, my hips really hurt badly, and my fingers too. I believe it's true.

5. GrahamDee

GrahamDee Senior

I don't know if it's me, but I hurt when there is a change in the weather.

If there is a rainy season, it hurts for a bit then settles down, when it changes to a dry season, it hurts again for a while.

Maybe I'm just weird. :th_heehee:

6. Shwn

Shwn Member

OOOOOHHHHH MMMYYY GOOOOSH yes the weather here is changing all the time and I feel it every morning when I get out bed some days it's good someday's it's bad when it is cool and humid I can barely walk in the morning!!!!!!

7. saku

saku Junior Member

I used to think it sounded a little far-fetched too. But I found that changes in barometric pressure affected my hip pain for the worse. I just had my surgery last week and I am anxious to see how my hip feels the next time a storm blows through.

8. Rohanknitter

Rohanknitter Post-Grad

Oh yes indeed! I'd have some days that were worse than normal and be wondering why, then my husband would say maybe it's the weather? :DOH: I don't know why I tended to forget about that when it was damp and rainy. I really noticed it in the winter, too. A few years ago we went to Florida in January, and the temp at home was 15 degrees, the temp in FL was 75 when we arrived. I could tell a difference even as I was getting out of the car when we got there! Just one more reason to be thankful for my new hips - I don't have to dread winter any more!!!!

9. lisanewmc

lisanewmc Post-Grad

I used to feel worse in humidity too as well as the cold/damp. It's nice saying 'used to' :biggrin:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.