BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. NOTICE

You will all be interested to know we are expanding our range!

A new forum has been created for "Other Joints" which includes anything NOT hip or knee. It can be found under the hip category on the forum Home Page and in the Navbar at the top of the page.

Also the Social designation of the category and forum will be changed to Community to make it clearer that this is not intended to be a copy of Facebook!

Please let Josephine or Jamie know or post it in the Bugs, Errors, and Techy Questions if you find or have any problems with the new set-up

Happy painfree days, all!

Does weather affect your pain?

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Justine, May 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Justine

Justine Member

Hi All,

I remember, as a child, people saying things like, "Oh, it's going to rain - I can feel it in my bones." I always thought this was such a silly thing to say!

Dear old Scotland hasn't got the best climate (you may have heard :biggrin: ) but recently we've been having a lovely Spring - temperatures up to 70 degrees which is very unusual for April!

I have also been feeling a bit better recently - still in pain, but not as bad and I've not been as stiff. However, last night, ater a lovely sunny day, my hip started to feel really bad. Within a few hours, it started to rain. Today is cool, dull and damp and my hip is as bad as ever! Is this coincidence?? I know I'll have ups and downs but could it be the weather, do you think?

Thanks, J x

2. thelandlady

thelandlady Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hiya Justine, All my body is better when the weather is hot and sunny, when its cold and damp i ache all over. I tell my hubby i need to go away in the winter. I had a month in Goa in December and i felt great.

3. Josephine

Josephine NURSE DIRECTOR, BONESMART Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    In a word - yes!

4. Renate

Renate Sr Bonesmartie

What a post! I know some people talking about that, and I always thought that's silly. Guess what? With our rainy, damp weather in April, my hips really hurt badly, and my fingers too. I believe it's true.

5. GrahamDee

GrahamDee Senior

I don't know if it's me, but I hurt when there is a change in the weather.

If there is a rainy season, it hurts for a bit then settles down, when it changes to a dry season, it hurts again for a while.

Maybe I'm just weird. :th_heehee:

6. Shwn

Shwn Member

OOOOOHHHHH MMMYYY GOOOOSH yes the weather here is changing all the time and I feel it every morning when I get out bed some days it's good someday's it's bad when it is cool and humid I can barely walk in the morning!!!!!!

7. saku

saku Junior Member

I used to think it sounded a little far-fetched too. But I found that changes in barometric pressure affected my hip pain for the worse. I just had my surgery last week and I am anxious to see how my hip feels the next time a storm blows through.

8. Rohanknitter

Rohanknitter Post-Grad

Oh yes indeed! I'd have some days that were worse than normal and be wondering why, then my husband would say maybe it's the weather? :DOH: I don't know why I tended to forget about that when it was damp and rainy. I really noticed it in the winter, too. A few years ago we went to Florida in January, and the temp at home was 15 degrees, the temp in FL was 75 when we arrived. I could tell a difference even as I was getting out of the car when we got there! Just one more reason to be thankful for my new hips - I don't have to dread winter any more!!!!

9. lisanewmc

lisanewmc Post-Grad

I used to feel worse in humidity too as well as the cold/damp. It's nice saying 'used to' :biggrin:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.