Dislocation question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ppic50

I'm having my THR done April 24th and I'm wondering about the chances of dislocation and especially how long that I need to be concerned about that? Is it something I need to be cautious about the rest of my life or is it just during the rehab period?
Paul P.

Hi, Paul...welcome to BoneSmart! I'm glad you found our forum and decided to join us.

The risk for dislocation normally decreases after surgery as your muscles grow stronger. That is what keeps your new hip joint in place! Some surgeons will require that you watch your movements for about 6 weeks. Others have no restrictions. You must go with what your surgeon recommends. But.....any restrictions are only temporary!!! You will not have to worry or think about your new bionic hip forever.

I'm having my THR done April 24th and I'm wondering about the chances of dislocation and especially how long that I need to be concerned about that? Is it something I need to be cautious about the rest of my life or is it just during the rehab period?
Paul P.

I would err on the side of caution and follow the restrictions for as long as your os and PT tell you,then add a little time just to make sure.......:wink1:

I would ask your surgeon about that. He or she knows what they do in there and what experience with their other patients has told them about dislocation. I think some surgeons today use a technique or prosthesis that is less likely to dislocate than the ones even 10 years ago.

I asked my surgeon about dislocation worries and he told me he rarely has anyone dislocate (and he does about 500 per year). I was completely off hip precautions at 6 weeks with a "you can do whatever you like" from there on out. He even wrote a comment on his written handout guidelines that said that many PT's are not used to total release from hip precautions this early.

I'm sure he doesn't want me doing splits (as if I could do half of one anyway, lol), but it does seem like the hips being done today are pretty sturdy. I even had an aide during my rehab stay abduct my leg WAY past the midline in an attempt to "help" me back into bed (did that ever hurt!!!); I was only 3 days post op and it was sore for quite a few days after that incident, but it was still in the socket just fine.

But, discuss this with your doctor.

Dorothy

Hello Paul and welcome to BoneSmart,

It's a good question and im not sure, you would think I would know the answer sorry. The library thread Josephine is excellent. I do think about it being so new with my hip. Logically I keep thinking if I was to take a bad fall or do something silly the chances would be high the hip would get damaged natural or not. I'm a lot more active and feel stronger with my new hip and NO pain at all which is a true gift!

Glad you joined us and look forward to following your recovery!

All the best,

Sarah

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88