BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community

Decision made!

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by reetpteet, Apr 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reetpteet

reetpteet Senior

Hi Bonesmarties, my name is Rita & I just found yesterday from my orthopaedic consultant that I need a left TKR. I am sooooo glad to have found this site with it's carefully monitored posts & helpful & encouraging stories. (I already feel like I know Josephine!)
    My knee history is - MRI/x rays of right knee in 2004 showed bad changes. Then arthroscopy in 2008 showed end stage (grade 4) OA. However I had a good result from that scope & my right knee is my 'good' knee.
    Arthroscopy 22yrs ago (1990) on left knee for removal of loose body.
    Recent arthroscopy on left knee shows end stage OA & 'bone on bone'.
    I am still quite active & cope fairly well but realise that a big part of my coping is by 'moving the goal posts' of what is normal. Each year that passes I have a new 'normal'! I can longer walk further that 3 miles, going up hills is easy but coming down is impossible. Wet, slippy or uneven surfaces make me nervous. AND I want to use my lovely caravan a whole lot more.
    I have read Brugioni & Falkel's book from cover to cover & am preparing to take control of my knee - it's no longer going to dictate my life!
    I am scouring ebay for a Cryo Cuff, an exercise bike & leg elevation cushions (I already know the mantra - rest, ice, elevate & pain = no gain)
    I hope to have my surgery in June this year. I am a bit anxious about the outcome - my doc says 10% of pts are not thrilled with their new knees, but I am determined to be in the other 90%. We are so fortunate in UK not to have to search for a surgeon or to have to save up the £s until we can afford the surgery.
    Look forward to hearing from some of you & sharing the journey with those whose TKR's are scheduled for June. What shall we call ourselves? We have a very special celebration here in UK this summer, the Queen's Diamond Jubilee, 60 yrs on the throne - so maybe the June Jubileers!!!
    Bye for now. God Bless

ps - as I write this, the rain is pouring down & the the sun has come out. A fabulous rainbow arcs over my road - I think God is promising to look after me!
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

United States United States
    Hi, Rita....boy, you are going to be the PERFECT BoneSmartie....you already know the routine by heart!

We will have a June team....our "Junies" are called the "Sunbeams." I'll be putting that thread up sometime near the end of April, so watch for it. With all your knowledge, we may make you the Team Leader!!!:th_heehee:
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Josephine

Josephine Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Wow, you have hit the road running! (pun intended!)

Which hospital-surgeon is going to do your surgery?
  4. newnee

newnee Graduate

Hi Rita and welcome to BoneSmart You have a great attitude and are going to do great. It sounds like you have already been lookiong through the posts which is a great place to start. We are here for you anytime you need us
  5. referee54

referee54 Moderator

Howdy and welcome to the forum family! It sounds like you have a plan and will do just fine!
  6. Jazyb

Jazyb Post-Grad

Hi Rita

Welcome to Bonesmart and congratulations on taking control of your knee. You certainly sound ready for your op and seem well prepared. I highly recommend a Cryo-Cuff, it will be your best friend in the first few weeks of recovery :thumb: As for the outcome - it is best to keep a positive attitude and make sure you are as healthy as possible before the op. Read and research as much as possible, as knowledge is power! Follow people that are having a normal and boring recovery - that certainly helped me to keep positive before the op.

I am well into my recovery now and it has all gone so well. I am most definately in the 90% of happy campers with a new knee and it was the best decision I have ever made to have it done. I wish you all the best and keep us posted.
  7. reetpteet

reetpteet Senior

My consultant is Alex Anderson in Sheffield, he does all his NHS work at the Claremont. Lucky me (kind of!)
  8. KathyH

KathyH Sr Bonesmartie

A warm welcome to this wonderful site, Rita. You have such a good positive attitude, you will do well in your recovery, I greatly suspect :thumb:

Good luck with your search on e-bay. That's a jolly good idea.

Kathy
    xx
  9. sheryl7

sheryl7 Graduate

Agreeing with the others, you have a very positive outlook. Keep it up.
    I know when my turn eventually comes, I will have lots of knowledge and what to be aware of, because of this wonderful site.
    Keep on posting:thumb:
  10. tashia

tashia Sr Bonesmartie

Welcome to BoneSmart. Its good to do all the research you can because this is a big deal. Now I am waiting for my second so I'm not as pain free as I was but having it was great. Keep posting so we can keep in touch. stay safe and take care. :doggieshmooze:Tashia:friends:
  11. Jacky48

Jacky48 Don

Hi Rita,
    Sounds like you have everything under control!:thumb: I will bew getting both my knees done June 1st and I, like yourself, want to get my life back. I found my Cryo-Cuff on Ebay at a very reasonable price, so good luck you should be able to find one as well. My new knees will have to share one as well as jell ice packs.
    I look forward to reading more from you as you go forward in your journey to a better life!:friends:
    Best regards,
    Jacky
  12. Nyland

Nyland Post-Grad

Hi Rita! Welcome! Looks like we are on the same path.
  13. reetpteet

reetpteet Senior

This seems like a really stupid question - but how do I continue this thread :scratch:? Do I just keep writing here?
    Nothing more to report currently, lost a Cryo Cuff bid on ebay, searching for an exercise bike & shopping for the perfect leg elevation cushion - will keep you posted.
  14. Janet2012

Janet2012 Don

Yup, just keep posting. If there is no posting for a little bit, you might have to go find the thread on the 2nd or 3rd page or so,(there are shortcuts to find your thread). As soon as you or someone else posts, it goes back up to the top of page one. Some people add to their thread months or years after their surgery, to update. It's nice to have those long term perspectives here. So welcome!
    • Like Like x 1
  15. reetpteet

reetpteet Senior

Also I have a pic in my profile but it doesn't seem to be appearing! Any ideas?
  16. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

The profile photo in not the same as an avatar. It's the avatar that will appear with your posts. Go to your User Control Panel, select the link to create an avatar, and use the same process you used for your profile photo.

I also suggest that you spend some time in our "how to" forum. Go the the OFFICE tab at the page and select the link to "How To Use the Forum." You will find a lot of threads there to tell you how to do things in BoneSmart.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. reetpteet

reetpteet Senior

Thanks Jamie - have read & reread the How to use the Forum - just didn't know what an avatar was! Going now to retry.
  18. Nyland

Nyland Post-Grad

Lovely!
    • Like Like x 1
  19. reetpteet

reetpteet Senior

It worked - more knowledge added to my database :yay:
  20. 1ELISEA

1ELISEA Forum Advisor

Welcome!
    Great analogy about moving the goalposts as that is what we do, isn't it?

I also bought a Cryo Cuff; shopped around, used a discount, free shipping and bought a new one. Folks here were talking about being careful, if you buy one from EBay or similar, ensure it is clean and sterile. So decided to splurge and get a new one. Looks like it will be very useful!

Take care!
    • Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.