Dec 8 BTKR

Status
Not open for further replies.

freeriderNC

Country
United States United States
I'm scheduled for BKR in Dec 8. It's so close & im nervous but so ready for the pain to go away & to get back to living

Nearly there @freeriderNC ! This bit is the hardest. The mind races and imagination goes wild. Come here and share your nerves and fears. Plenty of other December members going through the same feelings!

You need some reading to take your mind off things!

Here y'go! Everybody gets a free copy of the recovery reading!

Here are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

Next is a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) thread.

And here are some very crucial articles
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Activity progression for TKRs

Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling

Home physio (PT) and activity progress: suggestions
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

And then some wise words from members who have shared their experiences ...
Where are you in recovery?? (TKR)
Five “P’s” of knee recovery
TKR: work “smarter” and not “harder”
Recovering a knee - from one who knows!
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's worth the wait for ROM

I'm scheduled for BKR in Dec 8. It's so close & im nervous but so ready for the pain to go away & to get back to living
I have got most of the things I need. I go for my pre-op meeting tomorrow. I was trying to reply but had forgot my password I have the App on my phone

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

My fears & nerves are definitely running wild Watched so many youtube videos and followed recoveries. I know I'm making the right decision because of the pain. The recovery is what I'm worried about. I'm so independent & OCD about things I always want to do them myself. My hubby is the best and he is my rock and has been for 46 years Hoping to learn more at the pre-op meeting tomorrow And with my anesteiaologist

The recovery is what I'm worried about. I'm so independent & OCD about things I always want to do them myself.
I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how mobile you are post surgery. They will teach you everything you need to know about moving around on your own before you leave the hospital. You may need help at home at first with things like lifting are carrying, house hold chores, etc. But it's a very temporary situation.

Do let us know how your pre-op meeting goes.

Hi Freerider. I am here in SC getting both my knees done this morning! I was really anxious but this morning I am ready! My surgery is at 7:30. Love this forum

Prayers for your surgery @scooterTR I'll be looking for your updates on progress
Thank you all for your encouragement I'm having difficulty moving around in this app. I'm very computer & phone smart but not with forums & threads
I will have plenty of help & support from my husband & family. My oldest son & wife lives right beside us. I already have a regular Walker. I was wondering is a rolling Walker with a seat ok to use also?
I go to the YMCA almost everyday walking & swimming in the water. Been trying to strengthen my muscles In my legs. I'll let you know how the meetings go

BTW how do I follow someone? And also why do I have to keep logging in when I try to go to another thread? Do I have to have a password on my phone App? Thanks

how do I follow someone?
You click on their user name just below their avatar. That takes you to their profile page. In the top right hand corner of their profile you will see "Follow". Just click on that link.
And also why do I have to keep logging in when I try to go to another thread? Do I have to have a password on my phone App?
Not sure about this as I always login from my desktop. I know @alexthecat sometimes uses her phone. Our technical guru @RichardRobins may also be able to help.

Good morning @freeriderNC. I was told not to use a walker with the seat, although I am not an bilateral. I would think it would be hard to "get up in the walker" for support. Not sure how to say that. My walker has the 2 wheels and then the tennis balls on the other legs. We could be sisters! I like to do things myself and my Darling husband and I sometimes disagree on the "how" things should be done..:heehee::heehee:. You just have to let it go for a bit. I survived and if anything, our strong relationship has gotten stronger. Sometimes, people want to help us, and don't know how. It really does make them feel good to know they can. Speak up and ask for what you need - don't expect someone to "know". Since we are usually so independent and do everything, I found my husband really did not know what all I did! Hahahaha! Prayers for a calm week and a good appointment today. Take your list of questions!

Thanks for all the help with my questions. I want to log my progress and trying to get use to using these threads. I pretty much have everything I need @Timetolive I wish I could get a life chair because I know my recliner will be too low.

@freeriderNC, there are several people that have built platforms for their recliners using 2x4s and plywood to raise them. It is a good option if you have an nice recliner. I am 5'8" and have a rocker recliner. We cut some pieces of 1x4 and put under the front edges of the sides of the recliner to keep it from rocking too far forward and be more stable. This has worked out perfectly for me.

Yes, there have been more than a few folks who have built a small platform for their recliner.

I did not need a plaltform, but I can tell you that my recliner was my fortress for weeks after my BTKR.

Good luck I'm having my RTKR the same day! Only good vibes and positive feels.

RTKR
08 Dec 15 @ 25 Years Young :)

I was able to purchase a lift chair today. My insurance will pay 60% of the cost. I have to file a claim to get reimbursed. Even if it don't pay much on it, I feel so much better since we got it set up today. My husbands back is not too good so, this will help him and me when I need to get up. Days are counting down and we pretty much got things organized & items I will need when I come home. We did some Christmas shopping today because I wanted to finish up for my grandkids. Our children will get money to do as they please. hoping they all come over and get my tree up this week end. Ready to be posting on the other side of Post Op :)

Glad you got your chair! You are in my prayers for a successful surgery and a peaceful recovery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts