THR Two down, none to go!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DebraR

senior
Country
Canada Canada
Not sure how to switch over to posting on the recovery side?!

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

@DebraR Well done on your surgery. To start a thread in the recovery area go to the Hip Replacement Recovery area (top of page there is a drop down menu under hip replacement). At the top of the recovery area you will see a black button that says Post New Thread. Click the button and insert a title for your thread and make your first post.

Let me know if you have any problems.

I am still in hospital so trying to get to the recovery side from my iPhone. I do not see the black button you are talking about. This is very distressing as I want to post about all I am going through.

So let me start here. Surgery was the19th (last Thursday) and it went well. Friday my operated leg felt like it was 800lbs. Physio came and showed me some exercises. Saturday I woke up and had stomach pains which developed into horrible diarrhoea, I was unable to control it and of course could not run to the bathroom. I also had a problem with a rapid heartbeat. Stomach pain lasted all day and also had slight fever. Sunday was much better, although the day started with the watery stool and stomach pain. Physio came and that went well. Woke up during the night last night with more stomach pain and gas. That seems to have resolved itself.

My main concern right now is excruciating nerve pain when I try to get out of bed and when I make certain movements. No one seems to be telling me anything, should I insist on seeing the surgeon who did my surgery? I am truly getting depressed. All would be ok except for this nerve pain!!!!!!!

DebraR, it's okay. Just keep posting here for now. Jaycey or another moderator can move your post-op updates to a recovery thread. Don't worry about that. Just take care of yourself.

I had watery stools and lots of gas after my THR too. The nurses were giving me stool softeners because they always give stool softeners to joint replacement patients. I told them that I didn't want to take that anymore. It's my choice, not theirs, and they were fine with that.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
@DebraR your new recovery thread. Let us know if you would prefer a different title. Tis easily edited.

My main concern right now is excruciating nerve pain when I try to get out of bed and when I make certain movements. No one seems to be telling me anything, should I insist on seeing the surgeon who did my surgery? I am truly getting depressed. All would be ok except for this nerve pain!!!!!!!
I certainly would. You shouldn't be suffering that. I'm surprised the physio hasn't commented or taken action for you. But it will most likely settle after a few days.

Are the nurses keeping on top of your pain meds? If not, be sure to bug them! But the first few days are always horrible.

@DebraR (oh Debra, just getting home 11:04 pm US ESTime)

Been looking for you since your last post 2 days before your surgery date....and saw you initial post, but then none till this eve. (just got home this eve & on line - - it's eastern std. time here 11:14 pm, same as you I think)

Been keeping ((((you in my heart-thoughts))) hoping to see a another post since you trying to get switched for "recovery side" techy stuff & so glad you got on earlier tonight & let us know what was happening.

Hoping your i-phone is picking this up... we're here for ya woman!! Good to see @Josephine got on after you shared here what's happening for you post-op 3 days now....oh, so sorry. ....it's just not okay at this point that your nurse is not takin a handle on that for ya and keeping you comfortable out of the gate - - on the otherside

Wondering if the stomach/diarrhea could be reaction from anesthesia. So hopin the meds being given to you to get you some relief like 2 days ago relief, plzzzz. I'm glad @Josephine to clarify what they should be doing for you in your hospital there woman !!

Until you are back on-line with us I'm sending you ((((comfort hugs)))) and hoping by the time you read our posts you are resting more comfortably with pain & diarrhea has settled down and you are enjoying liquids or soft foods.

So wish we could be right there with ya (((Debra))) we'd be down that hall grabbin one of those nurses or to get on track for those meds, and only the best of care for you...darn....since we can't be I'm (((prayin))) that medical staff nurse is on it and you are getting some relief now, 5 hours since you posted at 6:05 pm (est my time zone). & you are surely deserving of it to continue !!!

I'm a bit of a night-owl with my meds here at home and getting the 3rd dose in for my bedtime. Also I will be up sometimes wee-hrs in a.m. - - so post anytime, u know we here on hipster pre-op & recovery aren't on the normal sleepin zzzzz time, u may catch one or two of us up.

I'm up till midnight for my 3rd dose of meds....(((gentle hugs))) :SUNsmile: hoping you may very well be getting some much need zzzz after the tough 48+ hrs you've been havin
- - and that would be wonderful woman !!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, Josephine, I just learned how to do the @ for sending a post, didn't realize !!

Good morning everyone. Well had another night of stomach pain, got some medication (tylenol and oxycondone?) and it went away, but woke up in a pool of sweat. Determined to move the operated leg and get better, I tried to scrooch up in the bed which caused that nerve pain to shot down the inside of my leg from mid thigh to mid-calf. This now makes me fearful to get up. I want to exercise (walk) so badly but as I said I am terrified of that pain. My tummy pain has shown up again also! The nurse told me that the doctor will be coming to see me today. I will insist on them getting to the bottom of all this. Today is post op Day 5 and I expects to be home by Day 3 or 4! Appreciate any thoughts or advice any of you may have.

You are quite right to ask nerves are funny things, funny bone.......... its probably from all the manipulation. There are medications also that can reduce nerve pain. So speak out good luck

Legin THR Sep 14

Hi!! You are done!! Just keep thinking that, it will get better. I also had diarrhea post surgery.mi was panicking that I had c-diff. I found out I was getting stool softness and a laxative everyday. I asked them to stop the laxative and that problem cleared in a few days.

Yes, you need answers to your nerve pain. Is it in your groin at all and radiating down the inside of your thigh? If so ask about iliospoas. Nerves do have a way of letting us know they have been moved around during surgery and they are just not happy.

The pain is from mid-thigh (inside) to mid-calf (inside). It doesn't usually hurt unless I move it.

Hi Debra - OMG - I am so sorry you are having a rough time. I too had diarrhea problems at the hospital but they were giving me laxatives and softeners. Once I stopped taking them the problem cleared up. I am concerned about your nerve pain...shouldn't you be getting enough pain medication so that you don't have to go through this? I am hoping that your surgeon can clear up these issues for you. You shouldn't have to suffer like this....

And if I don't move, I don't get out of this hospital!!!

Nerve pain has subsided quite a bit. Once I get home I can post more and tell everyone all about the physiotherapist from hell. She actually motivated me though so I guess I have to be thankful for that! Anyone have any tips on how I can possibly do stairs tomorrow? I don't think they would keep me anyway, as I have been here 5 days, 6 if you could the surgery day. Nerve pain is apparently caused by all the banging getting the new joint in (which I heard by the way as I was awake during the surgery) and should resolve within a few days. Can you imagine, ortho was on the floor and would not come and see me so relayed this information

Didn't finish previous post. Related the information through the nurse.

Relayed not related

hello @DebraR
The first few days are hard for all different reasons. I felt a bit better just by getting home. i hope you do too.
x

I'm going home tomorrow! My surgeon stopped by today and said she didn't realize that I was still here. To that, I said to myself "&;::sh@t!". I chose this surgeon because she does six hip / knee replacements a week for the past twenty years. She stood there and couldn't believe that I had nerve pain! Wow. Anyway, she made me feel that I was taking way too long and that I should be further along in recovery, even when I mentioned the stomach issues, etc. I'll be ed the other one done at some point, next time I think I would still pick experience over niceness, but at least I know what to expect out of this experience! Much better today, nerve issues have subsided, feeling much stronger too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties