Bilateral TKR Dear Diary,

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwehyam

Hey ho.. newbie here.. I've had both knees replaced .. I used to ski on two (25 years ago) then one, then a snow board and then a mono-sitski as the knees finally broke up. (then my sitski was stolen:hissyfit:!) But after reading some of your stories, I'm thinking of going round again .. maybe starting on two skis.

I really have been impressed with the recovery stories and all on this web site.. And I'm looking for a bit of advice..from those who've made it back.. My flexion is about 135+ on on the knee done last August.. and about 125 on the knee done this March..

What worries me a bit is whether this is enough to avoid damage as I fall about while I recover my 'skills'.. So I'd be grateful if any skiers, boarders out there could tell me what their flexion is.. I remember I used to be able to sit on my heels.. but no more.. regards..

Re: seeking advice on flexion needed for skiing...

Hi and welcome. There's only one person here right now who can address your concerns. I'll call her here for you @skigirl:

So ..what do I do with this ?
email ski girl? or does the fact that she hasn't answered although on line imply she has no advice on this?? what ever... regards

You can always go to her thread and post a reply requesting input from her.

Hi, Skigirl had surgery today so you might have to wait a while for her to respond. Take a look through today's threads and you'll find her. Good luck. I'll be intereted to know as well. I'm a skier and only stopped two years ago when I was falling too much. Now I've had the surgery I may go back. Haven't decided yet.

Skigirl will get back to you, just give her some time as she is recovering from her surgery. She is the one to talk to about this subject.

Okay, sorry for the delay, I am in the hospital and I forgot the keyboard for my iPad.

There r 4 ski instructors in our SS ho have tkts and we r all pretty different I rom. Two--a man and a woman have rom at 125. Mine is a little higher. Right 148 and left is 145. One instructor struggles with arthrofibrosis , her rom is 100. We all ski without pain which is awesome. I think u will do fine.

I think, however, that u will have to look at your equipment. All of us have moved to softer boots , really an intermediate boot will be fine. I find myself that I like my skis tone 90 mm wide tops. I ski many days in a ski that is 78mm underfoot. I would be. Glad to help u with more info later when I have a keyboard.

But plan on skiing that is one door that is wide open?!!! Kelly

I work in the ski business and so know both patients and therapists. The general number bandied about is a flexion of 130.

Hi,
I am Crystal, BTKR in June of 2008. I have been "absent" for quite a while living life!
I went back to skiing in February of 2009 following my BTKR. I have skied every winter since! I used to be a part time PSIA-E instructor @ Loon Mtn in Lincoln, NH. Since my knee replacements I just ski for my own enjoyment since I am full time Self Employed as a Family Child Care provider (I take care of up to 6 children daily between 6 weeks and 6 years of age in my home).
It has been 4 years for me since my surgery. I do not think about my knees at all. It is like I have gotten my life back. I can stand, walk, hike, ski, kneel, garden, and live life as it should be lived!
Each implant has a maximum degrees it will bend. I have the J & J Dupey knees with a maximum ROM of 135. I have all I can have, and used the total gym to help get me there (purchased a used one on Craigslist for $100). Make sure you are prepared before surgery with exercises to the best of your ability. Muscle memory is a great thing.... Skiing is awesome again!
I have Level 3 PSIA instructor friends who ski full tilt in the bumps, and continue to teach skiing for a living after BTKR.
Personally, being self employed, my biggest fear is being hit by another skier skiing out of control. That would do me in.... I ski on weekends, so I get out early and ski until Noon. Then I go home. It helps because I get a Dependent Guest Season's Pass thru my husband, so I don't worry about the $.
Look forward to living life again with good knees!

Hey ho Ski Girl..
Hope you'r operation goes fine.. As for the information from all responses.. and other threads on this site..Thanks.. I only wish I'd had my knees done earlier.. :secretaea:

However looking forward;
I'm setting myself fitness targets because I'm going back into the mountains next season on my own two legs (and zimmer nexgens) no doubt at all :yahoo:
regards

Hi and welcome;
I admire your positive attitude, but I caution you about setting fitness goals.

I had unrealistic expectations re:when I could begin climbing mountains again and when I could ice climb. When I couldn't meet those deadlines, it was very demoralizing.
I ultimately moved my expectations back.
Unfortunately, I ended up needing another surgery...Now armed with a new knee (max flex on it is 140 according to the manufacturer).
IMO I can ski on that!!!

See you out on the slopes!!!!
Sandy

Hey ho Crystal, thanks for the response..and encouragement.. the only bit that worries me a little is you and your colleagues, and Skigirl and hers, are all clearly much better skiers than I was.
And this is despite the fact that older I get the better I was..
I used to belong to the "crash and burn if you're going to learn" school but was expelled for bad behaviour. Although I used to race on grass skis but I've grown up a bit since then...

So my question is do you ever fall? And if so, is the amount of flexion relevant here?

regards

Hi and welcome;
I admire your positive attitude, but I caution you about setting fitness goals.

Now armed with a new knee (max flex on it is 140 according to the manufacturer).
IMO I can ski on that!!!

See you out on the slopes!!!!
Sandy

Hey ho Sandy..
thanks for the response.. .. I have to set goals and targets.. I'm at an age where the horizon really is closing in... I need the future to keep me going during the present.. If I dont make it.. I'll just set some more..

BUT on an optimistic note.. if a 140 is going to be enough for you then thats what I'm aiming at. And a one legged squat .. well maybe not, but certainly a squat down there somewhere!

Sure I fall all the time, I do have to take a ski off to get up, but that is a small price to pay?

Why not take a couple of lessons. Ask for an instructor with a fake knee, two or three lessons and you will be on your way !!

Hey ho Ski girl arent you supposed to be under the surgeons knife?
Any way thanks for that.. I'm most encouraged.. really. I feel released..

BTW do you know Kimberley Barreda.. She's a sitskier and uses Whitefish.. I have some Youtube videos of her.. .. Ptarmigan Bowl mean anything to you..

Hey ho Crystal, thanks for the response..and encouragement.. the only bit that worries me a little is you and your colleagues, and Skigirl and hers, are all clearly much better skiers than I was.
And this is despite the fact that older I get the better I was..
I used to belong to the "crash and burn if you're going to learn" school but was expelled for bad behaviour. Although I used to race on grass skis but I've grown up a bit since then...

So my question is do you ever fall? And if so, is the amount of flexion relevant here?

regards

Sure I fall. I try not to, but it happens. I agree with Kelly. Take a private lesson with an instructor who will spend time with you 1:1. You will be amazed how it all comes back to you. Look forward to it, make it a goal is my advice!

My OS recommended that I ski the greens for a while until I get my "ski legs" back. I used to ski blues and the opccasional black. Maybe you are more like me?

I didn't ski at all last winter...well we didn't have much of a winter in New England, but I was in need of a revision and now am dealing with a bad back.
I'd like to think that I'll be ready come next winter, but I'm not so sure.
I didn't know that there was skiing in the UK!
As for running "out of time", after you get your new knee you will just be getting started!!!!

hey ho Sandy..
Almost all skiing in the UK is done in the Alps! Though I have been going to Are in Sweden for the last 3 years. I've been skiing a sitski.. see the avatar.. its a seat on a shock absorber on a single ski.. primarily skied by people with lower limb disability, bi-amputees etc and it is raced down downhill courses in the paralympics, but not by me I hasten to add! but I can ski it down the same sort of slopes I could ski when I gave skiing up due to the pain!
blues and reds .. in Europe greens are generally really icy almost flat and totally unskable slopes used to frighten total beginners.. blues and reds are for intermediates and I suppose correspond to your greens blues and the easy blacks which dont have diamonds on them.

BUT I have a snow dome (indoor slope in a fridge) 180 metres 15 deg slope about 45 miles away.. bit short BUT nevertheless ideal for me to try get back into the saddle.. all I need is get there and do it. I'm on my way..

regards..

I think Jo talked about a Snow dome near to her. I have never seen one. I think that it would fun in the summer!!

I am the Elan Ambssador for my mountain which is in Whitefish, Montana, we are hoping to convince lucca, the designer to make more awesome off piste skis for both men and women. On our mountain, you get to have a season pass for free after age 70.

Kim is a great friend of mine--she rips on her sit ski. She has been helping with the wounded Warrior program---they come for a week in early Feb. Last year we had 7 men and one woman. We find whatever equipment that they need t0 get on skis. This year we had a young solider who lost his leg in Arghanistan in Sept. There he was snowboarding with a prosthetic and doing a great job. Our CEO is wonderfully supportive of the program and we comp everything for them and their families. We have received some heart wrenching thank yu notes.

Kimberly is an inspiration to all of us, she flies down the mountain. So many of the men feel excited to go fast again after loosing legs and arms in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Kim's husband is missing a foot and he skis on one ski. he also rips. time for pain meds for me. Kelly

Hey ho ski girl.. Kelly... nice post.. I envy you.. sounds like a good community..

I go 'regularly' to the disabled ski school in Are (Sweden). It's more than awesome what they can do with, and for, the kids and broken people in the mountains.

Last year I also went on a ski holiday with a DSUK (disabled snowsports UK) organised group. Two of the helpers only had 2 legs between them!
I learnt a lot that week too.

get better ..
regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads