BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community

Cycling club for us

Discussion in 'Social Room' started by Roy Gardiner, Oct 16, 2011.

1. reetpteet

reetpteet Senior

Go Historian!
  2. TheHistorian

TheHistorian Post-Grad

3. bottomshollow

bottomshollow Moderator

United States United States
  4. referee54

referee54 Moderator

CONGRATULATIONS!!! That is a great picture of an awesome moment!!!:bicycle1:
  5. TheHistorian

TheHistorian Post-Grad

Thanks. Still need work, however. That photo was taken after I'd put in four miles. The first few stops and starts were touch and go. As I expected, figuring out just where the right foot goes down takes some work, and I have muscles that need to be retrained. Also, I lowered the saddle since I had trouble mounting and dismounting at the old height, which means I'm not getting enough of an extension on the lowest part of the pedal stroke. As I was flailing around trying to get underway, I said aloud to a friend, "did you know I once completed a two week 580 mile tour? I'm sure I had to mount and dismount at least once during it."
  6. referee54

referee54 Moderator

Hey---it is not a small victory, but a large one! Enjoy the rides and enjoy the retraining of those pesky muscles! In just a little bit, that saddle will be at the right height and you will be movin' on---and there will be plenty of correct extension!

Just enjoy your new freedom and the cycling brotherhood and sisterhood!
  7. referee54

referee54 Moderator

I have a few rides planned this week---a medium ride tomorrow and a long ride on Monday---then a short, quick ride on either Wednesday or Thursday---then rest until Saturday. My daughter, my son-in-law, and myself will be riding the 150-mile two-day tour for the National MS society---the Pedal to the Point. 75 miles on Saturday, an overnight stay, and then we ride 75 miles back!

One of my former students, and now a teaching colleague, is afflicted with this disease---and some of my other colleagues have family members who are battling it. I am riding, then, for those who cannot ride.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

Great photo and you have every reason to be proud. This is an accomplishment!!! And it's just the beginning.....
  9. TheHistorian

TheHistorian Post-Grad

Yes, today 8 miles on the Indian Creek Valley Trail north of the town of Indian Head. Here I am crossing Melcroft Trestle:

[​IMG]
  10. TheHistorian

TheHistorian Post-Grad

I did the MS City to Shore from Cherry Hill to Ocean City, NJ, in 2007 and 2008. I too rode for folks who couldn't ride. Good luck on your ride this year.
  11. referee54

referee54 Moderator

Thanks! I have no doubt that once those muscles of yours get acclimated to doing what they are supposed to do, that you will enjoy your rides more than ever! Those are great pics!
  12. Lgastreich

Lgastreich Member

Glad to see the posts on this site. Congrats, Historian for successful first rides. My first ride 8 weeks post-op THR should be this Saturday. I'm nervous, too. But it will be a flat course and probably on my mountain bike. I watched posts from some family members from RAGBRAI this week (http://ragbrai.com). They inspired me to work hard to start riding again, but I'm not sure I want to try the event again next summer.
  13. TheHistorian

TheHistorian Post-Grad

Next ride is Saturday. Aiming for at least a dozen miles.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. RICBAK1

RICBAK1 Senior

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Tried my bike out today been riding indoor upto 10 miles now ,seat is very high so was unsure how to stop so just kept riding in circles then jusy stopped against kerb that was on mountain bike so then tried road bike had to move seat back and longer head stem but felt okay.Will try out this weekend on what used to be my normal circuit of 15 miles i used to do at least 3 circuits before op hope i can do 1 lap my be to much will get my wife to follow in car first time.
  15. reetpteet

reetpteet Senior

hey - well done you. Getting back in touch with 'normal', feels good? first night in caravan ok, no probs so far!
  16. TheHistorian

TheHistorian Post-Grad

A dozen miles. I feel hot, sweaty, tired, fat, and old. But alive. Very alive. And no knee pain.

I raised the saddle, and that helped me ride easier. But my fit is off because of the new geometry. I might even need a larger frame size.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. RICBAK1

RICBAK1 Senior

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    A dozen miles know wonder your proud, i tried today but maybe because of swimming friday and riding indoor bike or whatever but woke up today knee like a baloon and could hardly bend knee all day.Feel so frustrated sometimes had a good day friday thought right ride bike on road saturday and knee said no, hopefully soon will wake up with same amount of movement as when i went to bed.I am really pleased you are doing well never mind sweat be alive .
  18. Lgastreich

Lgastreich Member

I thought the (much-needed) rain was going to keep me inside today, but by noon we were able to get out. I was able to celebrate my 8-week mark as I had hoped, with a first bike ride post-op. Just 5 miles on an absolutely flat service. I was surprised at how nervous I was and how even the thought of stopping for the first time made me edgy. All was well. The trail was nearly empty and after the first mile or so I was able to enjoy being on a bike again. I was also surprised at how quickly I tired. I guess it should have been obvious that I would be calling on some muscles today that had been allowed to take a 2-month rest. I think they were a little surprise and disoriented. I'm not sure when I'll be able to get out again. I would like my husband to go with me the first few times and our schedules don't always match up. I'm also wondering about how I go about building up miles and strength. Since today was 5, should the next ride be 6? More? Mostly though, I'm happy to have hit another recovery milestone.
    get-attachment-1.jpg
    • Like Like x 1
  19. TheHistorian

TheHistorian Post-Grad

Congratulations!

The old rule of thumb I learned is that you shouldn't exceed your previous mileage by more than 10 per cent. Even people with 'healthy' joints can overstress them, and the rest of their body, by stepping up mileage too quickly. My going from 4 to 8 to 12 miles violates that rule, but then again once I get going I'm hard to stop. I'm paying the price tonight - I'm sore all over. Tomorrow I'm going to cry like a little girl.
    :bicycle1:
  20. TheHistorian

TheHistorian Post-Grad

BTW, this was on the Bartram Trail in Hamburg, PA. The six mile trail is an abandoned railroad line that passes through woods, runs alongside old railroad cuts, and crosses the Appalachian Trail at Port Clinton, PA. Its well worth the time if you ever find yourself in the area.