BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. PLEASE NOTE THAT ONE RECOVERY THREAD ONLY IS PREFERRED. PLEASE DON'T START ADDITIONAL THREADS ABOUT YOUR RECOVERY.

Crooked leg, can it really be straight?

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Equestrienne, May 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Equestrienne

Equestrienne Junior Member

I have seen before and after photos, and it's really excited me to see how some have straightened out after the TKR.. Currently, my left knee "caves in" and completely touches my right knee. It's deformed, looks like a bent twig.

Since having seen after photos where the leg is returned to the normal position, I realize the limb can be straight. :snork:

Since my left knee caved in, and worsened, I notice that I walk on the outer "edge" of my left foot. It's as if all of my mechanics are completely out of whack. My question is, will my stride and ability to properly walk return to me, bit by bit?

I want to be patient, and do realize that all of these issues did not arise all at once, that things happened a little at a time, so assume that they will return in the same fashion?

2. highland pony

highland pony Member

I hope so My knee needs replaced after and accident and my hip hurts because my leg is now bent

3. Josephine

Josephine Forum Admin and Mother Hen Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Of course it will! And once the deformity in your knee is corrected, your foot will strike the ground normally as well.
    Remember "Everything's connected to everything else"!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Roy Gardiner

Roy Gardiner Forum Advisor

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hello, Jana; I had awful bow legs before BTKR, dead straight now. And I'm almost a cm taller!

• Like Like x 1
  5. KathyH

KathyH Sr Bonesmartie

My left knee goes inwards too, Jana. So I was interested to see the answers :thumb:

Kathy
    xx

6. Orthodoc

Orthodoc Forum Advisor

The correction of the angular deformity of the leg is an integral part of performing a successful knee replacement. In other words, Yes, it will be corrected. Good Luck

Orthodoc

• Like Like x 1
  7. Equestrienne

Equestrienne Junior Member

We are both "lefties" today, at 1pm, I have my ortho consult to determine surgery date. Nervous!!!

• Like Like x 1
  8. 1ELISEA

1ELISEA Forum Advisor

United States United States
    One of the few things I'm looking forward to with this TKR is having the leg straightened and hopefully fixing the limp from a leg length discrepancy. The one leg is shorter than the other because of its crookedness.

If it won't help, don't tell me.
    :secretaea:

9. kneeper

kneeper Forum Advisor

One of the things I noticed early on was that my leg was now straight. It actually felt a little strange at first to be more "normal." But I like it! :biggrin:

10. BLAKQUEEN

BLAKQUEEN Member

Glad to hear that my one bowed leg will be straight

11. bassplayer

bassplayer Senior

I was bowlegged my whole life. For me it was an added bonus after the TKR when I discovered that my leg had been straightened! I had no idea that was part of it. That leg is now 1-2cm longer. I'm looking forward to having the other leg straightened (and lengthened) too.

• Like Like x 1
  12. PooShay

PooShay Sr Bonesmartie

Look at my avatar! Knees caved in gradually over The years. Now they are board straight. My OS got a hug for this!

• Like Like x 1
  13. TheHistorian

TheHistorian Post-Grad

I'll spare you the photos, but when I had my knees replaced they corrected the valgus in both of them.

14. mamakat

mamakat New Member

interesting question. i'm bowlegged from birth but there's even more deformity in my rt knee now w/the severe arthritis. i'm afraid my legs will be different lengths post op. my husband's aunt's legs are different lengths due to a bad car accident and she has to buy special shoes that support a wedge.
    having to have a TKR at my age in enough insult to injury, nevermind ending up wearing old lady shoes w/wedges.
    i ain't going down like that.

• Like Like x 2
  15. GrandyGirl

GrandyGirl Graduate

I had a TLR in January and am waiting to have my other knee done. To be honest with you, I was expecting much more in terms of straight legs but maybe it will seem different when the other leg is done. I have been encouraged to wait until my other knee is replaced before forming a final opinion about whether or not my legs are straight.

But there are dozens of people here who have stellar reports about their new straight lets post surgery...so listen to them and be encouraged. The final verdict is still out on mine. However, I feel great and the pain is GONE so it was definitely worth it for me anyway!

Dori
    aka GrandyGirl

• Like Like x 1
  16. Orthodoc

Orthodoc Forum Advisor

When a severe deformity is corrected, the leg will feel longer than it did previously. Its a simple matter of geometry. The leg will be approximately the same length if you measure it from the hip to the knee, then from the knee to ankle. The difference that surgery makes, is that now the length will be going through a straight line rather than having a significant angle in the middle.

It is rather rare for a patient to complain about leg length discrepancy after knee replacement. That concern is much more common for hip replacements.

A leg length discrepancy from a car accident is a different problem and I would not expect you and your husband's aunt to a similar outcome. Good luck.

Orthodoc

• Like Like x 1
  17. TheHistorian

TheHistorian Post-Grad

In my case I gained a couple of inches in height but my trouser inseam didn't change.

18. rosi

rosi Junior Member

I know that this reply is a bit late, but I have a concrete example of how a TKR can make a crooked leg into a straight leg. I lived with a crooked left leg for years, which eventually became a real deformity. I could not put knees and ankles together at the same time. My left lower leg splayed out at a rather alarming angle. During this time, I purchased a pair of dressy wide legged trousers that I wore only on special/holiday occasions. Needless to say they lasted years. When I purchased them, I had them professionally shortened and hemmed. My LTKR occurred in June, so I didn't have the trousers out until well into the holiday season. As I looked at myself in a full length mirror, I noticed that the left trouser leg was a good 2" shorter than the right. I fiddled and ruched the waist, thinking I had somehow bunched things up. Do you know it took me 3 more attempts at wearing these same trousers until the penny dropped. Straight legs are longer than crooked legs,:DOH:

• Like Like x 1
  19. tashia

tashia Sr Bonesmartie

I do hear your fear but I have to think that the doctors deal with this all the time. I would also think if one leg is shorter than another after surgeon then a pair of inserts would be the solution. I have one shorter than another and I found that when I had the surgeon I had two legs that matched perfect. I know this is scary but do remember that with today medicane and skill they can fix things Please Relax and take a deep breath, All the worrying isn't going to help. Please take care and know that others have been where you are and came out ok. :doggieshmooze:Tashia:friends:

20. TheHistorian

TheHistorian Post-Grad

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.