BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. PLEASE NOTE THAT ONE RECOVERY THREAD ONLY IS PREFERRED. PLEASE DON'T START ADDITIONAL THREADS ABOUT YOUR RECOVERY.

Core Decompression Recovery

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Erimus66, Nov 8, 2013.

1. Erimus66

Erimus66 New Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi All
    I am new to the forums.
    Sorry if there is already an existing thread, but couldn't find one.
    I was diagnosed with bilateral AVN yesterday and my right hip is in need of THR, but the OS has suggested an urgent core decompression for my left hip which is currently pain free.

I am concerned that the recovery time will be more than the one week he has intimated.
    I work offshore and only get paid for the time I work and do not qualify for sick pay, so a fast recovery time is essential for obvious reasons.

Can anyone share their experiences on recovery time? I am a47 year old male, 6' 3" and around 118KG.

Thank you!

2. buttonsmurphy

buttonsmurphy Junior Member

Ireland Ireland
    Hi eirmuss66 welcome you are in the right place .. The guys on this forum are Brillant and will help ya along the way :).. My husband had a core decompression done in July 2013... He was sick from the epidural. And he was on crutches for 6 weeks he was told he had to use them for 6 weeks as the bone would be weak from the drilling:) it did relieve the pain in his bum that he had inly for 3 weeks and then it all started again ... ... It was a complete waste if time getting it done. (Sorry o know u don't want to hear this ) .. So now he is over his total hip replacment operation on Wednesday just gone and doing well :). I must tell ya when he was signed over to the hip surgeon after his X-rays showed more collapse and more AVN on his hip ... She said that she personally wouldn't have done a core decompression :) and we taught the same .... It didn't work ... I think your docter is telling u a little porky about it only been a week to get over it ... As far as I know u can't put weight on the leg for 6 weeks :) the best of luck with the choice u make. :)

3. Erimus66

Erimus66 New Member

Thank you for the welcome and reply :)
    I am due back at the hospital on Monday morning for pre assessment. I am not sure how long after this I am likely to be given an appointment for the actual CD. But I have also read elsewhere on another forum that CD can be even more painful than a THR ! And takes just as long to recover. I am wondering how and if I can speak to the OS again before I go any further as I have questions I would like answering before proceeding any further.
    The OS said about 10 days to recover. Someone else also suggested that I look into a vascular graft?
    This is all very confusing , I guess I should ask about how I can see him again to ask my questions when I attend pre assessment. :scratch:

4. alexthecat

alexthecat Forum Advisor

I have no experience with CD, so I can't offer any advice on that. I will tag Josephine though. She's our medical expert and will surely have some wisdom to contribute.

5. Josephine

Josephine Forum Admin and Mother Hen Administrator

Hi there and welcome to BoneSmart. I'll do my best to address your queries.
    I have no idea exactly what he is planning to do and so that might be the case. You said he wanted you in urgently - did he explain why the rush? Has he seen something in your xrays that requires this? It is possible (and I'm guessing here) that he sees some bone death (AVN) and the potential for collapse. It's also possible that he believes if he puts in some implants now it will have a better chance of regeneration than if it was left till things deteriorated. In that case, the recovery might well be shorter but one week? I don't think so! Not in my experience.
    It depends upon the type of implants/grafts he uses. You can see more detail about this procedure here Core Decompression of the hip.
    The vascularised fibular graft is described in the article I just left you.
    Most certainly you should talk with him about this. I am amazed at the lack of information you have been given. The whole ethos of surgery is based around a written consent for surgery. This has to be an informed consent as it is wrong and legally irresponsible for doctors to have you sign consent without fully understanding what is going to be done and why, what the alternatives are, what the possible complications are and so on.

If this surgeon is suggesting this instead of a hip replacement because of your age, that is a definite no-no! Age is no longer (and hasn't been for quite a time) a barrier to hip replacement. We've had members here in their 20s had hip replacements and lots in their 30s and 40s, most with AVN.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of CD, simply because I've seen so many go through it, spend months on crutches and in pain only to find that it hasn't worked and they had to have a replacement anyway. During which time they have wasted almost a year of their lives for nothing! Have a replacement and it's all over and done with within 12 weeks or so and within a year, then have that wonderful "forgotten hip".

So what to do about your present situation:
    1. phone the surgeon's secretary and ask for an appointment to have a discussion with the surgeon as you want some answers before you decide to proceed with the surgery
    2. make a list of questions
    3. remember that you have the final say about this, not the surgeon. You must not allow yourself to be pressured into this without knowing all the facts and being comfortable with your understanding of them
    4. take nothing for granted or 'as read', press for more information until you are satisfied you know everything you need to know. I can guide you there.
    5. keep notes and then deliberate and consider all you have learned, with your nearest and dearest if you can
    6. once you have all these ducks in a row, only then make your decision and inform the surgeon. If you decide not to go for the CD but prefer to wait for a THR and he refuses to consider it on account of your age, just say thank you and leave. I can help you find another surgeon who will be more accomodating

Questions to ask:
    - why the rush?
    - exactly what is a core decompression, how is it done and what implants or grafts do you use?
    - are you really sure it will only be 10 days recovery? Does that mean I can go back to work immediately after that?
    - what might/will happen if I decide not to go ahead with this right now? (have him talk you through this on the xrays)
    - my hip is presently free of pain and symptoms, won't this cause damage that might lead to serious problems for a later date?

And for my own interest, which hospital and surgeon are you seeing?
    I was also intrigued by this comment ... you will be entitled to some sickness benefit from the government? I know it won't be much by comparison to your usual wage but at least it will be something.

6. Poppet

Poppet Honourary Moderator

Australia Australia
    Welcome, great that you have joined. Jo has given you expert information, she has a wealth of experience and knowledge.

Do let us know how you go :)

7. buttonsmurphy

Ireland Ireland
    I think Josephine is right and from being on this forum since my husband got his core decompression and from speaking to Josephine at the time ..) but now a year and 3 months my husband has had a total hip replacement so quoted from Josephine it's all for nothing because from even going research myself and from what Josephinehave said .. Most have to go for the Total hip replacement after the core decompression Anyway ... :) the best of luck on Monday ... And yes I do believe it does take longer to recover as u do have to be I crutches for a long time after it[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

8. Erimus66

Erimus66 New Member

Thank you Alex!

9. Erimus66

Erimus66 New Member

Thank you Poppet!

10. Erimus66

Erimus66 New Member

Josephine
    Thank you so much for taking the time and trouble to leave me such an informative and detailed reply.

The OS said it was to late to do anything for my right hip and said THR would be needed next year. He went on to explain that my left hip is showing signs of AVN too and suggested the CD ASAP in order to try and save it from developing further AVN and subsequent collapse. (I have zero pain or problem in this hip so far)

Thank you for posting the link with detail on CD and Vascularised fibulae graft, I will read it after I have written this reply.

I don't think he is suggesting the CD because of my age, I just think he is wanting to do it to genuinely give me a chance of saving the hip without the need for a THP. Although he did stress it was only a 50% chance of success. I felt a little bit rushed after the consultation and in hindsight I should have insisted he answer some question, although having said that, I was in a state of shock having just been diagnosed. He wrote down AVN and CD and suggested I do some online research which obviously I have done and also found this wonderful forum.
    So I would imagine he would realise I am going to have further questions.
    Now I am unsure whether to ring and cancel my appointment for pre assessment which is booked for Monday at 9.30 am.
    Maybe I should cancel and then try to speak to the orthopaedic outpatients reception to see about making another appointment to ask my questions including the great suggestions of things to ask provide by you Josephine.

I am attending the university hospital of North Tees and the surgeon is called Raj Logishetty.

Yes I think I will be entitled to some sick pay from the government, but yes, not a great deal in comparison to my usual pay. Money is tight right now as I got married back in April and still in the process of paying off credit cards etc....

Once again thank you so much for your help and advice Josephine.

Dave

11. Poppet

Australia Australia
    Hi Dave, I will tag Josephine. You are in a difficult situation and I remember the state of shock I was in when told I had AVN and my hip had collapsed.. We need time to process this information. I am so pleased you have joined the forum, we are very privileged to have Jo, she cares deeply about all BS members..

I look forward to following your thread... btw, congrats on getting married :)

Cheers,

12. Josephine

I would suggest that is an extremely optimistic evaluation. More like 25% in my experience.
    I think that would be a jolly good idea. You should never ever allow yourself to be rushed into a major surgery unless it is a matter of life and death which this clearly is not.
    So did you miss No 1 of my suggestions?
    Don't bother with the girls in the ortho OP, they don't have the authority to make you an appointment, not only which, going through them will mean you get a regular appointment in about 3 months time! They are only able to issue appointments to either a doctor's letter or surgeon's instructions. Just phone the hospital and ask to speak to Mr Logishetty's secretary.

13. Erimus66

Erimus66 New Member

Thank You once again for some great advice Josephine, I will be on the phone tomorrow morning and will call and ask for Mr Logishetty's secretary. It didn't register that I am able to even do that! But that definitely is the option I must take. (I sometimes struggle to be assertive) but my wife is helping on that side of things and she is also reading your very helpful replies.

I will also cancel the pre assessment as that is just wasting their time and the NHS money if I am not going ahead with surgery at this time (probably not at all)

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Erimus66

Erimus66 New Member

Poppet thank you for nutrition link, I am going to read through this right now, almost missed it ! So much to read right now !

15. Poppet

Australia Australia
    My pleasure Erimus66

Nite, nite from Australia :)

16. had the "core"

had the "core" New Member

United States United States
    Hi, I am new to this Board. I am a 62 year old female, legal assistant. Since September I have had pain in my groin and down my thigh to my knee. Thought I pulled something while carrying my baby granddaughter. Xrays showed a perfect bone. However, pain got worse and no meds helped. My doctor sent me to an Ortho doctor who sent me for an MRI. The MRI showed avascular necrosis in the early stages. Doc suggested the core decompression since the damage was not too far in advance. The doc immediately took me off the leg (used a cane) until my procedure and I am now on a walker (4 days out of surgery). I have no pain, I have not had to use any pain meds at all. I am back to work taking only 2 days off after the surgery (which was on a Monday). I see the doc on Dec 2 to have staples removed and find out how much longer I must use walker.

I am posting this because everything I've read so far about the core decompression has been so negative. I don't know why, but so far so good for me. Hope this helps other patients out there with the same problem.

17. buttonsmurphy

Ireland Ireland
    Hi had the core :) ... I replied here because my husband just like you got the core done last July :) the pain was gone for about 2 months and all was looking good until the pain crept back with avengance ... So here he is a year a year and 3 months on after refusing another core decompression operation in June this year :) and on the 6 th October 2013 just gone he has had he total hip replacement ... So speaking from experience and from the hip surgeon ... He should not have had the core operation done ... But he is fine niw recovery ing nicely and his pain is gone. Only has stiff in the cut that he had for his operation:) ... I hope all goes well with you in the future :)

18. Josephine

Hi there had the 'core'. I'm so pleased you've had such a good experience and grateful you have shared it with us. What kind of CD did you have? There are several different types. I would hazard a guess that you had tantalum implants as shown below which certainly are a less gruelling option but overall the procedure is not bathed in the glory of long term success! Here's hoping you will be one that is. :thumb:

mjm1001p004f1-horz.jpg

19. Poppet

Australia Australia
    Hi had the "core" welcome!

I am pleased you have had a good result from your CD this FA and I hope that your positivity experience continues :) We see so many failed and difficult experiences of CD with members and I guess for us it is so different to hear from a member who has had a positive experience.

The important factor to consider is that we are all individuals and there are so many variables leading into surgery with each and everyone's recovery whether it be from a CD or a THR and all of these factors must be taken into consideration.

None of us have a crystal ball when we are being wheeled into the OR. We all hope we have have the 'perfect, classic' surgery' leading to a similar recovery... But sadly for a variety of reasons, it doesn't always happen this way.

I am very happy for you, and wish you well :)

btw, now that you are in recovery, maybe you would like to start up a thread of your own on the hip recovery side, that way will can answer any questions you may have have and staff and members can post to you directly :)