BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. PLEASE NOTE THAT ONE RECOVERY THREAD ONLY IS PREFERRED. PLEASE DON'T START ADDITIONAL THREADS ABOUT YOUR RECOVERY.

Cooking and Recipe Forum

Discussion in 'Social Room' started by Jamie, Aug 10, 2011.

1. doug

doug Forum Advisor

United States United States
    Davrunner, that is exactly what I add to my cornbread. That and a bowl of pinto beans and ham, I'm in heaven.

2. welshjane

welshjane Senior

Being a nutritional therapist, I tend to think in terms of 'food as medicine'. To that end, I've been working at some healthy flapjacks that may assist with constipation in hospital - a problem most of us suffer from because of the pain meds.

Here is the recipe:

100g/ 1/2 cup coconut oil
    90g / scant 1/2 cup blackstrap molasses
    40g / 1/4 cup dark muscovado sugar
    200g / 1.3 cups jumbo oats
    40g / 6 tbsp ground flax seed
    100g / 1/2 cup prunes, pitted and chopped
    45g / 1.5 ounces walnuts, roughly chopped

Method:
    Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/gas 5. Lightly grease a 20cm square tin (I haven't got one, so I use an oblong baking sheet and a rolled up piece of foil to reduce the size to a square.
    Over low heat, melt together the coconut oil, molasses and sugar, stirring, until the sugar is dissolved.
    Combine the oats, prunes, walnuts and liquid mixture. Spoon into the tin, press into the corners and flatten the top.
    Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes.
    Remove from the oven and cut into 16 squares while still warm. Leave to cool completely before removing from the tin.
    Store in an airtight container, or wrap individually in foil.

Drink one or two glasses of water or other fluid with one or two of these, as that helps to bulk up the ground flaxseed.

Substitute honey for molasses if you prefer, and pecans for walnuts.

I take no responsibility for the US equivalent measures, which I got off a converter on the internet. When one of my cookbooks was published in the US, they had to employ a professional writer to 'Americanize' it! I couldn't do that myself, accurately.

3. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

Now those sound GREAT!!!! I like the idea of adding flax seed and the jumbo oats. Yum!

4. nanamac

nanamac Don

I'm too lazy after just having my left hip replacement. Will somebody please make me a batch of Bumpa's oatmeal raisin cookies? I finished the last 2 cookies when I got home from rehab.

The things are addictive and the best ever!

I may have to make a double batch...:DOH:

5. nanamac

nanamac Don

Yup, just made another double batch. Unbelievably delicious!

Thanks again @Bumpa: !

• Like Like x 1
  6. Bumpa

Bumpa Forum Advisor

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Bless you Janet, I'm blushing (and at my age!). I also need to make another batch as my daughter and her two daughters are coming 'home' from Saudi Arabia next Wednesday.

7. nanamac

nanamac Don

:blush:...I got scolded for baking so soon after my THR! Boy, was it worth it though...:th_heehee:

8. welshjane

welshjane Senior

@Jamie:, do you think that recipe could be moved to the constipation and stool softeners thread. Seems more appropriate there...

Thank you.

Jane

9. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

It's already in the Library thread, Jane.

10. abunnybabe

abunnybabe Graduate

Hey Jamie and Doug...Great to see you both still cooking!
    Doug I need a recipe for jalapeno cheese grits. I made them for the first time yesterday they were delicious, but they first kind of spread out over the plate and then kind of jelled. Are they supposed to do that? I used Quaker quick grits-the only ones I could find in NY...quit laughing!

11. doug

doug Forum Advisor

Terri, sometimes you have to just go with what you've got.
    Grits will get very thick once they cool down some. I prefer them thick to being soupy.
    Don't make it too complicated. I don't have the patience to stand and stir the old fashioned "stone ground grits" anymore. I use the instant grits. You just follow the directions for making them.

For the jalapenos, make sure you seed them and remove the membrane. I would also saute them in some butter before adding them to the grits.
    As for the cheese, a very sharp cheddar is best. Again, start small and add until it has your special taste.
    Also, even with all of its evil reputation, you have to add just a little salt to grits.
    I have used a low sodium chicken broth that really adds flavor. But then, don't add salt.
    For us, cheese grits are most frequently served with fried seafood.
    In fact, there are great recipes for "grits and shrimp", a big specialty in the south Georgia/Savannah region.
    You can have that for breakfast, lunch or supper!

Now see, you got me going with this. Here's an interesting recipe I found, I've never tried to bake grits but I think it would be good especially with that little crust you get around the edges.
    http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/cheddar-cheese-grits-casserole-10000001120186/

12. cotton1958

cotton1958 Supremo

Back in TN and here in GA, we usually do grits for breakfast, but now that they are easier to find, can do them as your starch with any meal. Yes, it wasn't too man years ago they could be hard to find in some stores. For casserole cooking, I do use quick grits, never instant. We use the stone-ground grits for fancier meals as they do require slower cooking/almost soaking type of prep like an oatmeal.

There used to be a garlic and jalapeno-cheese grit recipe used, when Kraft made those processed garlic and jalapeno cheese rolls.

Now I just follow directions on the box, usually sub a milk product for water, add any melting cheese, pour in a casserole, and bake. You can add an egg if you want them to fluff a little bit.

And best of all I do a gruyere grit recipe too.

13. abunnybabe

abunnybabe Graduate

Well, sounds like I made them right, they sure as hey-ek were taystee as Paula Dean would say! I sa going more for a Cajun dinner, I made balcked fresh caught fluke and the jalapeno cheese grits and hubby accused me of making restaurant food! ( a joke we have )

14. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

Oh boy.....I want to come to dinner at YOUR house!!!

15. doug

doug Forum Advisor

I had to look up "fluke" to see what kind of fish that is. It's called a flounder here. I've never tried to blacken one. We use Red fish(red drum) for that. Best done with a cast iron skillet outside.
    The first time my dad saw it done, it was a riot. He kept saying "why would you burn a good @#$% piece of fish?" Once I gave it to him with some garlic butter, he loved it.
    We also blacken lots of shrimp.
    Flounder/fluke, we usually stuff with a crab meat stuffing.

16. JustJessie

JustJessie New Member

I made this the other night and it's what brought me back to this forum today, AMAZING! It definitely satisfied my chocolate craving! I recommend it to anyone!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Cflower

Cflower Member

I live cooking and and been catering for 21 years now. I'm so glad to be back on my feet and cooking more nmy newest hobby for the past three years is m food blog mope you will drop by for a visit. Www.rosemaryandthegoat.com

18. cjorad

cjorad Junior Member

I'm still drooling over the flapjacks!! However, I should also mention that to my disappointment I was instructed to not use flax seed for weeks leading up to, and following, surgery. It was considered a supplement that interacts with blood viscosity. Both flax seed and green tea surprised me.

19. rider1960

rider1960 Post-Grad

Here's an easy autumn type recipe. I made the muffins over the weekend and they are delicious!

1 spice cake mix
    1 can of pumpkin (plain pumpkin, not pumpkin pie mix)
    2 eggs
    chopped nuts, chocolate chips, or raisins -- whatever you would like to add (nuts and raisins would be my first choice)
    Milk or water enough to thin it to your liking

Mix the first 4 ingredients together, then add milk/water to get the consistency you want--thicker if you want to make cake-like cookies or thinner if you want muffins

Bake around 360 degree F until they are done. They are absolutely delicious and perfect for this time of year!

Now, if I could just stop munching on them ...

Dorothy

20. Knitter4444

Knitter4444 Graduate

Is there a place and format to contribute recipes?