BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. PLEASE NOTE THAT ONE RECOVERY THREAD ONLY IS PREFERRED. PLEASE DON'T START ADDITIONAL THREADS ABOUT YOUR RECOVERY.

Compression socks - YUK!

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by dorsetgirl, Jul 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dorsetgirl

dorsetgirl Junior Member

Hi guys.
    I am now at 2 weeks and 2 days after TKR and am told that I have to wear compression socks for another 2 weeks. Aaaaargh!!
    I am able to walk unaided and take the dog out for a 10 minute walk 3 x a day. I get up and move around the house every 20/30 mins. I cook, clean, wash up etc. etc. At night these socks feel awful, especially as summer in the UK has finally arrived, yet I know I have to wear them in bed. But, do I really have to wear them all day as well?

2. Campervan

Campervan Sr Bonesmartie

New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi, Yes I agree they are awful. I wore them for 4 weeks. I was told I could have them off for an hour or so in a morning while they got washed and dried. Mine had a hole around the toes, so at night I used to peel them up and expose my toes and it just made me feel a bit more normal being able to wiggle my toes in bed!!

3. dorsetgirl

dorsetgirl Junior Member

LOL Margeret!! My socks have holes in them too. Why oh why don't they make them stronger? I wear them just as you've described and NO WAY am I paying good money to buy new ones! ;)

4. Debbie_joints

Debbie_joints Post-Grad

United States United States
    You need to do what your OS says you have to do, that said, in my book the OS gave me says I don't have to wear mine at night. Are you on blood thinners? Not sure if that makes a difference, I will be on blood thinners for 3 or 4 weeks and just have to wear the teds during the day.

5. dorsetgirl

dorsetgirl Junior Member

Thanks for the reply, Debbie.
    I keep hearing the term OS, but here in the UK I'm not sure what that relates to? And no, I'm not on blood thinners. Although I did have injections in my tummy for the first 10 days.
    Anyway I had the nurse visit this morning to check my scar (staples taken out 4 days ago) and asked her the same question. She said categorically I HAVE to wear them for another 4 weeks! So I guess that's my wrist slapped then! ;)
    Claire.

6. Nanners

Nanners Post-Grad

Does everyone have to wear those for the first few weeks? Or is it something only some orthos require? Just curious:)

7. Janet2012

Janet2012 Don

OS is not an official medical title, it's just an abbreviation for Orthopedic Surgeon, so it's easier to refer to. I think it is something that just developed here on Bonesmart. Saves a lot of typing!

8. dorsetgirl

dorsetgirl Junior Member

Hi Nannners. In the UK it's everyone. Don't know about anywhere else though.
    Claire

9. dorsetgirl

dorsetgirl Junior Member

Thanks Janet! :)

10. Morning Glory

Morning Glory Senior

I never had to wear them. I don't know why my surgeon doesn't use them. I was taking 2 aspirin a day for 6 or 8? weeks and did ankle pumps often.

• Like Like x 1
  11. skigirl

skigirl Moderator

Some surgeons use them and some do not. I wore mine during the day since they help with the swelling and took them off at night since I was lying down. I also cut the feet out of them, just folded them up so that I could wear flip flops.

They are horrible, I still wear a compression stocking for swelling, but I have black and nude footless ones. K

• Like Like x 1
  12. Celle

Celle Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    I wore one on my un-operated leg for the required 4 weeks, but I hated it. It made my skin dry and itchy.

I tried several times to wear one on my operated leg but, while it decreased swelling at ankle level, the top of the stocking came just below my operated knee and it seemed to increase the swelling around the knee itself, so I gave up wearing it and concentrated on wiggling my toes a lot more. My OS never asked if I was wearing it, so I didn't tell him! Bad me!

• Like Like x 1
  13. bottomshollow

bottomshollow Moderator

When I had my hip replaced, they almost forgot to give me a pair to take home--surgery on Friday am, went home Sunday pm. My son's wife helped me put the on. I knew I'd never be able to put them on alone and my hubby would be all thumbs--so I lived in them night and day for 2 weeks. I took them off to go the OS's office to get staples out--and was told I didn't need them if I was up and doing during the day. Which actually meant I hadn't needed them from the beginning! I was never aware of any swelling with my hip.

When I had my knees done, I woke from surgery with them on. Wore them the 5 days in hospital and the 6 days in rehab. When I got home, I took them off and never looked at them again.

It was winter and quite cold with my hip and I had no swelling, so they really didn't bother me. But with my knees, I had to fold them down to mid-calf to keep them from cutting into my legs. But I only wore them in the day time and managed to get them on by myself.

• Like Like x 1
  14. LucyBelle

LucyBelle Junior Member

I am 17 days out from a LTKR and had my first post-op visit yesterday. I was told I could get rid of the hose, as long as I was up and moving around. I tossed them in the garbage can right there in the doctor's office. :happydance:

I wonder if there are any real statistics on the benefit of these nasty things, at different stages? Because every doctor seems to say something different. I'm glad mine said to get rid of them, though!

• Like Like x 1
  15. speccybecky

speccybecky Sr Bonesmartie

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I had to wear mine for 6 weeks day and night. I had two pairs and only took them off to change them every morning. My husband and I had a good few laughs getting them on! They all had holes in the foot to stop slipping on smooth floors. However it read as though some people have long TED's mine were knee high. I got used to them.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Knitter4444

Knitter4444 Graduate

I cut mine off by the time the PA came to see me after I returned to my room. Still don't know how I got a hold of scissors..or if I directed someone to do it. I have large legs. I knew they wouldn't fit properly. The PA laughed at me when I asked a
    her about the TEDS for the upcoming surgery. She said..what's the use. Nuf said. They use those air things on me and I will move my legs this time.

• Like Like x 1
  17. vegasmomof3

vegasmomof3 Member

I threw them away after my RTKR in march 2012 and just got home yesterday having my LTKR took them off again when I got home. I have been up and walking with my walker. Sorry but they dig in my skin and make me itch so let's hope I don't need them any longer.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Cflower

Cflower Member

I never wore them. I'm at four weeks now

• Like Like x 1
  19. jerseychick

jerseychick Forum Advisor

OS never mentioned them to me. I was on aspirin for about 6 weeks or so.

• Like Like x 1
  20. dorsetgirl

dorsetgirl Junior Member

Thanks again everyone for the comments and 'support'. Forgive the pun. :heehee: Seems like the general consensus is that most of us, if up and about, don't really need them!
    But my doc and visiting nurse say that here in the UK it's a MUST do! So, 3 weeks 5 days and counting........yawn. :gaah:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.