BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community

Cold weather and my new knee!

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by conniew, Feb 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. conniew

conniew Junior Member

Does anyone else really feel the cold weather in their new knee or knees? We've had a bitter cold winter here in the Northeast, and when temps are in 40's I am fine, it's when it drops below freezing that it happens. It makes no sense to me since the implant is surrounded by warm blood and tissue, but when I go outside for more than 5 minutes I really feel it. Not pain, just a general neuraglia. I come inside and minutes later I am fine. I actually dragged one of my old braces out and put in on when I go outside, and that does the trick. I am now looking online for something less bulky, more of a thermal knee warmer to wear under my pants. Is this happening to anyone else out there???
  2. 1jt@atime

1jt@atime Forum Advisor

Hi Connie, what you are experiencing is definitely the norm. I had the same problems that first year after my knee replacements. Finding something to wear over your knee is an excellent idea. I wore knee warmers or even nylon long underwear under my clothes and that helped a lot. It will get better in future years. Hang in there!
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Josephine

Josephine Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Not me. I was walking in a fierce, bitter cold wind in Sunderland last Monday but though every bit of the rest of me ached and complained, my knee didn't!
  4. kneeworn

kneeworn Graduate

Mine hurts when it gets cold too. It always did even before when a big weather front moves in. Just call us weather forecasters. Mine also feels better when I warm it. I'm looking forward to spring.

Donna
    LTKR 12/06/2010
    • Like Like x 1
  5. referee54

referee54 Moderator

United States United States
    The cold and changes in the weather used to bother my knees, but not any more...as for the rest of my body, well, let's leave that discussion for another day!:th_heehee:

Cyclist use a really neat kneewarmer that is made of a nylon and is very thin..you can buy them at cycling shops---they really work great.

Tim C.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. conniew

conniew Junior Member

Thanks so much for the info! I've been looking online, but would much rather look at knee warmers in person to see how they are made. I had no idea where to find one. Thanks again,Connie
  7. 1jt@atime

1jt@atime Forum Advisor

Connie, you can go to stores like Target or Kohl's to get over the knee socks, knee warmers, or the nylon type long underwear. If you are looking for something that is specifically for arthritic knees that you see online, you might want to try a medical supply store.
  8. Amarillo19

Amarillo19 Member

9. FrogFeathers

FrogFeathers Post-Grad

I literally just got back from a walk up the street to the park (I took photos, I'll upload later to my Flickr). My knee did not bother me at all (its about 15° with a wind chill around 0° -Fahrenheit of course).

My feet on the other hand (ha!), were killing me.
  10. conniew

conniew Junior Member

Thanks for all the great info everyone. I am hoping when I hit my one year anniversary, the cold won't be too bad on my knee. We've had an unusually bitter cold winter this year. The days the temps were above freezing in the upper 30's have been fine. We are heading for a run of warm weather in the next few days ( almost into 60's ) so I should be in good shape. Hopefully it will melt the rest of this snow, as I haven't seen my lawn since Christmas Day......
  11. skigirl

skigirl Moderator

I have to admit that I have not noticed any cold effect on my knees. I do wear woolen long underwear under my ski pants--but they are capri length. My legs are never cold--it is my hands!! Kelly
  12. referee54

referee54 Moderator

I was just thinking---when I officiate--whether it is 19, or 90, I wear a special type of undergarment/tights (similar to "underarmor") that keeps me warm in cold weather and keeps me cool in hot weather. It is actually very thin and I don't even notice that I am wearing it.

I wore in basketball and football, too. It allows for complete freedom of movement and it may be of help to you.

Tim C.
  13. Josephine

Josephine Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.