BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community

1. PLEASE NOTE THAT ONE RECOVERY THREAD ONLY IS PREFERRED. PLEASE DON'T START ADDITIONAL THREADS ABOUT YOUR RECOVERY.

clumking or clicking noise

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by oneleg, Nov 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oneleg

oneleg Junior Member

It's been about 2 1/2 months since I have had the TKR. And this past week my knee has been making alot of noise....when I bend it...in fact the other night getting ready for bed was sitting on the edge of the bed bending my knee...hubby heard it on the other side of the bed (and he is hard of hearing) and I told him that it started up....and when I walk I can feel it in my knee. Was wondering is this natural or should I give my Dr. a call to have it check out???
    Jane from Ohio
  2. brs0660

brs0660 Forum Advisor

It is not unusual to have some clinking and clunking. Often it us related to the quad muscles not being strong enough to give total support to that new knee. It can also be related some internal swelling around the replacement, especially if you have been doing some extra activities lately.

Some times taking some aleve, icing and elevating can help!

If it would mentally will give you a boost call and check with your OS.
  3. Texas

Texas Alpha

Hey there there are a few people on here that have that i think its pretty normal.......One guys name is clunker...........lol.......his makes noise and you can also read his thread/............if you have no pain......thats good.............)
  4. Linda2

Linda2 Post-Grad

My knees will clunk--mostly with lateral movements when not weight bearing. It's normal to have some clunking, particularly when there is excess fluid hanging around in there.
  5. Josephine

Josephine Forum Admin and Mother Hen Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I think is it's only now started after 10 weeks then maybe you should get it checked out. No harm in being reassured.
  6. Max Wallace

Max Wallace Graduate

I am one year post op have very strong quads and I have a clunking noise not very loud but it is there. I can only hear it in quiet settings and no one else hears it. When I walk its like clickety click clickety click i actually enjoy hearing it now.
  7. johnbear55

johnbear55 New Member

I first had it appear at about 6 weeks after surgery. My PT said it is very common. Now at 4 months, it is barely detectable.
  8. stives

stives Graduate

Hello Jane

I am quite often aware of clicks and clunks going on - my grandson laughed at the noises a while ago when we went out for a walk. It doesn't hurt and I assume all is well. I'm sure I read somewhere that there needs to be a certain amount of movement in the joint, which could produce the noise, as if the new joint was too tight you wouldn't be able to function properly.

I also suspect that the stronger the quad muscles become, the less clunking goes on. My quads are still rather feeble - they have been pathetic for years, and I doubt if I do enough now to strengthen them as much as I should.

If you do check the clunking out with the doctor, do let us know what you are told, as I would be interested to know how normal it is.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.