BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
The world's leading knee and hip replacement
patient advocacy organzation & online community

Clothing Question

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Boogie2, Apr 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boogie2

Boogie2 Junior Member

Canada Canada
    I was scheduled for THR in June, and got a call today that they had a cancellation and I go in Friday! Needless to say I have missed all the pre-hab clinics where you get info! I need suggestions on what clothes to have on hand for post surgery. I have a couple of loose dresses, but am far more comfortable in pants. Will I be able to wear sweatpants?

Had my right knee done in September - have been told hips are a much easier recovery?

Thanks all!
    Sue
  2. djklaugh

djklaugh Post-Grad

United States United States
    Sue - loose dresses or sweatpants (loose ones) would be fine. I lived in flannel pajama bottoms for several months after my bilateral procedure - Even had a pair of plain black ones that looked like slacks that I (sheepish grin here) wore out of the house a time or two. What you want is loose, soft, nonbinding - and easy on/easy off :) I haven't had TKR though I did have a knee arthroscopic surgery about 10 years ago - I've heard also that hip replacements are easier than knees as the knee is a much more complex joint and the procedure to replace one is much more invasive. I wish you the best of success with your new hip! And wow you were fortunate to get the cancellation slot rather than having to wait longer :) :thumb:
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Jaycey

Jaycey Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
  4. Dingbat7

Dingbat7 Senior

I suggest you don't take the kind of sweat pants that have the elasticated bottoms around ankles or the type that have the linings that get caught up when you get them on
  5. brit1chick

brit1chick Member

defo sweatpants for the first few weeks. i am back in jeans now, but its still lovely to get back in the ol' sweatpants around the house !
  6. Josephine

Josephine Administrator

Never being a wearer of pants in any shape or form (except when gardening!) I used my 'schlumpies*' but no knickers just like I do at home!

oopss tmi! :blush:

[* "schlumpies" old, well used or otherwise supremely comfortable clothing - in this case, skirts, cotton tops and cardies!]
  7. VThereandnow

VThereandnow Graduate

Too funny on Jo's response. Schlumpies, a new word for me haha.

If you are talking about clothes IN the hospital, they probably won't even let you wear pants since they want easy access to your incision. At least that was my experience. I actually just brought a big, baggy PJ top that covered my bum and they didn't even let me put it on till the day I was leaving. ..and a robe for my walks to feel more comfortable that I was covered.

Good luck, great you got moved up (mine was moved up a month) and see you on the other side. -cathy
  8. rider1960

rider1960 Post-Grad

My hospital wanted us fully dressed every day, and my surgery was in the winter.

I brought to the hospital sweatpants (without elastic at the bottom) and tee shirts/sweat shirts. Underwear--brief style and one size bigger than I normally would wear. Socks that have loose elastic and/or are shorter (easier to use with the sock-putter-onner).

I wore the same things at home afterwards.

My next surgery will be in June, so I'm thinking shorts and tee shirts.

Just anything that isn't tight and is easy for you to put on. You may swell in the hip and that leg after surgery--you want some extra room.

I can't speak from personal experience, but I do hear that hips recover more quickly than knees do.

Good for you getting an earlier date!!!! Good luck!!

Dorothy
  9. haldox

haldox Post-Grad

I agree with sweatpants and yoga pants, also 1 size bigger.

Congrats on the pushed up date!! 1 more day:thumb:
  10. Anniepops

Anniepops Post-Grad

Schlumpies...well that's a new one Jo:biggrin:

Sue, I took sweatpants into hospital with me but ended up wearing just a nightie(make sure it's a longish one because getting in out of bed can be quite revealing the positions you get into.lol) and didn't wear any knickers at all what with the toilet and bedpan situation it was too much hassle, non of the hip patient ladies on my ward did.

When I got dressed to come home I put on sweatpants which were bought cos they were quite loose but still felt really irritable on my operated leg because of the swelling so try to get some with wide legs. I couldn't wait to take mine off as soon as I go home and get into my nightie.

Good luck

Ann
  11. Boogie2

Boogie2 Junior Member

Canada Canada
    Thanks everyone - you've been a big help!! Tommorrow's the big day - got my big undies (what we call knickers here in Canada ha ha) and a nightie and sweat pants to see which is more compfortable!

Whoo Hoo (that's me being excited!)
  12. Jaycey

Jaycey Moderator

All the best tomorrow Sue! See you on the other side!
  13. klalota

klalota Junior Member

Good luck, Sue! Hope all goes swiftly and smoothly! My surgery is at the end of the month, so on the recommendations of forum members I just bought myself some new yoga pants as well as some large, very soft yoga-style capris and shorts as well as larger panties. Additionally, I bought a nightshirt that's fairly long and opaque...that way I won't have to fuss with a bra or panties while I'm wearing it.

See ya on the other side!
  14. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

Good luck tomorrow in surgery!! Looking forward to hearing from you once you're in recovery.
  15. Dingbat7

Dingbat7 Senior

Me too :rolleyespink:
  16. rider1960

rider1960 Post-Grad

I really liked getting fully dressed every day. It made me feel like less of a patient and an invalid. It was also very good exercise. It started the day after my surgery--the OT worked with me at the hospital and taught me how to use the adaptive tools.

Once I was home, I could also go outside any time I wanted to without scaring the neighbors! ha ha

Dorothy
  17. Jaycey

Jaycey Moderator

:hysterical:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.