BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. PLEASE NOTE THAT ONE RECOVERY THREAD ONLY IS PREFERRED. PLEASE DON'T START ADDITIONAL THREADS ABOUT YOUR RECOVERY.

clothing for rehab hospital

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by malexia, Sep 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. malexia

malexia New Member

I am having my tkr on October 18th. I am going to a rehab. facility afterward. I need suggestions on type of clothing etc. to take. Thanks, Marcia

2. Max Wallace

Max Wallace Graduate

I carried normal night wear and then some clothes to PT and exercise in you know gym shorts loose fitting t-shirts etc. Remember everyone there is there for the same reason either to rehab or help people rehab so be comfortable.

3. PhoenixS

PhoenixS Forum Advisor

Hi Marcia:

Agreed. Loose comfy shorts and supportive sneakers. A sweatshirt or hoody in case it gets cold. I also brought a bandana, as even though I didn't think I was working that hard: I got really sweaty.

Leave the stilettos and the boas at home. You will need them when you get better!!!!:hehe:

Good luck,
    Sandy

4. HughScot

HughScot Member

For me the most important thing would be a good pair of "tennis" shoes, whether you call them training or fitness shoes I think you get the idea. Make sure they are broken in and not new out of the box. You will be wearing them for a long time for PT and getting your new knee back in shape. My girlfriend agreed as she had a metal plate and screws put in her ankle after she broke it. Right out of the hospital don't forget a walker and/or cane. Good luck.

5. Weezy

Weezy Graduate

Loose and comfy does it every time! As soon as I was able in the hospital, I put on loose knit shorts and a big tshirt--felt much more "covered" and easier to get up and move without having to mess with robes, etc.

At home I lived in the shorts and tshirts for a long time. Easy for sleeping, easy for daytime. Definitely not a fashion statement. :hehe:

If you are easily chilled, thing about a polar fleece hoodie or jacket--cotton absorbs sweat but it stays damp next to your skin and can be very chilly; polar fleece keeps you warm while damp and sweaty.

Whether your shoes are broken in or new may depend on how your shoes wear down with your current knee. I couldn't use hardly any of my well worn shoes because of the odd wear pattern created by my old walking style. The soles were worn to a point where I couldn't use them at all with a new knee and so new shoes were better.

Weezy

6. Josephine

Josephine Forum Admin and Mother Hen Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Indeed - agree with all that has been said. It's not a fashion parade so don't worry about how you look. Just be comfortable!

7. NaNaKnees

NaNaKnees Senior

Hi, Marcia. Welcome to the Bonesmart forum. I am having my first TKR the day after yours. I suppose you are also in the final preparations for the Big Day.

Here in Canada, I will be going home from hospital on about the fifth day post op. I have not heard of anyone here going to a rehab centre. I will begin PT as an outpatient at the hospital approximately 3 weeks after my surgery.

Look forward to sharing with you as we go through this experience together. Best of luck on your surgery.

8. Knitter4444

Knitter4444 Graduate

You will laugh at this one. I bought underwear larger than my usual size. So much easier to get into. Something I could do myself. I spent over 3 weeks in the rehab facility. Lots was a blur as I was on so many meds. I did have my cell phone and was prepared to take a laptop..Forget it. I could not send an email and text for weeks that made sense. Call me morphine head.

9. tappersmom

tappersmom Junior Member

I took loose fitting shorts and capris (think knit or jersey), night gowns and robe and toiletries and a sweater. Took make-up, but never put it on once in the 10 days I was there. I also bought some cheapie slip on canvas shoes so I didn't have to worry about bending down to tie shoes. And I took my own fuzzy blanket and my own pillow. I also took my cell phone.

Think COMFY and easy to get on and off!!

10. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

United States United States
    Hi, malexia....welcome to BoneSmart! I'm glad you joined our forum and see that you have already received some great advice regarding rehab clothing options. You really want to have things that are comfortable while you are recovering....simple is best!

11. malexia

malexia New Member

Thanks everyone for your advice. I was planning on takings shorts but then starting wondering if they would go over the knee (not sure how thick the cast is around the knee). Marcia

12. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

There will be bandaging on your knee, but no cast. You should be able to get shorts over the bandages providing they are the loose leg type and not stretchy fitted shorts.

13. Josephine

Josephine Forum Admin and Mother Hen Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Cast? :shk: They want you to get your knee moving ASAP! No casts allowed! Not even so much as a crepe bandage!

14. HughScot

HughScot Member

So of a gun.........you spent the night??:pzld: That's ten days in an outpatient rehab facility.....I never have heard of that. Very interesting.

Hugh

15. RestAssured

RestAssured Forum Advisor

Gosh Hugh, with the first knee I was in the hospital 16 days. It might of had something to do with the fact that I developed MRSA pnuemonia though.:wink:

All three times that I have been in the hospital though, I have worn loose fitting shorts and big t-shirts. I was very comfy when they were helping me get back to walking.:D

16. HughScot

HughScot Member

Sonja, well if you get pneumonia I can understand but not just for rehab, assuming no complications. You have to remember, it was my first time in a hospital as a patient. I did have a change of clothes but I was only in over night so that was a waste.

Love your dogs, I just put my 15 year old Springer to sleep.........just killed me as it was right before surgery. Sure could have used his wet tongue when I got out.

17. NaNaKnees

NaNaKnees Senior

Hugh, so sorry to hear about your dog. We have an 18 year old cat named Zeus. He is having kidney problems and I give him subcutaneous fluids through a needle twice a day now. I'm trying to convince my daughter to continue it while I'm in hospital, but she's really queezy about needles. The fluids are helping him to feel very well.

I know just what you mean about the wet tongue remark. I lost my Mom last November and it was Zeus who got me through my grief. The nights were particularly hard for me to get through, so I would quietly sneak out to the recliner in the living room and within seconds I would be crying and Zeus would be right there, rubbing his nose to my face and snuggling for all he was worth.

It's amazing how our animals can relate so closely to our moods.

18. tappersmom

tappersmom Junior Member

I was in rehab 10 days. I have 2 big dogs at home and I was concerned they would knock me down, plus there was no one home during the day to "help". Also, I had both knees done, so I just figured it was best. Plus at rehab, I had PT 2x a day; if I had home care it was only 2x a week. It was my choice, really. It was actually kind of nice having someone wait on me hand and "knee" -I didn't have to do anything but sleep and rehab. Nice!!!

19. FrogFeathers

FrogFeathers Post-Grad

For shoes I took what are commonly referred to as "skater shoes"- as in worn by kids who skateboard, not the "wheelies". The shoe itself is a sneaker, but unlike walking or aerobic shoes, the soles are completely flat with a little tread on them. I had some Avia cross-trainers that I thought I could wear, but the soles are molded and felt very unsteady after the surgery. So I opted for the cheap skater shoes. (mine had a tattoo-style skull with flowers around it on the side- which, for some reason, were the talk of the PT room).

I wore loose T-shirts and nylon-ish track pants. After the IV came out, the sleeves weren't an issue. At night, I wore a hospital gown because at home... well, let's just say I don't own PJs and leave it at that.

I had my surgery on a Wednesday and on the following Sunday, they moved me down the hall to the rehab wing. I spent ten days in the rehab wing before going home. So, fourteen days total.

The reason my surgeon thought I would "benefit from staying for in-patient rehab" was because my house is two-stories, we have only one bathroom (upstairs) and my husband is disabled and while he's able to do things, he's in no way reliable to take care of me. After the two weeks in the hospital, I went to my parents' handicapped accessible house for another two weeks.

At least at my parents' house, my dogs could visit. (German Shepherd and two Chihuahuas).

20. DebbieHill

DebbieHill Junior Member

Tappersmom, I agree 100% with you. I was in hospital for 7 nights then rehab for 10 nights.

I am now 9 weeks postop with bilats and doing great. When I went back to my surgeon a couple of weeks ago, he said I was ahead of where he would have thought. My physio said he thinks I am probably where he would expect me to be at 10 to 11 weeks.

I attribute most of this to the fantastic rehab staff. They put my head in such a good place and it was mainly educating me on what I needed to do.

Besides that, going to the physio room was a real inspiration. You think you're in strife and then you see the people who have been really knocked around and realise your obstacle is nothing compared to theirs.

In hindsight, I still wouldn't have done it any other way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.