BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. PLEASE NOTE THAT ONE RECOVERY THREAD ONLY IS PREFERRED. PLEASE DON'T START ADDITIONAL THREADS ABOUT YOUR RECOVERY.

[THR] Chronic groin pain

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by ginag16, Sep 30, 2012.

1. ginag16

ginag16 New Member

Hi Everyone,
    I haven't posted for a long time. In July 2008 I had a total mom right hip replacement after an a attempt to resurface but my bone was too soft. My recovery was fine but I still experienced severe groin pain much the same as pre-op. I still can't raise my right leg from a lying position and have to manually lift it into the car to drive. I can now only drive an automatic as my knees are ok. Hip is not.

After all sorts of treatments including us guided injection, hip aspiration, ct scans, mri scans, xrays and
    finally, I had revision surgery and another new hip, this time a metal to ceramic in July 2011 I STILL HAVE THE SAME GROIN PAIN!!!!. My consultant has arranged for me to have an us guided injection into my groin next week. I feel I'm back where I started. has anyone else had a similar experience.

2. Josephine

Josephine Forum Admin and Mother Hen Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Oh dear - looks like you have drawn the short straw and become one of the 100,00 for whom THR is not the usual Havana of a pain free existence. There is always the possibility that your groin pain is actually nothing to do with your hip.Have you seen a general surgeon or gynaecologist (assuming you are a female - you haven't displayed that)?

Would you be a dear and put your surgery date in your signature like the rest of us do?
    Please also remember that our membership is international and for clarity use the International Date system being 7th August 2000 rather than 2/8/00 or 8/2/00.
    You can find the instructions here How to create a signature
    That also applies to anyone else who is reading this.
    Thank you.

3. rider1960

rider1960 Post-Grad

I've been doing some research on groin pain after hip replacement, since I have the same thing going on. I know what caused mine--I messed up the hip flexor muscles pretty badly during PT at the hospital. I was feeling and moving fine until I forced myself through some particularly difficult PT exercises, then the pain was pretty nasty. My surgeon believed I suffered a muscle tear. He wants me to wait this out through my next follow up visit at 6 months post op, which will be mid December, since he finds most of this kind of thing resolves within 6 months after surgery with a balance of rest, and gentle stretching and strengthening exercises.

But, your case is different for sure. You've been through a lot! I'm a little confused though. You write that you had a "guided injection"--was that into the hip joint itself after surgery? Or, into the mucle or tendon of one of the hip flexors? In my research, I've read that some people experience a situation where the the psoas muscle (a major hip flexor) or tendon rubs against the prosthesis and is constantly irritated. This can happen particularly in situations where the patient had something like hip dysplasia with shallow sockets where now the area is kind of "built up". The groin pain never goes away after surgery and they often find relief from a steroid injection into the psoas muscle or tendon. If that doesn't work long term, they may have a psoas release surgery. Has this situation been discussed? Is that the purpose of your surgeon's groin injection?

I feel your pain. Actually, the groin pain I have now is worse than I had before surgery, and I spent the first month or so post op being very angry at hospital PT staff who encouraged me to keep going with the exercises, even though I told them repeatedly how painful it was. It's difficult to deal with something like this after taking the plunge to have the hip replacement done. I will definitely pursue further investigation and treatment if this doesn't go away after 6 months.

Dorothy

4. Josephine

Josephine Forum Admin and Mother Hen Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    "SOMETIMES the groin pain never goes away after surgery".
    There is one absolute thing in this surgery - nothing is ever absolute! :snork:

5. C Mac

C Mac Post-Grad

United States United States
    Hi Gina,

I'm not sure that I know what your history was leading up to the surgery -- whether it was a congenital problem like perthes or dysplasia. I have some groin tightness at my adductor tendon primarily. I attribute it to the fact that my OS added about 1/2" of length to my femur and that the new hip hardware has completely changed the alignment on my leg and all my soft tissues have been trying to catch up with this change.

Are you able to work with a physiotherapist to get some assessment of your groin pain in the event that it is soft tissue related and might benefit from some sorts of stretches and/or exercises that could help with strengthening & atrophy and adapting to the changes the hardware may have created?

I found at one point in my recovery that a certain type of very focused myfasial type of massage was helpful for some of my ongoing issues. I went for 7 session with a rolfer.

I'm sorry that you are having ongoing trouble with this issue and hope that you can find some modality that might give you some relief.

Take care,
    Cardie