BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. PLEASE NOTE THAT ONE RECOVERY THREAD ONLY IS PREFERRED. PLEASE DON'T START ADDITIONAL THREADS ABOUT YOUR RECOVERY.

Chiropractic adjustments after hip replacement

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by rider1960, Oct 6, 2012.

1. rider1960

rider1960 Post-Grad

I've had both hips replaced. I had pre-existing back pain that has gotten worse and is very stubborn to relent after surgery. Probably the manipulation of the leg on that side got it going. I'm considering seeing a chiropractor, but I'm nervous about it because of the hip replacements being rather recent.

Please give me your experiences and advice about seeing a chiro after hip replacement. Thanks!

Dorothy

2. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

United States United States
    Dorothy, As long as your chiropractor didn't move your body in a way that hurt your hips (you'd feel pain), I would think it would be fine to see him. But I'll tag Josephine to see if she has any specific guidance for you.

3. Josephine

Josephine Forum Admin and Mother Hen Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Not that recent, Dorothy! :wink: If you get a chiro of quality, he should be perfectly capable of taking your hips into consideration. Just make sure you tell him about them.

4. rider1960

rider1960 Post-Grad

Thanks Jo and Jamie. I don't have a chiropractor who knows me/I know him, so I'm going on referrals from others. I plan to not only tell them about my hips, but also have them explain what they plan to do before they do it, so I can opt out if I think it's not a good thing. I need to get something done to my back. I fell like something is not in the place where it needs to be and is only getting worse. I can take pain pills and use my IF machine and that helps the pain, but something needs to be corrected and I'm hoping a chiro will be able to do it.

Dorothy

5. Josephine

I saw my chiro yesterday and checked with him - he tells me he has many patients who have had hip replacements!

6. Anniepops

Anniepops Post-Grad

I've always been a bit sceptical of Chiropractors just because the people I know who have used them say things improve for a while then problems resurface and others have said it made them worse. Is it a case of always having to return for treatment for the same issues to be addressed time and time again?

Just wondering :)

7. dianemarie

dianemarie Graduate

Hi Dorothy,

I go to my chiropractor all the time (every 2 weeks for months now and often before that). I find tremendous relief as he adjusts my back, neck, knee, etc. (whatever needs it). I was tentative after both replacements, then after going wondered why I had been tentative. My chiro knows me well and knows my history and about the new hips and all goes well. All the best to you, hoping it helps.

8. rider1960

rider1960 Post-Grad

Thanks. I appreciate the advice and info. I'm going to call tomorrow to schedule an appointment. I don't have a chiropractor, but I have a couple of recommendations from friends. I'm going to pick the one who had the most "votes".

I realize what they do may only be temporary ... but at this point, I'll take it. Nothing else except heavy duty drugs is helping ... and that is *very* temporary, so I'm not concerned about needing to return for more treatment.

Seems like such a shame that I have these nice new hips that are working great, but then I have the other problems like the back and the groin muscle that hold me back. Darn!

Dorothy

9. Jaycey

Jaycey Moderator

I go to an osteopath. Chiro makes my back pain worse. But as Jo says, if you can get one that works with you go for it. Osteo is a bit more gentle but much the same adjustments. Plus they work on muscles. Good luck - I know the problems THR can have on back issues.

10. rider1960

rider1960 Post-Grad

Jacey, I saw an osteopath prior to finding out that my pain was hips. I've had both chiro and osteopath done and the osteopath I saw was MUCH more forceful than the chiro. I guess it just depends on who you go to. I know I could get an appointment with the osteopath, but I'm afraid.

Dorothy

11. Josephine

Chiropractic is actually just a form of treatment that some osteopaths and physios (PTs) use.
    And not all chiropractors use the full chiropractic treatments.

12. Jaycey

Jaycey Moderator

I completely understand your hesitation if you didn't get good results with your osteopath. In fact I had the same experience with my chiropractor. I guess you have to shop around and get someone who will listen to you. Jo needs to clone her's! :heehee:

13. Josephine

14. rider1960

rider1960 Post-Grad

And he's a cutie too!

Dorothy

15. Josephine

Oh yeah!

16. Weezy

Weezy Graduate

I saw a great chiro for years for low back pain--I credit her with keeping me moving. HOWEVER, I never got really good relief for any amount of time until I combined chiro with rolfing/Hellerwork. That gave me the longest and best relief I'd ever had (until my hips got worse).

You might want to consider seeing if there are any rolfing/hellerwork practitioners in your area and talk to a few of them. I'm not good at describing what they do, except that they are almost identical practices. It's a type of massage that concentrates on muscles and tendons and structural alignment--not particularly fun or relaxing, but the results are well worth it. I've had a fantastic rolfer and a fantastic hellerworker. I also had a few practitioners that weren't that great so I quickly moved on. My hellerworker was fabulous at helping my body "learn" how to walk better after my knee replacements. She's also the one who told me that she couldn't help me walk any better until my hips were fixed because I can't stand up straight. After my THRs, I'll go back to her for help in learning how to stand and walk better.

Weezy

17. C Mac

C Mac Post-Grad

I've been going to a chiropractor for years and started back to see him when I was about 2 months out from surgery. I have found it helpful mainly for my back, but also at times for my pelvis and how it relates to muscle soreness in my legs. I have been hesitant on allowing him to do the side lying pelvis adjustment, which looks like this, because I always worry that it will sublux my fake hip. Probably not really a risk, huh Josephine;?
    [​IMG]
    My chiro also does some soft tissue work -- elbow to the quadratus lumborum in my mid-back to help with my tilted pelvis.

Like Weezy, above mentions I have also found rolfing to be really helpful in dealing with tight and sore muscles, tendons and connective tissue (IT band). This is a deep, targeted fascia release type of massage that can help with adhesions and muscle imbalances.

When you go to a practitioner you will be fully evaluated and detailed history given before any hands on work. In fact, often chiropractors will like to have an x-ray or two of your spine just to see what they are getting in to before doing adjustments.

Good luck and let us know how you make out, rider1960; Dorothy.
    Take care,
    Cardie

• Like Like x 2
  18. Josephine

I'd say it's not a significant risk. Most people are sleeping on their sides anyway.

19. C Mac

C Mac Post-Grad

:iagree: That's true!! My chiro tends to try to "jump start" me like a motorcycle when he does the side lying adjustment and he'll go 2 or 3 times trying to get movement. Because those joints have already moved earlier in the day for me or just aren't stiff they don't do anything for him. I've taken to just asking him not to do that adjustment at this point.

Take care,
    Cardie

20. dianemarie

dianemarie Graduate

I won't let my chiro do that adjustment either. I never liked it even before my replacements. Always felt like I was going to fall off the table. Now I just feel like it would be too much pressure on my hips (the one I'm lying on and the side up)

• Like Like x 1