TKR Cflower's recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes it is both knees and the same feeling in both. After the first replacement I had 3 months PT followed by 2 weeks off then I had the second knee replaced followed by another 3 months PT in that time I had 5 MUA first one after 7 weeks, then when I had second knee replaced he did MUA while I was out on the first knee then after 12 weeks on second knee he did MUA on that knee and at same time did first knee again then about 5 months from first knee he did MUA for second time on second knee but said first knee didn't need it at that time. So, overall I had 6 months PT then when finished with that I started water aerobics and did that for 1 1/2 years and that first 6 months had a personal trainer. So I feel like I did all the rehab that I could possibly have done.

Getting ready to go on trip to Asheville, NC and when I get back I'm talking to doctor to see if he will at least do an MRI because I would like to know what's going on. I think if I knee it was just scar tissue maybe I could deal with it . I know I do not want any further surgeries.

My 89 year old mother-in-law just had her second knee replaced back in March and about about 2 months she said she didn't even think about it and I know she didn't come anywhere close to doing what I did with PT etc. I just want answers and If my doctor won't do MRI then I may go to someone else for second opinion.

Hi, I couldn't believe it when I read your thread. Every detail is identical to what I am experiencing. My op was 18 months ago. I still have the tight band feeling, or as you describe it, the feeling that my leg is being strangled. In the early months MUA was considered, but because my bend was 90plus it was not thought to be appropriate.

I recently went for a second opinion, where the OS said it could be scar tissue. Could be. Not what I wanted to hear. I asked for an MRI scan. He was reluctant. He said because of the metal the images aren't good. But I phoned the MRI scanning unit at my local hospital and they disagreed!

I'm due to see the OS again in December. He hopes things will have improved by then. I have had some good days/weeks recently, but I think that is me coming to terms with things rather than any actual improvement.

Like you I would like to know exactly what is going on, but if the only way to find out is more surgery, I think I will pass. What I've got isn't nice, but its not painful just very uncomfortable. The one thing that helps me more than anything is wearing an elastic compression sleeve. Its hard to find one that fits properly, but I did. It really camouflages the tight feeling. I wear it just below the knee so that it doesn't restrict my bend (ROM O/115-120)

I will continue to read your thread with interest. Carol

Carol,
I'm glad to find someone who knows what I'm talking about. Usually when I say tightness, people think i'm talking about bending my knee and range of motion. I think my range of motion is good, probably about 120°. I have started piling my pillow shams on the floor and kneeling on them for 5 minutes I may start taking a pillow off to allow for more pressure on the knees. I definitely don't hurt. I feel like my brain will not let me "not" think about this feeling. I've read others say they can't get use to having an artificial part to their body. I could care less about that, I just want to not feel anything and have a normal feeling.

I had no problem in Asheville with the walking that losing 20 lbs. wouldn't greatly improve. Keep me posted if your feeling ever goes away.

I definitely don't hurt. I feel like my brain will not let me "not" think about this feeling. I've read others say they can't get use to having an artificial part to their body. I could care less about that, I just want to not feel anything and have a normal feeling.

You may not care less about having an artificial part to your body, but it may be that your senses are running this show, not your thinking.

Have you ever had any limbs broken? Particularly a wrist? If so, how you recovered from that might be an indication of how your nerves/senses cope with trauma.

Have you tried kineseo tape or a calf compression sleeve.? If it is a sensory issue, both these things seem to act as camouflage.

I may start taking a pillow off to allow for more pressure on the knees.

I don't like the sound of this. The last thing you want to do is inflame your knees. An exercise you might consider is the one where you wrap a circular elastic band round the back leg of a chair. You loop the other end round your foot. Then from a sitting position you raise your leg. It has the effect of stretching all your tendons, and helps to realign the soft tissue.

So, I'm two years on both legs now (6/12 & 10/12). For the last two years I continue to have the tight band feeling around my both knees. I had done 3 months PT with first knee, two week break then had RTKR done and another three months. I remember at the end of December (6 month of PT) telling the PT that I still had that tight band feeling and he said it would eventually go away. It didn't. I talked to my OS about it several times and he said it could be scar tissue or just still healing. Finally, I asked if I could have a MRI to see what showed up and was informed that with the metal in the knee it shows a lot of blurriness and it's hard to really tell. So they recommended me seeing one of his partners who does a lot of sports medicine injuries.

I saw him yesterday and he had me walk, and walk and walk back and forth across his office and immediately said "you need to learn to walk). He said I probably have been walking wrong years even before the replacements. I do remember for "years" having really tight calf muscles and tight hamstrings. He said that I should concentrating on using my quad muscles. He said forget about the heal, toe, rock that most PT tell you do do. He said I need to start engaging my quads. He also told me not to do the treadmill has it is bad for new knees because it kind of takes over instead of a person using their own balance etc. He told me to quit using the rowing machine which I was doing with the hand thing just to make my knees bend. He said I had really good ROM and extension and I didn't need to constantly be pulling on my leg with a strap. He also said I didn't have scar tissue or I wouldn't be able to move my leg the way I can. I told him I ride the bike about 6 miles 2-3 times a week. He said it would be better to get on a bike for 10-15 minutes every day. So I am going to try that.

It is going to be hard to change walking habits. He wants me to "walk" for 6 weeks then come back to see him. If I do his PT he wants me down in Houston 3 times a week. That's about 30 minute drive but I would do it if it looks like I can't change things on my own.

Well, I hope this is helpful for you. I know many of us have had a hard time adjusting to walking in a "normal" way after years of compensating. I'm curious about methods he gave you about engaging your quads when walking.

Thanks for a detailed and interesting report. Can't wait for the results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88