BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. PLEASE NOTE THAT ONE RECOVERY THREAD ONLY IS PREFERRED. PLEASE DON'T START ADDITIONAL THREADS ABOUT YOUR RECOVERY.

[TKR] Cflower's recovery

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by Cflower, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Cflower

Cflower Member

I'm starting this today because I want to be able to post asap. My surgery isn't until 12-1 tomorrow 6/27. Assistant just called and told me she phoned in warfarin and I take 1 1/2 tonight. Is that normal for everyone or because i have the Protein S deficiency. So this time tomorrow I will be checked in and ready to go.

• Like Like x 1
  2. speccybecky

speccybecky Sr Bonesmartie

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Good luck! See you when it's all over

3. karmigirl

karmigirl Post-Grad

Cflower,

We will be waiting to hear from you on the other side. Take care and best of luck tomorrow.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Josephine

Josephine Forum Admin and Mother Hen Administrator

I am assuming that you have informed them of this important piece of information? If not, you should tell them ASAP.

5. jerseychick

jerseychick Forum Advisor

Best of luck tomorrow. See you when you are all done!

6. Cflower

Cflower Member

Yes they know

7. Morning Glory

Morning Glory Senior

United States United States
    :) Good luck tomorrow! You're going to do great!

8. pmonroe

pmonroe Junior Member

I don't know about the meds. I do wish you the best of luck, and will look forward to your post op posts.

9. Cflower

Cflower Member

6:30 a.m., been up since 5:30, up 3 times during night to bathroom. Have to be at hospital at 10:00, surgery 12 or 1:00. I thought it was going to be earlier but got call yesterday. Had catering anxiety dreams all night like there's something I'm suppose to be doing and I forgot. I think I'm worried more about pain than anything and the fact that my right leg hurts as bag as my left one and it doesn't really make any difference which one they operate on. I feel like I will have bitter sweet feelings. I will have a new knee but the right one will still hurt, pop and annoy me. Hope to get doctor to tell me how soon for the second knee. Hope to post sometime today if I'm not totally out of it. :) ouch!!!!!!

10. Morning Glory

Morning Glory Senior

I was in the exact same position as you. Both knees were totally shot. I had the right done first because that one was more gnarled up & I couldn't straighten it out. I waited as long as I did because I was afraid of pain and the pain was nowhere near what I had feared. I kept track of when my medication was due, I used the alarm on my cell phone, and made sure I requested my medication on time. I did let it go the first night because I thought my leg felt ok but then it started to wear off so the nurse gave me some morphine to hold me over till I could get Percocet again.

True, my left leg still hurt just as much but having the pain gone in my right did help a bit. I was afraid and anxious to get the left done to finally have 2 legs pain free! The right knee feels great now and the left one is busy catching up. Don't worry about what you forgot, the hospital will have everything you need. I brought PJ's and different clothes to wear and hardly ever got out of the hospital nightgown they have me. I was going to change to my own at one point but the drain on my leg kept bleeding and didn't want to ruin my stuff.

Let me know how you're doing as soon as your head clears a bit:yawn: :friends:

11. RunA42K

RunA42K Forum Advisor

Hi Cflower, I have been thinking about you here in Houston this afternoon, I imagine by now you may be in recovery or maybe not. As it turns out everyone, Cflower and I live only about 15 miles apart and she is in the Texas medical center where my husband was for so long. Good thing you are not outside today, it is 104 degrees, stay cool and hopefully pain free in the hospital for a few days!

I'll know when you are getting back to yourself when you send me a new word in Words With Friends because it is your move! That is when I started playing, during my recovery, ice, elevate and play words with friends on the iPad! I hope everything has gone ok today and I'll be waiting to hear from you!

Take care...and my best wishes for you!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Cflower

Cflower Member

So, here I am about 15 hours out of surgery. Got here at 10 yesterday morning. I was #4 yesterday so had long wait in holding. My biggest fear was getting the Iv put in. I don't even remember the "margarita juice" they gave me to knock me out. Surgery went fine. I was back in room wide awake at 5:00. No nausea or sore throat. Meds working great. When they added muscle relaxer was even better. No leg pump for pain or catheter for bladder. Guess infection cleared up. One more pill to take for that. Will take warfarin for thinner instead of shots. Hurray

Doctor doesn't use CPU machine right out of surgery so that starts today. Nurse asked if I wanted jello or broth last night then dietary called to see if I wanted steak. Went for he steak mashed potatoes salad apple pie veggies. Needless to say didn't want it when it came. A few bites of steak mashed potatoes and two carrot slices my husband gladly took it off my hands.

LET'S SEE WHAT TODAY BRINGS. I feel great right now.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. speccybecky

speccybecky Sr Bonesmartie

Great news, it's done now...here comes recovery!

• Like Like x 1
  14. karmigirl

karmigirl Post-Grad

Cflower,
    Sounds like you are doing pretty well. Posting so soon and it all making sense, great. Don't worry about the appetite, I was like that for about a month, very thing sounded so good then when I got it could only eat a bite of two and was done with it. It will get better.

15. kneeper

kneeper Forum Advisor

Congrats, cflower. Sounds like you're off to a good start. Good thing your husband was there to take care of that steak. :heehee:

16. Cflower

Cflower Member

5:30 pm. Walked twice today. This morning in room. Few minutes ago all the way down hall. Not drinking enough liquids so been hard to find vein. Will increase water now that I don't have to use the dreaded bed pan. May drag out my prunes because I've not gone yet. I was determined I would not use bedpan for that. Iv drip needle left in. Have cpm machine now and going to 65* that's all dr wants for today. No pain in knee itself and that is probably from him shooting my knee full of something he told me about. I know pt will be awful but right now I feel great here with my iPad and tv trying to think of my next food blog post. Maybe it will be one of the specialty cupcakes my husband is going to go get us tonight. Great staff here at tx orthopedic hospital

• Like Like x 1
  17. Nyland

Nyland Post-Grad

Hi Cflower!
    CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! I'm so glad that you are feeling well. Thanks for posting for us waiting our turn. It truly helps. Enjoy your cupcake. You earned and deserve it!

18. Janet2012

Janet2012 Don

As great as I'm doing now, I had an ugly first week. So delightful to hear someone having a relatively pleasant first few days! Great!

19. 1ELISEA

1ELISEA Forum Advisor

Sounds like you are doing well! Good for you!

20. Cflower

Cflower Member

May be eating my words but so far experience has been non eventful On second day after surgery I got cpm machine up to 90 degrees. Walked twice today. My brain is going to have to rewire itself because for so long I have been kind of swinging my leg out and my foot hits the floor kind of flat footed

Dr just came in signed papers for me to leave tomorrow whenever I feel like going. Been eating prunes all day to try and get something moving but no luck yet. Will be on warfarin or two months. Hurray no needles. Will have to get blood test next Tuesday. My husband said incision did not look too bad.

I'm anxious to meet the pt person on Monday to get things started. I've had no dizziness, nausea. I will take hydracondone which was pretty good so far with no dopey feeling.

I may be singing a different song after next week. But right now I feel like I've it walked a little too long. I wilI have to watch eating a lot of vegetables with vitamin k. HAs that been a problem for anyone. Now to figure out how to get into my higher than normal bed