BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
The world's leading knee and hip replacement
patient advocacy organzation & online community

Buttock pain after bilateral hip replacement

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Abbas, Dec 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Abbas

Abbas New Member

Hi,
    I am 39 years male I had bilateral hip replacement in 2/29/08 due to Legg Perthe disease. I live with pain all my life since I was six years old. After the surgery, I start having new problems. I have pain in my buttock when I sit or walk. I can't work or even do my grocery. Becuase All my MRI's and the Xray's are negative, The long term disability insurance cut my benefit. I wish I didn't have the surgery, it least I used be able to sit and drive.
  2. Josephine

Josephine Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    That's really awful! It's very rare for back pain to show anything significant on scans or xrays. Doesn't make it any the less genuine.

Pain in the buttocks is often caused by irritation of the sciatic nerve which could have been irritated by the surgery or by inflammation from ligament or muscle which causes the oft named "pinched" or "trapped"
    nerve. I suggest you try seeing a chiropractor if you can manage it. It's just the kind of thing they could deal with.

Sometimes not all the pain a person with O/A hips feels arises from the hips, sometimes its back problems as well.

Is your pain in one side or both? And have you had it since the op?
  3. Abbas

Abbas New Member

I have pain in both sides but worse in right. I had MRI on my lower back and didn't show any thing.
  4. Josephine

Josephine Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Well, as I said, it rarely does show up on MRIs or xrays. Doesn't mean you don't have a problem though. Go see a chiropractor.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.