BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community

1. PLEASE NOTE THAT ONE RECOVERY THREAD ONLY IS PREFERRED. PLEASE DON'T START ADDITIONAL THREADS ABOUT YOUR RECOVERY.

burning and pain after 3 weeks

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by Mopsey, Mar 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mopsey

Mopsey Junior Member

Is that normal? Seems like this is lasting longer than my last TKR . Thanks, Martha

2. referee54

referee54 Moderator

United States United States
    What kind of pain are you experiencing? If you could be more specific as to where the pain is and when it happens, etc, Josephine and the others will probably be able to help you .

Thanks!

3. Josephine

Josephine Forum Admin and Mother Hen Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Mopsey, thank you for the compliment of your confidence in our powers of deduction but mind readers we are not! :th_heehee:
    You've been around here long enough to know we need a lot more detail than that!

4. Mopsey

Mopsey Junior Member

The burning and pain are at the incision site. I have had the staples removed, but still have a bandage covering the incision. The pain is almost constant, maybe a little better than at first but still worrisome. I am trying to save my Oxycodone for when I start to rehab tomorrow, but do take some during the day and before bedtime.

5. janlyn48

janlyn48 Sr Bonesmartie

A month after my surgery I told my doctor that if anyone would like to know what the pain is like after a TKR he should tell them it's a "constant burning, searing pain". That pain lasted a good 6 weeks if not longer. The way I described it was like a 50 pound hot iron was strapped to my knee.

I don't know if that describes your pain, mopsey, but I can tell you, the worst of it, at 12 weeks, is gone now.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Josephine

Josephine Forum Admin and Mother Hen Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I see - well that's normal post-operative pain. my dear. And "I am trying to save my Oxycodone for when I start to rehab tomorrow" is the reason why. You're not taking your pain meds regularly, are you? And it's patently obvious you still need them. Read this thread Pain management and the pain chart and you will see why. You'll also see how pain manifests itself in many ways, burning being one of them.

7. carousel66

carousel66 Graduate

Hello,
    On Monday I will be 6 weeks post op from my LTKR
    I found from about 3 1/2 weeks to 5 1/2 weeks I had VERY strong, "hot" burning type pain, ULTRA sensitive on my incision mostly the upper half. It has now gone almost.... all gone away.

I have attributed this to part of the healing process and some of my nervs becoming awake again! a week prior to this I could push work on my incision with massage etc (gentle) and it did NOT hurt. but during the time frame above any pressure even from my pants! resulted in pain like someone was stabbing me with a knife!

this lasted around 10 days 2 weeks and is now almost... almost gone. Just a few what I consider ultra aware, ultra sensitive spots yet.

8. eeskiracer

eeskiracer Junior Member

I had severe burning and stabbing pain for at least 11 weeks, getting only slightly better each week, Tylenol didnt even touch it but I stopped taking drugs after a few weeks because of work. I guess you are lucky that your first one went so well, I am looking forward to my other TKR to be lucky like your first one was.

9. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

United States United States
    Mopsey, you are only 3 weeks out from a very major surgical procedure. You are going to experience pain for a while....especially if you are not taking those prescription pain meds on the schedule indicated on the bottle. Please take Jo's advice and get back on a regular schedule so you can keep your pain managed. You will have a much more comfortable recovery that way.

If for some reason your surgeon is trying to get you to cut back on your pills, then go to your GP for the prescriptions. They almost always are much more understanding of your need for these meds after a TKR.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.