BTKR...What was I thinking???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Country
United States United States
Down to the wire here! Having second thoughts. Both knees are scheduled for July 13, 2016. My right one was actually replaced 9 years ago but has been recalled. My OS says he may be able to just do a revision instead of a replacement. Says he will just have to see when he gets in there, oh, joy, joy. Nothing like uncertainty to alleviate my fears, right? I have had nothing but pain in it since the first surgery. He didn't want to wait on a custom built joint because of the severity of instability I have. I have fallen several times. I feel like telling him what I told my OB-GYN during labor with my first child..."Just get it out of me!!!" Any words of wisdom about recovery methods from others who have had 2 for 1's? I can't imagine trying to get up after sitting down in the floor to play with my grands. I mean, I literally won't have a leg to stand on!

We've had many members had bilateral knees but never one had a primary and a revision done synchronously!
I can't recall the number of times I've told people that such a thing would never be done! Ah well - you live and learn!

You can also look in the Knee Recovery Forum and see the threads that have this prefix
BTKR.JPG
. If you click on the green prefix, it will bring up a search list of ALL the members who had BTKR so you can save time sifting though everything!

Just came back from OS office. He was very reassuring that, no, my knee had not been recalled, but, yes, he needs to totally replace the implant anyway, due to other circumstances. He explained away all of my fears and he is such a renowned surgeon in his field and nationwide that I have much faith in him. Maybe I just had the pre-surgery jitters. I am in God and Dr. Biggs' hands now. Both knees, same time, same place, tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

@34120 "Just get it out of me!!!"

Love it! I told mine "he's stuck!!" Prayers for your surgery, hoping all goes well.

@Josephine, the odd duckling, that be me! As you can see, I finally figured out how to create my thread!
@birdwatchr, thanks! I have to trust tat all will go well, if the good Lord's willing and the creek don't rise!

* that

I still have not tried sitting on the floor to play with grandkids and getting back up yet but my knees do work well otherwise. I do not regret getting both done at the same time. It has been 11 weeks today since my bilateral knee replacement. You do need to take your pain medication regularly, ice and elevate in the early weeks after surgery. Good Luck with everything!

I wish I could have had both done at the same time because both knees are now quite painful. I am fairly comfortable when I find the right position, but otherwise my pain ranges from a 3-4 to a 6-7 when I am more active. My doctor said he could do a bilateral but didn't recommend it, probably because of my age. I worry about the non operated knee getting worse, but the pain medication for the first TKR will help me get through it I guess.

You will have both knees done at once and only have to worry about one recovery. I'm guessing that if I have to get on the floor for some reason I'll get up like I do now - like a 2 year old. :)

Okay all my Bonesmart friends, I did it! LTKR and right revision, or, partial knee replacement on the right. Replaced femur implant and spacer on the right. I guess I am the 1st for both at the same time Josephine!!! Tired, aching, about to meet night nurses. Come on RIMES!

I hope you have good pain management the first 48 hours. I can't believe you're alert enough to post! Good job!

Well, now almost 1:30 am. Dilaudid is my new best friend. It still hurts, but I don't care ! [emoji2]

In the recliner! I walked to the bathroom, brushed my teeth, etc. and got into the recliner. It's hard to stay alert but I have to eat breakfast, see the OS, and go to group therapy. I need a pillow or three under my calves. They have me sitting with my knees iced, but legs straight out, not elevated. Arrrr... I guess I will have to teach them the Bonesmart way!!! [emoji2]

@34120 - I was wondering about you because I remember your nerves were off the charts. Congratulations on getting it done! Woooohoo! Have you started a recovery thread?

I hope you continue to feel well.

The final countdown is starting. I was originally prescribed 1-2 tabs o 5 mg of Oxycodone every 6 hours in the hospital but it wasn't doing the trick to it was changes to every four with tramadol every 6 hours for breakthrough pain. My OS also prescribed a muscle relaxer and something for nausea( Zofran).
L]7,
@Diane LTKR the first two weeks I needed them every 4 hours.

Oh we have a veritable encyclopaedia of information in our Forum Library!

@34120 - I was wondering about you because I remember your nerves were off the charts. Congratulations on getting it done! Woooohoo! Have you started a recovery thread?

I hope you continue to feel well.
Think so! Tried to, anyway! In pain, but manageable Turns out, my knee was not recalled! LTKR, RPKR. They sure do hurt, though. BP went way down, so no narcotics till it comes back up. [emoji53]

@34120 - this thread is in the pre-op area, maybe a moderator can move it to the post-op area.

My BP was pretty low, too. I got very dizzy when I stood up, but it got better as the evening wore on. I hope your BP stabilizes soon!

IThey have me sitting with my knees iced, but legs straight out, not elevated. Arrrr... I guess I will have to teach them the Bonesmart way!!! [emoji2]
I didn't get very much elevation in the hospital either. But when I explained that I wanted a pillow under the whole leg, not just under the knee, to make things more comfortable with the leg straight, they ok'd it.

My blood pressure got really low too I think from the pain meds-that is an odd feeling! I am hoping your are feeling ok tonight! Rest, take your meds:loveshwr:, ice and elevate!!!!

Newlybionic, Wishing you a healthy recovery and continued optimism!!! You did it!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie