BTKR how to prepare?

Status
Not open for further replies.

suebedoo

Country
United States United States
What should I make sure I have onhand for my recovery? Lots of pillows to elevate my knees, maybe warm footies with non-skid stuff on the bottoms? What do you wish you had thought of pre-op?

What should I make sure I have onhand for my recovery? Lots of pillows to elevate my knees, maybe warm footies with non-skid stuff on the bottoms? What do you wish you had thought of pre-op?

I bought several pair of those footies with non-skid stuff on the bottom at CVS, and I used them when I came home. I do recommend that move.

I picked up a walker at a resale shop for $10. Same with a footed cane. I already had crutches and other types of canes. I didn't have a recliner, so I got one that I could sleep in -- was very useful for the first three weeks after I came home from the hospital, and I still use it for resting and icing during the day. I got a non-skid mat for the tub and a shower stool. I already had a hand held shower head. I got the toilet riser (kind of wish I'd gotten two -- I told my husband last week I wanted a tall toilet for my birthday).

I got a pair of slip on shoes and a long-handled shoe horn. I already had an extendable grabber (TeleScoPic) to keep near my recliner. It's quite handy. I thought about all the things I'd want near me and pre-positioned them. Since I didn't plan to go upstairs for up to a month, I thought about all the things that were upstairs that I might need and brought them downstairs before I went to the hospital (clothes, books, blanket, pillows, DVDs, a DVD player and television, various electronic devices, a box for snacks, medications, hand lotion, tissues, a small trash basket, pen, and paper.

There's a couple articles in the library that will help you, but these are some of the things I did that I found helpful for me.

lots and lots of ice! My poor hubby could not keep up with my demands for ice 24 hours a day....poor guy. The ice was such a blessing those first few weeks especially at night. It somehow cut the ache and pain down tremendously!

I did use my walker the first couple of weeks in the house. I found a brand new one at GoodWill for $10.00 rather than having to rent it and bother with returning it. It came in handy with my hip surgery as well. I would tie plastic grocery bags on it to carry books, and other things with me from room to room. I later switched to my crutches and then to the cane as I healed.

I think the toilet seat riser was also a blessing for the first few weeks of horrible stiffness in the knees. I did not need it with my hip replacement at all. I just bought it off of Amazon.

A foam wedge cushion to put my legs up on. I used this with my hip surgery and really needed one for my BTKR!! You will be glad to have this on hand to help with swelling. You can add another pillow on top to give your legs less of a bend as you will want to extend your knees straight as much as possible. I now just use it when I lay down for good circulation! I bought on Amazon. Here is the order info.

InteVision Ortho Bed Wedge with High Quality, Removable Cover (Size: 8" x 21" x 24". Color: Ivory)
byInteVision
$37.95$49.95
Get it byTuesday, Jun 2
FREE Shipping on orders over $35
Show only InteVision items
4.4 out of 5 stars574

Last edited by a moderator:
If you will be using an ice machine, try freezing small bottles of water to use instead of ice. After the first two days of constantly sending my husband out for more ice, I read about the frozen water bottles. If I'm not mistaken, the ice machine held four bottles. I bought a dozen, so there were always some in the freezer to swap out when they started to melt.

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®

You can use packets of frozen peas if it comes to it, just keep re-freezing them.

Top tips:

- Don't think about eating them afterwards
- Keep them IN the packet...

I did what lovestoread did. I filled water bottles with water (leaving room for expansion) to put to in my cryocuff. I made up six to give me a good rotation. Even with an ice maker, I didn't have to worry about it keeping up.

Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005

I received a Polar Cube ice machine in the hospital. It was included in the cost of the surgery and was told to bring it back six weeks later for knee #2. Let me tell you, I used it night and day. It really helped with pain. I've always said I was one of the very lucky ones with minimal pain. I think the icing had a lot to do with that!

OK that is the one I am looking at online - I will ask when I finally reach the OS office - on my list. It would be pretty cool if that was included but if not I think I am going to spring for it.... thanks for responding....:wave:

Hopefully your doctor will provide one, otherwise I highly recommend purchasing one. I know lots of people here used ice packs, but since this was included, this is what I used...and would use again! I would go 4-5 hours before changing out the frozen water bottles, which meant I didn't have to get up much at all. It's fairly quiet, too, which meant my husband wasn't bothered by it at night (not that anything would disturb his sound sleep!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member