BTKR....August 13th. I want my life back!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KElmore

Country
United States United States
Hi Everyone,

Im having bilateral total knee replacements on August 13, 2014.. I needed to come to a place where others are experiencing what I am; to ease my anxiety and worries of the unknown. Im scared, but it's either wait, and waste my young life suffering, or get it done and heal and be able to live life more fully. I am young at 45 yrs old this August 7th. I thought I was alone in this suffering, but have found out differently with this site. Millions of people are going thru the same thing as me. :sorry:

Hello and welcome to BoneSmart. I've taken the liberty of copying a bit of your profile message here because only I can see it behind the scenes and I think this is a very telling part of your history. I hope you don't mind.
I stand with deformity of both knees at a bend. I look as if I'm about to sit, when I'm at a full stand. I can't sit or stand too long. I'm not a confident young beautiful women, but a disabled, deformed, and limited person. My pain is tolerable since the surgeries, but I'm young and would like my life back. To feel and look beautiful. I use to have beautiful legs, wearing high heels throughout my young life, getting whistles and much attention. Now with this ugly and debilitating disability my life has been turned upside down.

So I can understand why you are anxious about this surgery and at such a young age. Though it has to be said that we have a lot of 40yr olds on this forum and it's fast becoming the norm for joint replacements!

Still, I have some stuff for you to read which will get you started. Much of it is from our forum Library which you can access at the top of the page. But here's your starter!

Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

Regardless of where you are in the process, the website and app
My Knee Guide can help you stay organized and informed. The free service keeps all the information pertaining to your surgery and recovery in one place on your smartphone. It is intended to be a personal support tool for the entire process.

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing knee recoveries

You can also find all the other bilateral TKR members by going to the Knee Recovery forum and clicking on the green tab
Bilateral THRs.JPG
which will throw up a list of ALL previous recovery threads with that same prefix.

Welcome! There are many btkr members here like you. We will all try and help you thru your journey. I am having my second knee done in September. I think it's great that doctors are changing their thinking doing tkr's on younger people. You will also find others your age here @karrington for one! I wish you all the best!

welcome 3.jpg
@KElmore, so pleased that your have joined us here on the forum. I'd like to share with you pictures of my hubby's knees before and after his total knee replacements. He had is done with two days between surgeries (only way his OS does both knees).

Front 1.jpg Before Front After.jpg After Side 1.jpg Before Side After.jpg After

(These are thumbnails. Click on them to see larger image.)

As you can see, there is a miraculous difference. Not only does he now have pain free knees, but much better looking legs.

I know that Josephine has given you links to various Library articles, and I also have a comprehensive list for further reading. The first set is essential reading, the second and third are useful and the fourth is just good information, but you will need it all.

Group A
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Progression of activity for TKRs

Group B
How Long Does Healing Take ......
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevating your leg to control swelling and pain
Using ice

Group C
Knee Replacement - Where Am I in Recovery?
So What Is It Going to Take? The Five “P’s” of Knee Recovery
Work “Smarter” and not “Harder”
About recovering a knee - from one who knows!
Some suggestions for home physio (PT) and activity progress
Myth busting: The "window of opportunity"

Group D
MUA (manipulation under anaesthetic) and adhesions
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's Worth the Wait for ROM
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Constipation and stool softeners
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home

Please don't be overwhelmed by the list. The articles are not lengthy and contain information that will answer many questions and help you make your recovery much easier on your knee and on you.

We are here to help in any way we can: answering questions and concerns; supporting and encouraging you from start to finish; giving you a place to vent, whine, complain if you need to; sharing experiences with one another; and having fun and some laughs along the way.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.

:flwrysmile:Just know that in about 8 months after surgery you will be living without the pain and misery you are now experiencing. I know all about pain and misery prior to my surgery. Both my legs were terribly bowed out. My recovery thread may give you an idea of the ups and downs of recovery from BTKR... through my first year. Joan:yes:

Thank You Everyone, Your encouragement is so immensely needed. Just these few encouraging and informing posts have really helped me and my husband to understand what to expect with my BTKR on August 13th. I realize everyone is different, and experience things differently; so I will pray for strength. I pray it's easier than people say, some have more painful experience and others not so much. I want to be the one that has as little pain as possible, and a great recovery. Is this asking too much? I just downloaded the, ""My Knee Guide" app. Thank You Josephine for guiding me to this app. I've only had it on my iPhone for 1 hour and I've already found out my Surgeon is board certified and with Specialty Sports till 2019 and meets MOC Requirements. Im using the checklist already, and it's so so helpful, and puts my mind and heart at ease. Thank you all and God Bless you. I will continue to post and keep everyone updated. Love Kimberly :loveshwr:

I hope your recovery and surgery is uneventful and without much pain. You can be part of making this happen by following the bone smart mantra and taking your pain meds on a schedule. I wish you the best outcome and with your outlook, I am sure you will get there.

@KElmore with my husband it took a day to get the right meds. Don't leave the hospital until they get your pain under control. Remember you will be needing to ice and elevate toes over nose a lot to keep the pain and swelling down. It is easier to keep the swelling at bay than try to get it reduced once it starts in.

Welcome to the Forum! I've only been here a short time and have been reading, reading, reading. All the advice and seeing what others are experiencing has been very helpful.

Welcome to the forum family! You soon about to become a member of the Impressive and Exclusive International BTKR Club, and I will send you the DVD of the "secret handshake" after your surgery! :snork::snork:

I also had a BTKR going on seven years ago, and while it can be a bit more challenging than a TKR, it is very much worth it, as you only have one pre-op, one surgery, one hospital stay, and one recovery! You do not have to have one done, wait, and move on to the other.

Pleas eask any question or pose any concern---we will be here to help you through the entire process!

Hi and welcome @KEImore. Welcome also to the August bilateral group! There are several of us having bilateral surgery in August, so take heart, you are in good company. This is an awesome forum, and you will find many answers to your questions. Many of us have waited too long to get our lives back in order and to get pain free. Take heart that you are doing the right thing and will be able to do the things you did in the past. For me I can't wait to hike again. It's been 2 maybe 3 years since I walked in the woods and I can't wait to do it again. many blessings to you.

@Crow22
It's been 2 maybe 3 years since I walked in the woods and I can't wait to do it again. many blessings to you.

At the end of your journey, when you are fully recovered, you will not believe how great you feel and what you can do, what you can enjoy more, and what you cannot feel---as there is no pain.

"Life is to be enjoyed and to be savored---life is not to be merely endured."

Everyone your words of encouragement are such a huge blessing. Im at work tonight for a 12hour shift at the hospital. When I get free time, all I can do is think, think, think, about the unknown of my surgery coming up. Im so scared. Im blue today, very emotional. I wonder why does it have to be me that has to have this problem? I can push the surgery back, but then I'll still be suffering and not living. I don't want that, I just want to be normal or close to normal again. I've been praying so much for courage. Im scared so scared, but I will have courage to go thru with it. I can't expect it to be smooth sailing, this is a major surgery, and I know so many have already braved it, and have recovered. I am so thankful to bonesmart.com to bring us all together. Love you All Kimberly

Welcome to BoneSmart! You've come to the right place for advice, encouragement and understanding. I think the doctors need to change their viewpoints about age, and make decisions based only on the problem, pain and quality of life. Whether someone is 65 or 35, if they are in pain and have no quality of life, that should be the criteria. And it seems that as time goes on, many doctors are revising their former ideas to focus on the patient, not on a number. You'll find many people here with expert knowledge who will be a great help to you, and many who have been through it and can understand and commiserate with you, day or night, and many who are both knowledgeable and experienced in having gone through it also. Good luck to you and don't be afraid to ask for advice, whine if needed, or cry, and someone (actually many someones) will be along to help.

I'm not in the exclusive btkr club :wink: but I have had 2 knees done. It's like you said, the knees are keeping you from living your life--this surgery can change that. The recovery has its ups and downs--gradually a lot more ups-- but we'll be here for you in both cases. We get it.

:flwrysmile:I love this blog! I feel better today:yes:, hopeful! I actually feel so courageous today, because I work the graveyard shift, and my sleep was so awful today, but this actually made me courageous! My left knee was aching, and I couldn't put any pressure on the inner side, not even with a pillow. I took my Mobic, but tossed and turned all afternoon. Woke up with a headache. I sat drinking my coffee and was amazed at myself that I felt hopeful all of a sudden, because Im having surgery in a couple of weeks to fix this problem. God Help Me, and all my new Bonesmartie friends that are waiting for surgery or recovering on the other side. I know each day is different and with me it can be a roller coaster ride. Im confident today, God will get me thru this journey. Look, he lead me to this wonderful encouraging and supportive blog didn't he. I've learned so much in just a short time since I've been reading on this blog. Thank you all so much. I'll talk to you all soon. Love Kimberly :angel:

Hopeful is a great word! I love your attitude and look forward to your recovery posts!

Welcome! As @Crow22 said, there are several of us scheduled for BTKR around your date, and would love to have you join our "mini support group". It's definitely easier to get through the pre-surgery nerves and post-surgery unknown with others going through the same thing. I am also in my 40's, and look forward to living without pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Hip4life
    Staff member since January 6, 2022

Forum statistics

Threads