BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
The world's leading knee and hip replacement
patient advocacy organzation & online community

blood in urine

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by HandyAndy, Dec 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HandyAndy

HandyAndy Member

I am now 5 days post-op. Everything has been going as expected, from what OS, PA and everyone here at Bonesmart said to expect... with the exception of blood now showing up in my urine. First time ever for me, never had a UTI before, so this is a bit alarming. I called the OS' clinic today (weekend) and one of the OS partners did call me back and said I should see my GP on Monday if it persists through weekend. I have noticed it twice already.

If this was caused by the catheter insertion, or removal, it seems the blood would have shown up earlier. And I don't have any pain associated with it. Could be the Celebrex or cephalexin? Anyone else out there with past experience or knowledge?
  2. nanamac

nanamac Don

United States United States
    Hmm...can't say that I've heard of this, but then again, not everyone reports everything Andy. I think it is wise to call your GP on Monday though. I am going to tag @Josephine: for you so she can see this in the morning.

As long as the hospital didn't tell you to go there, i wouldn't be very worried. Hang in there, it could be related to anything that you mentioned or nothing!
    • Like Like x 1
  3. HandyAndy

HandyAndy Member

Thanks. I questioned whether I should post such information - but only for a second. What makes this forum so valuable is everyone's willingness to share their personal information.
  4. nanamac

nanamac Don

Oh yes! Post anything! I just hadn't seen a post before with the urine info. Doesn't mean it hasn't been a subject on here before. That's the good thing about having a nurse for a "Momma Hen". She'll know what to do :wink1: !
    • Like Like x 1
  5. DallasSarah

DallasSarah Post-Grad

Left field thought and by no means am I medical expert. Are you taking a blood thinner like coumadin that's listed as a possible side effect. I would think if OS office said wait till Monday it's nothing major......
  6. HandyAndy

HandyAndy Member

Only aspirin, for blood thinner. Fingers and toes crossed it will go away on its own by tomorrow afternoon.
  7. nanamac

nanamac Don

I would still check with your GP on Monday. Blood in urine is NEVER a normal thing, but it may or may not be a serious thing.
  8. Steve_Marlow

Steve_Marlow Member

Hi Andy, at about one week post-op they did find traces of blood in my urine, nothing visible but it showed up in tests.

Initially, the nurses were concerned (and that worried me) but as soon as I mentioned I had had a catheter they were happy that was the reason, subsequent tests showed it quickly cleared up on its own.

So don't panic just yet
    Cheers
    Steve
  9. nanamac

nanamac Don

That's exactly what I was thinking, or perhaps even a UTI from the cath as I had one in rehab. I don't think it is anything serious given what you have just had done, but I am not a medical professional.
  10. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

Hi, Andy.....I'm sure Jo will be along here soon to provide a medical opinion. But I don't think this is anything to worry about. Traces of blood can show up after having a catheter. Even if it is a urinary tract infection, it can easily be treated. Your GP may want you to do a urine test just to be sure things are okay. I would check with him on Monday.
  11. Josephine

Josephine Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I don't think think it's the drugs or the catheterization. It could be anything and not necessarily connected with your surgery. I'm curious you have no pain or discomfort, though. If it were cystitis, I would expect there to be.

You really do need to speak with your GP.
  12. HandyAndy

HandyAndy Member

Four occurrences later and it's no longer red. Back to normal color.
  13. Josephine

Josephine Administrator

Beside the point, Andy. It still needs investigating. There could still be occult (or hidden) bleeding.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. nanamac

nanamac Don

:I-Agree:
    • Like Like x 1
  15. nanamac

nanamac Don

Hey Andy. Just checking on you to see how you made out at the doctor today. Let us know.
  16. HandyAndy

HandyAndy Member

Well, since the OS's office said I need only to check in with my GP if the urine remained tinted through the weekend, and/or if pain became associated, I chose not to see my GP. There were never any more episodes, and I think the color may have been caused by "beets" that I had consumed several days prior.

The spinal headaches are gone. My urine looks normal. The pounding pain below my incision when I stand is gone. The swelling is gone. I am walking with just a cane. And I am sleeping longer each night. I feel like I am on a good path to recovery. The sharp nagging joint pain I used to have when sitting and standing is gone. The OS did release my piriformis, and I am feeling a bit of tenderness in that area. Not going to worry about that until later on when I am more active and can better assess that area. I am looking forward to getting back to normal. Thanks to you all for your input and advice.:flowerysmile:
  17. nanamac

nanamac Don

I was going to ask if you had had any beets lately and thought, "nah"...

I had a friend who called me hysterically years ago when the toilet water turned red after she had a BM. After quite a scare and a emergency visit to her GP, it was BEETS! Sorry for the graphics, but it happens!
  18. HandyAndy

HandyAndy Member

And I knew this before posting here. However, I had eaten beets before and knew what kind of impact they have on the tint of my urine. This was so much more drastic that I thought for sure it could not be caused by the beets. Plus, it was a few days prior. But I think it was a combination of a slower metabolism (coming off of surgery) mixed with an assortment of medications swirling around in my system, that caused this reaction. :blush:
  19. nanamac

nanamac Don

Well, I hope you are right. But, I would mention it to the doc at your next visit. Better safe than sorry. I do tend to agree with you though...
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Josephine

Josephine Administrator

:doh::DOH::DOH::DOH:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.