PKR Bj Mac's Recovery

BJ: Yor day sounds a lot like my day and I' m 4 days ahead of you. Take it easy, your right on target. Rest, ice and take your meds remember your knee is in charge! That's what I have learned on this forum and so far it has been the very best advice.

Thanks Dianna, It is good to hear from you. I hope that your recovery is going well. I will rest, ice and elevate and take my meds. Maybe it is best for me that my good day was followed up so quickly by a not so good one, so that I do not run off full tilt and get a major setback. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day again.

I think those feelings are par for the course. One step forward and one step backward. I think that the Percocet makes me feel sweaty when I work out. It is great for the big pain in the first two weeks, but I traded it in for Lortab (which is a "step down") drug as soon as I could. Now, I only use Tramadol, which is one layer less than Lortab. Kelly

So Friday was great, but Saturday, Sunday and Monday were soooo hard. I just want to cry. Today turned into one of those days where it is just one thing on top of the next.:cry:

It started out with not feeling good after getting my shower. I started to get sweaty, dizzy, sick at the stomach. Laying down helped. When I told my husband about it he said, "Oh, OK!" in a tone that sounded like I had just told him I was having a drink of water. (OUCH! does he even care???) Later the security company called and wanted to do a check. I said fine and that turned into a disaster as the alarm would not stop sounding no matter what. A friend was there and took the phone and the guy talked her through how to shut the system off, but he told her to switch off the breaker. My daughter took me to the Chiropractor and as we came home the security company van was leaving the neighborhood. Like as in they showed up while we were out and therefore didn't fix it cause we weren't there. I called the company and went up and down the basement steps at least three times to try to get the system shut down properly and get the power back on because the power out had shut down the internet server and my daughter does cyber school... ARGH:hairpulling:

I have my 2 week doctor check up and staple removal tomorrow and called friend after friend all day long trying to get a ride. I kept striking out and I was depressed, feeling unloved, I am a mess. I finally found someone, but now I may wind up with multiple people showing up at my door tomorrow morning to take me to my appointment. Did I mention that the nurse had me weaned off of my oxycontin in the last few days, and all I have left is my Percocet and I am afraid that the doc will not give me a refill?:cry:

BJ, Don't worry too much. That dizzy, sick feeling was probably the oxycontin and will go away now that you are stopping it. Percoset is really enough right now for the pain and your doc will either renew it or give you something like lortab or norco that is just a little bit less intense.

Pain meds are great when you are in big pain, but as your pain goes down, they start to make you sick. A lot of docs do "step down" drugs--each a little bit weaker to try to stave off the sick feelings.

It sounds like you are doing a lot and that does add to the chaos os this long recovery. It will take a while, but soon you will be driving yourself and going to pt. The gym always makes me feel better. Kelly

BJ;
I've been following your awesome recovery (up's and down's as well).
How are you doing today?
Did you get more percocet?
Please make sure you keep your pain under control. I didn't and it made for a longer and nasty painful recovery.
I see you live in PA. So Where would you be snowboarding in the fall?
I'm like Skigirl. I tried snowboarding and ended up with a headache and a huge bruise on my bum. 2 sticks for me...Maybe next year.
Welcome
Sandy

Hi, BJ- hang in there! I am 6 weeks post-op and just started weaning off the oxycontin yesterday. They have me on a 7 day 'weaning.' I got the sweaty thing, too, so I think that is what it is. I still have Percocets but am taking less because I have started aspirin in between Percocet. Hopefully they gave you a new script for something today?! I don't rely solely on the aspirin yet, but it does help stretch out the Percocets longer so I can skip a few doses in the day.
I visited your page and see you are homeschooling. I homeschooled my girls for 5 years, I loved that time home with them- such a magical time. Now my 'baby' will be 20 in a few months!
I hope you are pain free!
Take care of yourself! Happy Healing!

Thanks so much everyone!

Kelly, Hi! Yes I have been doing a lot. I hope that dizzy sick feeling is just the oxycontin and that it will go away. I think that the Percocet is enough. I really do need it though; I accidentally proved to myself today... see my new thread: Laugh and the whole world Laughs... my doc said that I can drive as soon as I am off the percocet and that I am doing well. The gym really makes me feel better too.

Sandy, I am doing well. Good check-up, more Percocet. Yes, I am in Pa. where are you? I teach at a small resort southeast of Pittsburgh called Hidden Valley Resort. And I am going to encourage you at this point to stick with your skis... I will tell more about this later. Thanks for checking up on me. :)

Jancat, I am hanging in there. Good info about the aspirin. (how much do you use?) Yes, I have been homeschooling since my third son was in 1st grade. It was a rough transition to start with a 7th, 4th & 1st grade boys and a 2yo daughter and a new puppy... crazy days, but sweet and wonderful days. It was a prescious time and I loved it even though it was extremely difficult. 3 kids with ADD (1 of those Hyper) and the other had a massive stroke as an infant... A challenge indeed and a wonderful blessing... my baby is 16

BJ,
I agree with everyone who has written to you. Just take it easy, and try to do alittle more EACH week. Just do whatever your PT tells you to do, and what he/she wants you to do at home, too. It's been 6 weeks I'm walking, riding my stationary bike, feeling better each week.

Deb RTKR 3/26/2012

Today I had my two week check-up. I got my staples out. He checked my ROM, which is 0 - 130ish... with a bit of effort. He said that this is all that many get and are quite happy with it. He told me that he got 165 in the OR when he bent it and that I should be able to get that with work. :yes 4: He also told me to put 25 sunscreen on my scar in the sun, 'so it doesn't turn black' the sun will make it ugly.

He told me that he has done his job and I should be able to snowboard, but his recommendation is that I only cruise the blues and greens. He also told me that I should not fall on it, or do any crazy jumps. (kinda hard to not fall on a knee, sooner or later I will catch an edge and land on it :scratch:hmmm...) He said that if I fall on it and jar it loose he will have no options but to do a tkr. I am seriously thinking of getting new skis next season, mine are ancient, and saving my board for days with fresh snow to soften any falls that may occur, or making sure that I have serious pads/body armour when I board... I will be a bit rusty on skis, but have no doubt that I can teach skiing as well... I just love boarding! Well, I will not make that decision now...

He did give me a refill on my Percocet. I also asked if I could go to the barn. (we have two horses and I have not seen them since before surgery) He said that I will have to wrap it very well and keep it clean and not kneel in any manure. (thanks doc, I will refrain from kneeling in manure:hysterical:)

I asked him how soon I could ride the horse. He just looked at me, astounded. (I don't think that most of his patients ask the questions that I do. :loll:He said that he would leave that one up to my discretion, just don't end up hooves up!

then I came home and "forgot to take my percocet" check new thread: laugh and the whole world laughs... :th_heehee:

Doing great, feeling good!

Oh, yeah and he gave me a script for outpatient therapy too. Gotta figure out where to go and set that up now.

BJ. I chuckled while reading your whole post. Especially the part about forgetting to take the Percocet!

You're very wise to look at all your options and decide to do what's best for you.

BJ, right now I take a 325mg aspirin around 10am, because I take the Percocet at 8am. This helps me get through to 3pm for the next Percocet. Before, I had to take the next Percocet at 12noon. Then I take another aspirin at ~6pm, that gets that 3pm Percocet lasting till 9-10pm. It might be all placebo effect, but I do not want to go through the type of withdrawal I did when I stopped a round of pre-op Vicodin. This method has helped me eliminate 2-3 Percocets per day.
I just started the aspirin because I stopped Coumadin last Monday and had to wait 5 days before starting any NSAIDS.
BUT- I def. still need the pain meds- no question about it!
Happy Healing!

This about my third sleepless night in a row. I have had no more than a few cat naps per night. Well, it seems that I have just been in too much pain since I stopped taking the oxycontin at night. My in home nurse had recommended that when I only had 4 left that I only take them once a day instead of twice. This seemed fine because I took them only at night, and the day was quite tolerable with just the percocet. I didn't mention this at my doctor visit since it had just been my first night without oxycontin. I am calling the doctor today to see what he wants me to do. This no sleeping is just not acceptable and certainly doesn't help with the healing process.:hairpulling:

I a weaning off the oxy also, for 7 days so I take it at ~10-11 am, since it is a 12 hour dose. Today is day 3.
I take my last percocet for the night at ~9-10pm, and then iboprofen or aspirin at ~10:30pm. I haven't been waking up in pain like I was earlier so that 3 am percocet is eliminated. I am taking my first perc of the day at 8am then will take aspirin or ibuprofen at ~10am.
But the sleepless stuff and the sweating sounds just like the symptoms I had when stopping the pre-op Vicodin, Ugh! I am having the sweating thing and it did not start until I decreased the oxy, so I hope this is as bad as it gets.
I def. need some pain meds, and I see my doc next week, so maybe they will prescribe Tramadol, or something I hope.
Hang in there, I hope you get cooperation from your doc.

Jancat, I am glad to hear that you are not waking up in pain any more. That is a victory along the way.:yes 4: I hated that sweating part too. I hope that your weaning off of oxycontin goes well.

Well, I talked to the doctors office and they said that he does not give any more oxycontin as it is addictive. They recommended that I try 2 percocet at bed time. I will try that tonight and hopefully I will have a restful night.

BJ.. I dont know but I get tired just reading your thread..
I think you should sit down.. put you leg up for a bit longer.. chill out .. let 'them' do the shopping etc.. I couldnt get in a car for month.. what are you doing?

I dont know anything about the drugs you've been taking.. all I know was I got off them as fast as possible.. all except paracetamol.. codeine and Acupan did funny things to my head.. Anyway.. just thought I'd see how you were getting on..
regards

Yes, jwheyam! You are probably right, but sitting and resting and taking care of me has never been part of my life and it is extremely hard to change.

I have spent my last 27 plus years being a mom, raising a son who had a massive stroke and therapy was a part of our every day, homeschooling 4 kids with learning challenges, taking them to countless athletic activities, doing taekwondo, skiing and snowboarding alongside of them, and being the main chauffeur as my husband has macular degeneration and has not driven in years. Wow, when I sit down and think about it as you have encouraged me to do it makes me tired too...

I promise myself to work extremely hard to learn to rest and take care of me.

Thank-you so much for coming right out and saying it.:ThankYou:

BJ, since you just had your surg. April 23rd, I HOPE you are relaxing and allowing yourself to heal!
I was only on the oxycontin for 17 days, 10 days at 2 doses/day, and 7 days weaning at 1 dose/day. I think the percocet is fine; at first I just took the oxycontin thinking it would be enough without the percocet, even though they were prescribed to be taken together. However, when I took the oxycontin alone, I did not get any pain relief. It was 10mg, 2X/day.
I don't like taking meds, so I am looking forward to the pain decreasing enough so it is manageable with aspirin or ibuprofen. I think it will be a while before I get to that point, though.
Rest, ice, elevate!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back