Bi tkr July 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tommy464

Hi everybody...I just got my date of July 2 for both knees. I have had many surgeries before but its the recovery that has me so nervous. I am 50 years old. I need my life back. I was getting cortisone shots every month to mask it but that doesnt work any more so its time. Most people and doctors told me to do them both at the same time because I will never go back for the second. One problem I think I might have is I have been taking Percocet 10/325 for a year and I am afraid they wont work as well. I hope they have something stronger that will help. A lot of good info on this forum, I just started reading it today.

HI Tommy

My date if July 04...I'm just behind you, but only a Rt TKR. I'm not going to have a lot of good information since I'm just learning as well. But lots of folks will check in and give you lots of good ideas and advice. You have come to the right place.

Welcome Tommy! I'm a BTKR a month ahead of you, June 4. I'll be able to tell you all about it! I've been here for a few weeks already, and I have to tell you, you will learn some really important stuff in the coming weeks. Go tot Library and read, read, read, and then come out asking questions. All will be answered!

Hi! Tommy, and welcome to the forum. We will do everything possible to answer your questions and concerns. I think having bilateral TKR is the way to go if both knees are bad. I had mine done 2 days apart--only way my OS would do it. This way you have one surgery, one hospital stay, and one recovery period. It is NOT twice as hard to recover from two knees than one.

Managing your post op pain is very important. Since you have been taking Percocet 10/325 for such a long time, talk with your OS about your concerns that you will not get enough medication to keep the pain at bay. I am sure he will work with you to find the combination you need. But you do have to bring it up---he's not a mind reader and he's not the one who will be in pain.

I am giving you links below to articles that you should read and reread, so you can be really prepared for your surgery and recovery:

The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
How Long Does Healing Take ......
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevating your leg to control swelling and pain
Using ice
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

Knee Replacement - Where Am I in Recovery?
So What Is It Going to Take? The Five “P’s” of Knee Recovery
Work “Smarter” and not “Harder”
About recovering a knee - from one who knows!
Some suggestions for home physio (PT) and activity progress
Myth busting: The "window of opportunity"

MUA (manipulation under anesthetic) and adhesions
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's Worth the Wait for ROM
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

If you follow the BoneSmart mantra---take pain meds on a schedule, get lots of rest, elevate, and ice, ice, ice; keep any PT during the first few weeks to gentle stretching and bending--nothing more than mild discomfort--but NOTHING PAINFUL; and find the right combination of meds and food to keep the constipation monster who comes with pain meds away, you should do pretty well during the first 3 to 4 weeks.

No one is going to kid you, those first few weeks are the toughest. And on top of two sore legs, a fuzzy loopy mind, and possibly constipation---sleep is likely to be very elusive particularly at night for quite a while. You will need to take advanage of catnaps all through the day and have something lined up to occupy you in the wee hours when you just can't get comfortable and can't sleep.

Plan to spend lots of time in your recliner watching mindless TV, and hopefully sleeping through a lot of it. Anything that takes concentration will be almost impossible for at least a week or two.

Hope I haven't overwhelmed you here. Please do read all the articles. Please feel free to ask any questions that come to mind or about any concerns you have, vent if you need to, and know that we are here to support and encourage you on this journey to recovery.

Take care of yourself and keep us posted. We care.

Hi, Tommy, welcome to BoneSmart,

BTKR worked for me, no reason why it shouldn't for you. I suggest that the first month may be pretty tough, but it then gets better and better. I wouldn't go back for worlds!

One problem I think I might have is I have been taking Percocet 10/325 for a year and I am afraid they wont work as well. I hope they have something stronger that will help.
The notion that 'something stronger' is needed is a bit of a myth. What is needed is either
a) something different and/or
b) a Multimodal pain management approach :wink1:

I cannot speak to you about the pain meds---Josephine and the others can handle that much more effectively than I can; however, I did have a BTKR going on five years ago---and it was challenging at times, but it was the best thing for me to do---I had one pre-op, one surgery, one hospital stay, one recovery and one set of PT sessions---I did not have to have one done and then wait for it to recover so I could have the other one done.

Recovery took me about five months before I felt pretty good---but at eight months, i was close to normal! I have my life back now and I am more active now than I was six-eight years ago.

For me, a BTKR was the way to go!

Hi everybody...I just got my date of July 2 for both knees. ..... I was getting cortisone shots every month to mask it but that doesnt work any more so its time. Most people and doctors told me to do them both at the same time because I will never go back for the second. ...
Howdy Tommy!
Wow, monthly cortisone shots?! Closest I could have them was 3 months apart and they wouldn't budge from that timing.

I am having only one done, a right TKR. Both are bone on bone but only one is bothering me. Surgery is.... next week.... :eek:!

As mentioned, my choice is to do one at a time and I will go back for the second if needed, but many on this forum do both knees at the same time.

Again, welcome, and enjoy the ride! :thumb:

I know it sounds weird but I'm actually looking forward to my BTKR (way out on July 24) and get started on the journey on the other side. Been having knee problems for so long. I've had a few (4?) surgeries over the years and I'm not scared or worried about the anesthesia etc. I know the rehab will be tough and challenging.

Cortisone had helped with some temporary relief i the past. They've been hurting pretty good recently. I called my surgeon and got the OK to get cortisone now (from my regular doctor), as long as it's not within 6 weeks of the surgery.

I've always been good with needles and shots and stuff, the cortisone (and synvisc shots which I had a few times over the years too) never bothered me. My doc has been good at them.

Anyway I got the shots on Friday afternoon and my knees feel pretty darn good now! I don't expect that to last more than a week or 2 though.

As for injections---I tried the Synvisc first---they helped for three days. The cortisone bought me some time---just like you---but eventually, a BTKR was in order. No shots now, just a great lifestyle.

As others have said, recovery for me was sometimes very challenging and frustrating, but it was very, very much worth it!

I was making it a month with cordizone, then it didnt help and thats when he said i'm ready. Sinvisc worked the first time not the second, then I tried Synvisc one which is just one shot, that didnt help so I was sticking to cordizone. I have had many surgeries also, I just hope I'm ready for work in 6 months because I will have no benefits after 6 months.My union stops at 6 months, then I must work 12 days a month to have bennies.BTW I drive a concrete mixer in Bergen County NJ. A lot of climbing ladders all day. Like you said Hbark I am ready to get my life back and stop taking all these pain meds and anti inflam pills.

Tommy, from your avatar, I'd say you're a pretty healthy young man. I see no reason you wouldn't be able to go back to work 6 months post op barring anything unforseen.

You might have to elevate and ice when you get home in the evenings for a few months after going back to work, and take a weekend day to rest completely. And If you can start back just working 12 days that first month to sort of ease back in, you should just about have it made.

Just please make up your mind that your knees will be in charge of your recovery---not you. Don't think that you can make things happen faster by overdoing the physical therapy. If you read enough in the recovery section, you'll know exactly what to do and not to do. And it truly is hard for fellows to lay back and take it easy when they just want to go, go , go.

Read the Library articles, several times if necessary, read the posts in both knee forums. Brugioni and Falkel's Total Knee Replacement & Rehabilitation is a great resource. It's available at Amazon in paperback and ebook for $15 and $10 respectively. Knowledge is power; and the more you know and understand about this procedure, the better you are likely to fair.

Take care of yourself and keep us posted. We care.

hi good luck to you, im having ltkr 30 may ,surgeon says no more cortisone had to many .right knee looking at x ray worse but no problem doc tells me must be dead tell him kill left .will not need surgery then just laughs says see other next year im not as brave as you both togeather good luck ricbak1

Hbark-I'm one day in front of you(7/23) and also BTKR. Can't wait to get past it so I can go back to sleeping all night without the dagger in my knees waking me up.

Hi Tommie and welcome to BoneSmart. You will do fine there are many on here who have done BTKR and have said they would othave done it an other way. Check out the library and come back in you need any help

Hi, Zel.....welcome to BoneSmart! Why don't you start a thread of your own and tell us a bit about yourself. We love getting to know our new members.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie