THR Back pain

Status
Not open for further replies.

pepperpots

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi everyone, hope you dont mind if this is a bit long. Where to begin? have had hip pain in right hip for 20 plus years but was bearable until 2007 whem deteriorated bigtime causing me really bad back pain, leg pain etc. Discovered in 2012 that my hip was dysplastic and that I had severe OA in hip. Finally plucked up the courage to have my hip replaced with a ceramicand a GA on the 12th September so it's early days yet and am on two crutches but got a couple of problems that hopefully some people out there can help with.

I have been taking so much codeine based medication for so long and still am (currently 1 12 mg Fentanyl patch plus 3 Dihydracodeine plus paracetamol every day and feel as exhausted if not more exhausted than before the op. It's a real effort to get out of bed-anyone else feel like this? Does it last? Also wasn't given much advice asbto afterwards i.e as to when to cut back on medication, when to move to one crutch, how much walking to do each day etc???

Anyone else out there who has walked really badly for so long that they are a littla afraid or a bit unsure of walking properly after the op?

Thanks so much all

Hi @pepperpots and :welome:to the other side.
Sounds like you are out about eleven days.
I think the first week is the hardest , especially if you have the concrete log leg. That usually
goes away in the first week.
Your body has been through a lot, here. You need rest, and try not to overdue too soon.
I used a walker for two weeks, but that was the protocol by my OS. I could have moved to
a single cane earlier, but didn't since it was important to get a normal gait back.

Hopefully crutch users will reply next.

All that you have described is normal for 1½ weeks out from this very major surgery. And all is addressed here in these articles. So read and be educated!

First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Activity progression for THRs
Home physio (PT)
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

@pepperpots The fatigue is very normal as you see from the articles Josephine has provided. It lasts for at least four weeks, if not longer. A few of us have compared notes and have the same story of being mid-sentence here or texting, etc. and suddenly wake up to see our finger has been resting on a key _ just dead out asleep for a few minutes or an hour or more. Trust me, in a month or so you will find the memory amusing.

I use both crutches and a walker (wheelchair also for any distance but I have issues with my leg/knee as well). I find I am more stable and able to concentrate on my gate and heel to toe movement with the walker. With the crutches I have to keep eyes forward and think I just get to where I am going rather than improve my gait. I have a different history than most here, but gait is still very important, if not more important than those of you that have suffered for so long and quite likely picked up some ad habits in terms of gait and foot placement due to your hips. Personally, I would recommend a walker for the first few weeks at least in the house and for your "laps" in the house for PT.

I wouldn't worry about your pain killer just yet. At your stage and for a week or more than where you are right now, I set my alarm at night to take my pain killer. Better than waking in the morning or at 3:00am and having lost control of the pain. Stay in control and it will gradually lift.

Congratulations on your new hip !!

@pepperpots , just checking to see how you are doing. Still early days. I hope you had time to read the articles Jo left for you. Being tired is very much a part of this recovery. Things will ease but just give yourself time. And no rush to quit using any walking aides either. Slow and steady.

Echoing all the sentiments from my fellow hippies...it's early in your recovery so be kind to yourself. The only way you will know if you can do without some of your pain meds is to try it and see...is there a way you can scale back a bit or go for a longer time period between doses? Just a suggestion if you feel like you're overmedicated. I suffered for three days after I got home with WAY too much pain med and slowly got it balanced out fine. Just listen to your body and it will tell you what it needs. Congrats on joining us here on the other side!

Hi @pepperpots,

I just caught you thread now. The tiredness is part and parcel and slowly eases as the days and weeks go by.

I was discharged from hospital on crutches. The advise the PT gave me was 3 to four weeks for two crutches and another 3 to 4 weeks with one crutch. In my case I held on to one crutch longer than 8 weeks and waited until I felt steady and able to manage without it. I always felt when I was out with it people around me were much more cautious and helpful holding doors and such. Don't feel pressure to give up the crutches too soon. You will know when you feel able to manage without them.

Take it easy for now and follow the bone smart advise!

RTHR May 27th 2014

Hi Pepperpots
Congratulations with your new hip! I had mine done a few days after you, on 15th September. I tried to cut down on taking codeine, but suffered because of it. So I now take meds as planned and the pain is much better, helping to get some decent sleep.
I was also sent home with 2 crutches, I can only use partial weight baring for 6 wks, so with most likely be using 2 crutches for a while yet! The others are right, don't try to rush things, take your time and let your body heal slowly.
Good luck. :)

I had THR on 15 September 2014. Had to have a bone graft due to protrusion into the pelvic bone. Also found out I have "soft bones" and therefore have small fractures on my femur due to operation.

Hi, the stories from people here are amazing, perhaps I could have some of your advice. Now on Day 18 after TRHR and have lost so much of the awful pain which I had for 6 plus years beforehand which is fantastic! ( I was afraid to get hip fixed too early as Docs kept telling me I was too young and I'm now 49)

Anyway I was pretty tired before op because of pain meds, poor walking and awful pain. However I now feel even more worn out than ever, mornings are a write off as I am too tired to get out of bed until about 11am which is just not likee me. It's not depressing me or frustrating me but I just wanted to know if this was normal? Today has been the worst for fatigue as I fell asleep again this afternoon!! Today it has been an effort to do any real walking apart from some walking around the house. Could this affect the healing process and my recovery? I'm still using some quite strong meds but far less of them than before op.

Also is it still ok at this stage to be taking pain meds?

Thaanks so much in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
@pepperpots you are absolutely normal! Your body's energy is all going into the HUGE healing process, and you will do well to nap early and often :) there is an article in the library about post-op energy drain, with a wonderful graphic to illustrate it. Go to the library index, the article is probably under P.

Welcome here-- you will meet wonderful people and learn more than you thought possible!

My phone sent this using BoneSmart Forum, clever phone!

It's absolutely totally normal to be very tired ! I'm nearly 12 weeks out and pretty well back to my old self (better in many many ways) but I still get tired. It gets better but you need to let your body heal. Keep taking the pain meds for as long as you need them and follow the other bonesmart mantras.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Just as @zauberflote says the energy really kicks in and is a real part of this THR recovery @pepperpot....it's time for you to kick back and go with the flow...rest when you need to...it will only enhance your recovery.....the THR is a trauma to the body....it's that patience thing now...when you just want to be up & running. You will be....in time!! Keep us posted xxx

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

Thanks so much for the replies. Feel more reassured now.

@pepperpots your body will tell you when it doesn't need heavy duty pain meds-- do not worry about addiction! You will become addicted to playing with what your new hip can learn to do!!!
I didn't stop my night dose of percocet for 4-5 weeks or more, as I recall. Continued with tylenol and ibuprofen for months......and then the other hip started complaining loudly, so I am back to max doses of ibuprofen, go figure! :)

My phone sent this using BoneSmart Forum, clever phone!

Hi everyone. Hope all your recoveries are going well. Looking for some help if possible please? i had a RTHR almost 3 weeks ago. I had hip dysplasia (unbeknown to me) but gradually over the years the became became really severe in the right hip and knee. I had to delay op for long time as I had two toddlers and was helping to care for my terminally ill mother. In November 2011 I suddenly developed burning back pain across my lower back which became worse over time and eventually dwarfed the pain in the hip. It became too difficult to stand for longer than 2-3 seconds.

Fast forward and had no back pain after op,yippee, however yesterday pain in back returned and is there again today which has sent me on adownward spiral. Anyone else have this experience? Can I hope that it goes away? Thanks so much folks for listening

Hi @ mattyb. Hope you get some relief with that back pain. I, too, have suffered back pain over the years ( discectomy & decompression surgeries)....and some days it gets really bad ......mine wasn't too bad for some time after my THR but it's started again now.....I've found a little exercise and then resting with a hot water bottle helps.....ice on the hip, of course.
I can understand the downward spiral......every pain is too much after THR! It may be that you are using different muscles if you are on crutches/ walker....I'm sure in a few days it will abate....obviously make sure you have enough pain meds too....take care...Chrissie xxx

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

Welcome to BoneSmart! I have chronic back pain and it was definitely aggravated by my first THR. You walk a bit wrong pre-op. Post op your pelvis tilts back into balance. Rest and ice. Also, buy yourself some new shoes and don't wear any that you have worn pre-op. The wearing pattern might be causing a strain on your back. Worked the trick for me!

@Jaycey, you can't fool me.....I KNOW what is going on with your first day out of surgery...hahahahaha....

Pioneer stock, indeed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom