BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. PLEASE NOTE THAT ONE RECOVERY THREAD ONLY IS PREFERRED. PLEASE DON'T START ADDITIONAL THREADS ABOUT YOUR RECOVERY.

Aspirin before surgery?

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by grateful, Feb 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grateful

grateful Senior

Hi there everyone -

So I am thirteen weeks past LTHR and two weeks before RTHR. Today I met briefly with my surgeon as a second post-surgery checkup. I mentioned that this Saturday I will be flying for a family vacation, about a three hour flight. Then flying back home five days later. I asked if I should do anything as a precaution against blood clots, and he said yes, start taking two aspirin a day again a couple of days before the first flight. I said, "even though I'm having surgery in two weeks?" He sputtered around a bit and said, "well, you don't have to take them every day..."

It definitely didn't sound like a very definitive medical order. He has you stop taking NSAIDs 21 days before surgery, so I've been limping along without my diclofenac for a week already, and now he's telling me to take two aspirin a day? I certainly have no desire to run a risk of blood clots, but I don't want to flirt with excessive bleeding at surgery either. Should I wear compression socks? Take one aspirin? Any other ideas? I did not need to take any other anti-clotting medications after the first surgery. In fact I have to go back and look to see whether I actually took two aspirin, or just one.

I have my pre-surgery screening at the hospital tomorrow, so I plan to ask the nurses there what they think about this, but I am collecting any educated recommendations, so let me know what you've been told. Maybe I should have put this in the recovery forum... Thanks! Kim

2. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

United States United States
    I think your thread is just fine here, Kim.

I have to admit that "advice" from your surgeon certainly was not a big confidence-builder, was it! I think what he was trying to say is that it would be okay for you to take a couple of aspirin for...say...two days prior to each of your flights. Since you wouldn't be taking them the other days, it should not impact your surgery in any way by just those short courses of meds.

The compression stockings are a good idea also....not the TEDS hose, but the kind you can buy in a drug store will be fine.

3. Tykey

Tykey Forum Advisor

I have to take a daily aspirin following a heart attack. I was simply told to stop taking them for a few days prior to surgery, It was certainly for less than one week prior. Just check with them how many days they need you to stop for.

If you get it wrong, they may delay your surgery, so it's just a detail to get right.

4. TEXAS JACK

TEXAS JACK Senior

Would definitley wear the stockings. I have to keep mine on for 6 weeks post op. The aspirin instruction is confusing. I had to go off 10 days pre op and now I'm back on 2 325gr a day plus Plavix. Definitely talk to the nurses and your pharmicist.

5. grateful

grateful Senior

Thanks for your ideas folks. Jamie, can you clarify about the compression socks? I do have the ones I wore for six weeks after surgery, but are you saying I should wear something less compressing? Any guidelines for what you're talking about.
    I also went online last night and some research seems to indicate aspirin probably does not help for preventing DVT caused by flying anyway. More emphasis on compression, movement while in the air, and avoiding dehydration.
    I will ask for professional guidance today, and if I'm still not clear, will probably take the aspirin just for a couple of days before each flight. Still not sure though...

6. Celeste

Celeste Junior Member

Hi, Kim,
    For what it's worth, my instructions were to stop all NSAIDs, etc. 4 days before surgery.

7. Josephine

Josephine Forum Admin and Mother Hen Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    She means the ones they sell for long haul flights or even ordinary support hose would do. You can find a range here

They grade like this
    TED hose = strong
    support hose for long haul flights (Scholl Flight Socks) = medium
    ordinary support hose = light

• Like Like x 1
  8. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

United States United States
    Yep, Jo said it all!!! You certainly could wear your TED hose if you like. Most people feel they are so uncomfortable, that's why I mentioned the others.

9. kiwi_canuck

kiwi_canuck Junior Member

You could wear support hose, but if it were me, I wouldn't bother for a 3 hour jaunt.

What I would do, instead, is take a walk up and down the aisle mid-flight (i.e. a washroom break), and do some of those leg exercises from the first few days post-op....ankle rotation and flexion, tightening and relaxing calf and thigh muscles every hour.

Hope your family vacation is to somewhere warm & sunny :)

Clear skies,
    ~Phillippa

10. grateful

grateful Senior

Phillippa,
    I am definitely going to chose movement as my primary line of defense. Both the exercises, and getting up and walking around the plane, as well as in the airport while waiting.
    I have done some online looking - of course - and several studies have been cited saying it's actually a fallacy that aspirin would have any significant impact in preventing DVT while flying. And I just read a position paper, put out by the Aspirin Foundation, funded by Bayer no less, which states that they do not believe aspirin to be useful in this way.

Yes, we are going somewhere warm, Florida, which is one more knock against the support hose. Although I could also throw it off as soon as we land! We'll see...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.