BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
The world's leading knee and hip replacement
patient advocacy organzation & online community

Are Chills Normal?

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by Amarillo19, Mar 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amarillo19

Amarillo19 Member

I'm 8 weeks post TKR. I've had chills off and on for the last month or so. I don't have a fever and the chills come and go. It's as if I can't get warm. I was on Oxycodone for 6 weeks and haven't been able to find a replacement. I've tried Hydrocodone-IBU; it caused my atrial fibrillation to act up. I tried Tramadol and it caused sleeplessness and headaches. About the best for me since I'm allergic to Tylenol is just plain ibuprofen. But I continue to have chills despite everything. Could it be just my body trying to adjust to having had anesthesia or is it a reaction to the drugs? I don't have a lot of pain even with just ibuprofen.

Ann
  2. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

United States United States
    Since you don't have a fever, I would say it's nothing to worry about. But I'll tag Josephine so she can say for sure. @Josephine:
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Josephine

Josephine Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Wouldn't be due to the anaesthetic, Ann. Too long ago. You could be coming down with a virus or something. I suggest you have a word with your GP.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Bees Knees

Bees Knees Senior

I had chills on and off for about eight weeks after surgery. I thought it was from the pain medication.
  5. leenie60

leenie60 Graduate

I have to say that it must be the weather! I will be 12 weeks post TKR and I am much colder this winter and it doesn't matter if I'm at home, at work, anywhere. Add an extra layer or a pair of socks and turn the heat up a notch and hope it's nothing than just post surgical lack of being able to go anywhere fast.. enough.
  6. Amarillo19

Amarillo19 Member

Bees Knees - I'm glad to hear someone else has it. I wondered if it is from the pain meds.
    Leenie60 - I know my problem isn't the weather. I live in Florida and it's in the mid 70's and I have on a sweater and socks and my husband is in shorts and sandals. Nights are bad too. It's as if I can't get warm and I even feel the chills in my sleep despite blankets. I'll be glad when it goes away. This isn't normal for me.

Ann
  7. Bees Knees

Bees Knees Senior

I live in Florida too Amarillo19. Before surgery, I was always too hot.:scratch: It has improved. I am three and a half month post surgery. I no longer take pain meds unless I overdo. The chills have pretty much gone away.
  8. Amarillo19

Amarillo19 Member

I'm looking forward to being chill-free. They seem to have improved. I'm also taking only Advil for pain because all the narcotics had too many side effects. The Advil is working ok and my pain level is almost nil-- thank goodness.

Ann
  9. DebR

DebR Member

Don't know why but I have never been as cold as I have been since MY TKR 4 month's ago. I am chilled all the time, go figure !!!! Extra socks, flannel jams etc. Cannot wait for spring to get here
  10. MarkZ

MarkZ Junior Member

I am 11 weeks post op and the chills come and go about once or twice a week. For the first 3 weeks or so they were everyday and so annoying. I am not sure what the cause is but they ARE going away it seems.

Best of luck !
    MarkZ
    RTKR 12-21-10
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.