BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. PLEASE NOTE THAT ONE RECOVERY THREAD ONLY IS PREFERRED. PLEASE DON'T START ADDITIONAL THREADS ABOUT YOUR RECOVERY.

anyone out there with an anterior lateral THR?

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by ellen ronis, Dec 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ellen ronis

ellen ronis New Member

Hello

I'm new to this site and have gotten lots out of reading posts. I am just under 2 weeks post op for an anterior lateral approach total hip replacement. I have a few concerns. 1) I feel pain on the sitting bones when I am sitting in my operated leg. sort of like a nerve pain, almost like there is a knot there. will this ease up as I get stronger? I also feel a slight discomfort in the groin area. I am getting around well with a walker and am able to bend to put my socks on and feed the dog. Doing PT 3 times per week. If anyone out there has any info on healing after anterior lateral approach let me know

look forward to hearing from you
    Ellen

2. SheriALS

SheriALS Junior Member

Ellen, I am 8 weeks post op Anterior Approach. My hip recovery has been awesome but my overall recovery is slow due to sciatic problems that came about pre surgery. That is not typical so don't let that discourage you. You are still very early in your recovery and that will likely continue in a speedy manner that is typical for this surgery.

I had a lot of atrophy to the muscles on my arthritic side pre-op and so sometimes I feel like there is not enough padding around the sit bone on that side. That bone seems to be get a lot more pressure than the other side. I also used to favor sitting on the other 'cheek' so this one might not be used to being sat upon yet.
    The muscles in the groin area are put through some trauma during this surgery and they will take time to heal. You may find they need to be strengthened and/or stretched. I have found the PT exercises to be very helpful
    Aside from the back pains I still have pains & some numbness in my IT band (outer thigh), pain in my psoas, down & around my pubic bone to inner thigh and running to my knee. Some days my knee is very sore also. Again, I will stress that I had a great deal of atrophy to this leg which makes my recovery process a bit more work.

All the best to you,
    Sheri

3. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

United States United States
    Hi, Ellen! Welcome to BoneSmart. I'm so glad you have benefited from reading past threads from our members, but even MORE happy that you decided to join in! We love to hear from folks who have had joint replacements or are waiting on one.

As Sheri said, you are still very early in the recovery process and it is expected for you to have some discomfort and pain. Be sure you are taking adequate pain medication so that it doesn't get the best of you. Most people need the pain meds for at least several weeks following surgery, so don't feel that you should be weaning yourself from them too soon.

4. ellen ronis

ellen ronis New Member

thanks so much for your feedback. I Just did some PT and had a deep hamstring stretch added to the mix and eliminated a leg extension that seemed to aggravate the attachment of the hamstring by the sits bone. Sheri, I like your idea about there not being enough padding around the bone. I bet strengthening the glutes could be good too. I also put heat on the area and it soothed it some what so I guess I just need to be patient and take each day as it comes...

thanks again

Ellen

5. workbill

workbill Junior Member

Uhmmmmm! Don't let Josephine hear you say that you put heat on it! She's a big believer in Ice and elevation!
    :D

(She's right, but I got busted for putting heat on my hip too early in the process...)

I had anterior approach, and didn't have any problems like you're experiencing, but then again, I have quite enough "padding" on the sitting area. Plus, I was riding a recumbent bicycle, so had pretty strong glutes even before the operation.

As Jamie mentioned, be sure to keep up on your pain meds. I was one of those guys who was afraid of "getting addicted," but while you're healing and recovering, it's not an issue. If you let the pain get ahead of you, even a normal amount of meds won't bring you back to comfortable.

Hang in there, and enjoy this amazing site.

Bill

6. JudyH

JudyH New Member

I am two weeks out also with same surgery. I also have pain intermittant on the sitting bones, also on and off groin pain. Around the prothesis or the sitting bone, today it feels like an internal stitch pulling. (I don't think there are any in this spot, but that's what it feels like). Every day is a different pain or spasm.

I haven't seen PT yet. I am using a walking stick.

7. ellen ronis

ellen ronis New Member

How come no PT yet? This really helps the process.

Ellen

8. Josephine

Josephine Forum Admin and Mother Hen Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I'd say it was normal post-op pain which can break out almost anyway. Your hip underwent a lot of manipulating and pulling around during the surgery so expect it to hurt in odd places. Don't try to analyse it too much - even if you guessed right, at this stage it really doesn't matter - it just needs pain meds to subdue it. And more or too much exercising will likely make it worse in these early days. Let it settle in its own time.

As for the heat, well so long as you're not putting on the wound or near it, I always say go with what works. But - do remember that heat will make swelling worse and swelling can cause pain just as pain causes swelling! :wink:

9. ellen ronis

ellen ronis New Member

thanks Josephine, for your words of wisdom. It's good for someone to tell me not to analyze too much because as you could already see that is my tendency. Do the same early hip precautions apply to an anterior/lateral approach as to a posterior approach? ie; no bending , twisting etc...

thanks
    Ellen

10. kjt

kjt Senior

Your doc should have given you the restrictions he wanted you to have.

Make sure to NOT confuse antero-lateral with direct anterior...they are VERY different and have different precautions. People sometimes refer to antero-lateral as 'anterior', tho, so the water gets pretty muddy.

If you have questions re: restrictions I'd call the surgeons office!

11. PRGal

PRGal Graduate

Right on, kjt--I was just about to say the same thing!

12. irishtwo

irishtwo New Member

Thank you everyone for your answers as they have really helped me today as well. It is 3-weeks today post op for me and I'm having the same problems in the sitting butt area of the operable hip - I have just been icing it and taking tylenol. I think also the PT might have got some stuff going on Monday there that may have awakened some muscles. I had a really bad day on Sunday with the nerve pinching but it went away after taking some pain medications. We have put our bodies through a lot and I'm so thankful to have all of you to discuss these little quirks with. Thanks!!

13. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

United States United States
    Glad to hear you're feeling better. Don't hesitate to take pain medications when you are experiencing pain. You are still early in the recovery process and it's important to keep pain at bay.

14. Josephine

Is that all you have for your pain? Tylenol? I think at 3 weeks you need something more than that. Who is responsible for main management in Canada? The surgeon or the GP? Either way, you need to speak to one or both of them and ask for something a little stronger for a few weeks. That's why you are in so much pain - inadequate meds.

15. irishtwo

irishtwo New Member

Hello everyone, thank you for all your comments as they do relate to me. I am almost 4 weeks post-op. Walking with one crutch and using it on my good side with stepping forward with my operable leg. Takes a bit of concentration but the PT says this will get rid of the wiggle walk that I have been accustomed to doing prior to surgery for compensation.
    I have a question though; how long did it take any of you to sleep on your non-operable side at night. Sleeping on your back is terrible and I'm not sleeping very well - like perhaps 2-3 hours at a time then I have to get up. I have tried rolling over with the pillow between my legs and not going over that angle but I can feel the pulling in the hip area and am afraid the joint is going to pop out. Anyone else have this?
    Thanks
    Helen

16. Josephine

Everyone else has this, Helen. You will be restricted to back only sleeping for some weeks - differs from surgeon to surgeon - and nobody likes it but it's something you just have to tolerate and cope with best as you can.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.