Anticipation

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaymo

Country
United States United States
Hi all I'm new here. My journey to a new hip started 4 years ago. I've always been very physically active my whole life , swimming running , elliptical, volleyball, kickboxing etc, so when I started feeling pain in my right hip it got my attention. I chalked it up to overuse and modified my activities in an attempt to let my hip heal. Slowly but surely my hip pain became worse . My hip pain was accompanied by severe lower back and leg pain as well. Two years ago I finally had enough and sought treatment. Since then I've had 2 rounds of PT, 3 spinal injections ( steroid), a hip injection, and a sacroiliac injection, none of which provided any relief. I've seen a neurosurgeon and two different OS. My first OS was very confident in his skills but didn't seem too interested in me the patient. For him, having a THR is another day at the office but for me this is a very big deal. So I sought a second opinion last month. After years of denial he explained to me that my hip joint is completely gone, with bone on bone and multiple osteophytes
And he assured me that I wasn't too young. And he actually asked about my quality of life and listened which is really important when you're talking joint replacement.

As the years have passed, my daily pain level has increased to a point where I can hardly tolerate it. It definitely takes its toll emotionally and physically. 5 years ago I was a strong fit independent active single Mom. Today it's a struggle to get out of bed get dressed , go to work, concentrate on work and not the pain. I have a very demanding and stressful job and must be at the top of my game every day. Worst yet is how this condition has affected my lifestyle. I limp constantly, can't walk to the end of my block, can't exercise except a few mins on the bike, can't get down on the floor to play with my grandson. I finally had to come to terms with how radically this has impacted my life. I've nixed vacations and family events, refused outings and only do things that I absolutely must do like grocery shopping and work. In between I'm medicated and resting trying to deal with the pain.

I've read others stories about isolation and how pain affects your life. I'm in the same boat. I try to maintain a positive attitude as much as possible , but where I'm at right now it's hard. my hope, my light at the end of the tunnel is my OS who I am so grateful to have found. I keep my thoughts focused on what I will be able to do afterwards , not what I can't do now.

Pre-op appointments are all made, going to joint class next week, and I have planned a month off from work to recover, honestly when I think about I get excited , but at the same time I won't lie I'm scared. I know they will take good care of me and I will back to doing all the things I've been missing all these years. I'm an anxious person so I have all sorts of questions which I know will get answered along the way. I may even ask some of you!

My op is in exactly 30 days - plenty of time to say goodbye to this old hip of mine!

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

Hi and welcome to BoneSmart. You've come to the right place to get questions answered and to find others who've been right where you are. They will understand like no one else!

I suggest you spend some time reading threads both in pre-op and on the post-op side. You'll have a better flavor for what you may go through in recovery. I do want to tell you that 4 weeks off from work may not be enough. We usually suggest that people plan for 10-12 weeks just to be safe. Everyone heals differently and what you don't want to do is to head back to a stressful job when you're not quite ready. You can always go back sooner if you're feeling up to it, but it's really difficult to ask for more time after surgery if you need it.

New BoneSmart members like you are in various stages of their journey to joint replacement. Making the decision whether or not to have surgery and preparing for surgery can be easier once you have done your research and know what lies ahead. Here are some tools that can help you decide what is best for you.

Even though you have made the decision to have surgery, these links may help convince you that you've made a wise decision:

Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic hip?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

Because you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery and are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:

Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:

Stories of amazing hip recoveries

@jaymo - hello. Your story mirrors not must mine, but so many on here. The beauty of Bonesmart is you won't ever feel isolated in that horrible pain we all know so well, and put up with for far too long. Having had one of my 2 surgeries I do agree with Jamie that you'll need more time for your recovery - it just takes a bit longer than you've allowed but I promise you'll find a lot of relief.

Have a look at my pre and post Op threads from Hip #1 and you'll see just how scared I was about the whole thing. I can honestly say that the wonderful support I received on this site helped me to deal with my fears one by one so when the day finally arrived I was mentally and physically in the best position. Our fears are partly about handing over control to someone else and having to place our trust in them. Once you've selected the best and most experienced guy for the job stand back and recognise that they really do know what they're doing.

Personally I believe that your recovery starts from today and a degree of personal control brings with it a lot of confidence. Let's start with body readiness. I for instance, am booking to get my hair (highlights) done a couple of days prior to surgery (as I won't be getting in a car for a while afterwards), Then I'll schedule to get my legs waxed a week beforehand plus a manicure and pedicure to remove all nail polish and make them feel good. I take probiotic daily to help protect my digestive system.

Then I organised my Hip Survival Kit. I ordered my ice gel packs (2 x 2) to help reduce swelling (take a tip - they're actually very good preOp) and my 2 x grabbers (useful to get a spot of practise) and my sock putting on gadget. I was supplied with 2 raised toilet seats and toilet surrounds - really helpful. I ordered a step-up to assist me getting into the shower. A shower perching stool and a decent quality shower mat. A tray on legs for meals and for my laptop was very handy too. I did get a pillow wedge (for elevating) but could have coped with using pillows. Not sure what your weather will be like but most of us lived in wide legged track pants or similar for a few weeks - easier to get on (with help of course) and some Bridget Jones pants in a size larger than normal. I wore nightdresses rather than PJs (much more convenient for loo visits). And decent good shoes (I believe Sketchers are pretty good).

I think it is helpful to put whoever is caring for you in the picture about what to expect, so they are aware of the assistance you'll need eg having meals (or at least snacks) at intervals that coincide with your medication, supplying you with ice gel packs on demand, (Icing is key to helping to get that swelling down which then makes movement so much easier), helping you in and out of bed/ shower initially and up and down stairs until you feel happy to cope on your own. I downloaded and printed the BS recovery guides for my husband so he was best prepared for what to expect. You will need their support so the more in the picture they are the better. Get meals cooked and frozen and your store cupboard stocked up. If you have home delivery service in your area that's a boon. Move things you need on a daily basis to a reachable level.

I absolutely concur with the others on here - the wait is the hardest part. The actual event didn't compare and the relief was wonderful! Between now and then if you aren't using a cane, then do. I did and in the final weeks I used crutches which really helped relieve the load. If you read my threads and have questions just fire away. I'm happy to help and am following you now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chronic pain is so hard to deal with. But the pain of a bad hip - well unless you have experienced it you just don't know. We all shared that feeling of your world narrowing while you try and plan every little activity around the pain.

The good news is all that pain will be gone immediately post op. Sure there is discomfort from the actual procedure. But that pain is easily managed.

Keep reading and asking any questions you might have. It does help ease the pre-op nerves.

Having known the relief of my shoulder replacement and my new hip replacement, I am in constant amazement at how much I *don't* hurt any more. Surgery itself hurts, sure, but you do feel so much relief from the constant pain after it is over that it's just wonderful.

I suffered with a bad hip for many many years and the very first thing my surgeon said to me post surgery was "wow, that was a bad hip." (x-rays were enough to show surgery was necessary but it's not the same as once the doc actually sees it in the flesh).

Surgery is scary, but you're asleep and don't even know it's happening. :)

Thanks to all for the warm welcome! I so appreciate all the support and excellent advice!

Drs office called to finalize all pre op and post op appointments today. Everything is set so I guess I can't chicken out now.I have my pre op next week with my OS where they do all of the measurements and determine which size of prosthesis is appropriate. That's my opportunity to ask questions and I have a long list to cover. I work in the medical profession and have read hundreds of operative notes describing hip replacements however I find myself with many questions now that I'm on the receiving end [emoji12].

My fear is mostly of the unknown ...how much pain will I be in afterwards? Will I be incapacitated and if so for how long? How will I shower and dress? Being a single mom most of my life I fear the loss of independence in doing daily activities so I'm working on acceptance of that.

I have confidence in my surgeons abilities and I've heard great things about the hospital I will be in so those are positive things for which I am grateful. I'm excited to get back to living again- the thought of taking a simple walk outside to enjoy the sunset is what keeps me going.

So I'm focusing on the positives, preparing myself and my home for the surgery and recovery, and counting down the days. I can't tell you how comforting in is to have your company on this journey.

I remember when I first got to my room after surgery...my first reaction was that that horrible deep ache was gone! The pain after surgery was more of a bruise feeling and pain of the incision. You will have to get the new leg moving, but they will have you up right away. It is amazing how you will progress, but it isn't easy. It is so worth it! I am now waiting for surgery on the left hip. I am amazed at the pain in the left hip and the absence of pain in my new right hip. Thinking of you on this journey.

how much pain will I be in afterwards
Remember that post op pain can be controlled. Your first priority post op is to work with staff to ensure your pain management cocktail is just right.
Will I be incapacitated and if so for how long?
You will not be incapacitated at all. In fact, they may have you up and walking the day of your op. And by the time you leave hospital you will be completely mobile, moving around on your own including up and down stairs.
How will I shower and dress?
Walkers, crutches and canes are water proof. If you have a walk-in shower use your walking aides so you feel stable. If you don't have a walk-in shower tell the physio folks at the hospital. They will show you how to get in and out of a shower over a bath. Dressing is easy with a grabber. Physio will also show you how to use this tool.

HI @jaymo - me again.
Painwise - from the moment I came round and then every time Obs were taken I was was asked what my pain level was 0-10 (0 being no pain). Before my Op I rated it 9, after the Op it was zero, occasionally 2 and at one point it was 5 (see my postOp thread), so I was given a syringe of morphine which removed it practically immediately. You won't be discharged till they know you can manage getting in and out of bed, shower, use the loo and stairs. I would agree with the view that I wouldn't really describe it as pain, rather more a slightly bruised feeling and an ache in my buttock region, and of course stiffness, which is where the icing comes in so importantly. It was never unmanageable and the nursing staff were always there to support if I had questions. In the hospital there was a shower perching stool (and I also had one at home) and I managed showering alone but needed help drying my legs/feet. I could dress apart from socks/pants/tracky bottoms and of course removing and replacing the TEDs was someone else's privilege. Do you have friends/family/neighbours who could lend support?

@jaymo I had very little pain pre-op -- a deep dull ache and no range of motion. I have had nerve and soft tissue discomfort post-op and the same sore butt that many others have had. I'm slowly reducing the Percoset. My OS had warned me about the possibility of nerve zinging and it sure affected me. It's slowly going away. Ice is my friend. I could not shower until staples were removed. No TEDS for me. I've lived in nighties and t-shirt dresses.

Hi, @jaymo! I'm just another BoneSmartie who is here to cheer you on!!! Having had the same concerns and worries, finding this forum filled with so many wonderful people who knew EXACTLY what I was going through as I awaited my THR was exactly what I needed!! There's nothing quite like knowing you have a team of people who are encouraging you every step of the way, waiting for you on your day of surgery as if they were actually in the hospital waiting room, eager to hear all about the surgery, and then ready to cheer you on as you face the ups and downs of the recovery period!
Recovery is different for everyone, but as you well know, working in the medical field, it is a major surgery. There is pain, but thank goodness, there are meds! As you figure out how to best deal with your post-op situation, read the articles here about getting the house ready for when you get home, as well as the experiences of so many people who've "been there, done that," and you're going to feel your confidence grow stronger and stronger! (And those moments you get overwhelmed? Scared? Oh, we've been there!! We'll be walking with you through it all!!!!)
:flwrysmile:

Thank you all for your words of encouragement - it means a lot.

I've had bad experiences with morphine, codeine , oxy and the like. They make me extremely nauseous and cause vomiting. So I do plan to talk to OS about alternatives. I've survived the last 4 years on high doses of Aleve but today broke down and had to take a Percocet . One trip to the grocery store did me in. I limped back to the car and took myself home where I gave in and took the Percocet which of course helped take the edge off. That was 12 hours ago and the pain is back. I can't get in the habit of this since I'm working full time right up to surgery and can't function to well while on the Percocet. I do consider today's events as proof I'm doing the right thing. My life has been on hold for so long and I'm ready to get back to it!

Luckily I do have a desk job and can work from home when I'm ready, my employer has been very supportive of my surgery for which I am grateful. However my boyfriend of 10 years seems to think Ill be up and walking with no problem outside for miles in a matter of 2-3 weeks. I'm afraid he's in for a surprise as I am taking my recovery slow and steady. My body I'll know when it's ready to go that kind of distance.

One question I have- I read somewhere that the implants are heavy. Is that true? Does anyone here happen to know the weight of your prostheses? What type and brand hip do you have?

I'm gonna go try to sleep now but want to thank you all for the support. It really helps to know that others out there are wrestling with the same fears and issues as I am.

Hello all- thank you so much for the info and encouragement - you guys are great and it's comforting to know that you guys understand what I'm going through!

I had pre op appointment today with the PA for my OS. Wonderful man. Just like my OS so I can see why they are a team. Between the two of them they've performed over 3000 THRs with [emoji2]45 years of experience between them. I am reassured that I am in good skilled hands. The PA spent over an hour with me answering my numerous questions. They did another special X-ray today - my hip looks worse than ever- showed more osteophytes on the outside of the joint as well as inside. I'm categorized as severe end stage OA. I think I have all the confirmation there that I need. On top of this, my PA had THR himself 10 years ago so he knows exactly what I'm going through. I thought that was pretty cool.

We discussed everything: implants, the posterior approach, post op pain control, and the very important precautions. OS decided on a ceramic head for me (in his experience they last longer with less wear than metal). Anesthesia will be spinal with IV with something for anxiety waiting for me once I check in. They are very generous with the pain meds they don't want me to be in any pain. I told them about my nausea and they wrote an extra script for Zofran on the spot. The biggies were the precautions - he gave me a list of DONT'S: don't bend beyond 90 degrees of course, no crossing legs in any way, no twisting at all (keep toes pointed ahead at all times, and don't forget to take my aspirin religiously . All this for the first 90 days...And he said to be very careful in and out of the car. I won't have to wear TED hose or have a catheter. If all goes well they plan to send me home the next day. Then PT starts the following Monday- woo hoo. He encouraged me to walk as much as I can every day staring the day of surgery. I left his office with a ton of prescriptions to get filled before the big day.

Meanwhile I took Miss Muffet's advice ( Thank you) and have started gathering items for my hip survival kit. Amazon is loving me right now[emoji2] . I'll be getting the house deep cleaned and pantry stocked. Organizing the house so all necessary items are at waist level. So much to do! And in between al of this I'm still working full time and training no less than 6 people to cover me while I am out. My boyfriend, while supportive doesn't really understand how major this will be- he wants me to go on a trip 4 hours way at my 3 week postop mark. I think he will figure it out after assisting me for the first week though. He's never been seriously ill or had surgery so it's all a mystery to him, but he will learn soon enough[emoji12]

It's getting late so I will bid you all a good night and send my thanks again for all the advice and support. You guys are the best!

I read somewhere that the implants are heavy. Is that true?
Implants don't weight much at all. Here's a thread about this from our Library Weight of hip and knee prostheses
Please don't worry about your post op restrictions. I found they came naturally as my new hip just didn't want to move past 90 degrees at first. PT in the hospital will show you everything you need to know about moving around on your own within these restrictions.
My boyfriend, while supportive doesn't really understand how major this will be- he wants me to go on a trip 4 hours way at my 3 week postop mark.
Hmmmm... at bit of a steep learning curve for him. Sitting for that length of time a 3 weeks out would be a major challenge. And don't forget, part of this recovery is the Energy drain for THRs

@ Jaycey @Chihuahuan - that's exactly what I thought about travelling that far at 3 weeks - I even asked the PA about that trip and flying for work in November - he said no way to both. I wasn't even entertaining going on this trip - I was chuckling to myelf "like that is not going to happen". but as always it helps so much to have validation from all of you here at BS and my PA.

I would love to show my BF a video of surgery but he has a weak stomach - I watch surgeries all the time online and if he catches a glimpse he RUNS. Suffice it to say I think the post op staples will be as much as he can handle. Im sure the OS will make my restrictions clear at the hospital when Im discharged.

I did ask about the weight of the implants yesterday, they are roughly the same weight as the amount of bone removed so will be a roughly even swap. My implant will most like be a combo of titanium and cobalt, with the ceramic on top, but not too heavy at all.

I have resolved myself to living with these restrictions. I would like to practice getting out of bed correctly so I've been watching youtube videos written by PT specifically for hip patients. And I've been trying to do daily activities without bending >90 degrees just to get used to it. I know the PT and OT folks will teach me all that stuff but I'm a planner :)

@jaymo At the beginning I found a leg lifter very helpful for lifting my leg -- got mine from Amazon. With my knees I used a dog leash.......leg lifter works better :)
Whenever I have surgery I get pretty nighties -- good for the soul :SUNsmile:

I have resolved myself to living with these restrictions.
You do know these restrictions are only temporary don't you? Surgeons require 6-12 weeks of restrictions. But some don't require any. PT will teach you about getting out of bed - worry not!

@jaymo Hi! I just got caught up on your thread. Sounds like a long road to get here. But it also sounds like you have a good OS and are well prepared for your surgery and recovery. Good luck and please keep us updated. :)

@jaymo, I was really scared before having my replacement done just like pretty much everyone else here.

Although I'm only 3 weeks out, I cannot complain that I eventually had it done.

Remember this: Operative pain is temporary and manageable. Pre-op pain is permanent. The worst you'll feel is now, then it improves following surgery.

I've been managing my dodgy hip since 2011 and am so glad I finally got mine done.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties