Anterior Hip Replacment December 22

Status
Not open for further replies.

RAM482

Country
United States United States
My right hip started hurting this past August. The pain was not significant just a small distraction. I saw a Doctor in late Aug and he advised that I need a THR. My pain level was not significant and I asked for a second opinion and finally saw a Dr. at Loma Linda in Nov. by this time my pain level had increased and I was have problems sleping. I am a very active 67 and still work as a personal trainer, and active as a golfer, cyclist and skier . I did considerable research on THR and decided that an anterior THR would get me back to the things I love in the least amount of time. The Dr. I chose took additional xrays and even I could tell that there was signicant difference from the 1st X-ray (Aug) and the one from Dec 3 as well as my constant pain. I have 8 days to go and Dec 22 will not get here soon enough. I will keep you posted.

welcome 18.jpg
@RAM482, so pleased that you have joined us here on the forum. You're giving yourself a great Christmas present this year. The BoneSmart mantras and the following links should give you all the info you need for a great recovery:

First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lie down!

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Activity progression for THRs
Home physio (PT)
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

The articles are not lengthy, and will answer a lot of your questions. Also, don't hesitate to check the library for many other excellent informative articles.

We are here to help in any way we can: answering questions and concerns; supporting and encouraging you from start to finish; giving you a place to vent, whine, complain if you need to; sharing experiences with one another; and having fun and some laughs along the way.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
hugs 7.jpg

Welcome to BoneSmart! Sounds like you have things under control and you'll soon be on your way to recovery. I'm looking forward to hearing more from you.

Welcome. You will be so happy with the surgery. I love my sleep and after surgery you sleep well again.

Sleep will be so nice. I recently purchased a pivotal living fitness band and one of the things it tracks is sleep. Last night after 8 hours in bed I woke up 14 times and had only 1.5 hours of deep sleep. Need more sleep and less pain.
The thing that I have a hard time grasping is how rapidly this has progressed. One month ago I was able ride 25 miles on my bike as well as play golf the next day. 1month later I can hardly walk. I have got to believe this is going to be a great Christmas present.

@RAM482 , yes unfortunately hips can go from tolerable to horrid very quickly. Just a confirmation that you are doing the right thing. And having had 2 THRs I can confirm you won't regret this op.

Welcome! - you will be so pleasantly surprised when you take your first step without the bone on bone pain... It is quite something! Best wishes for 22 Dec.

Well I am on the side ad doing well. Walked up and down the hall ways last night. Next I will be taking on some stairs today before I can go home(I have them at home). Maybe Xmas eve.

@RAM482 Hope all is well and you are home engaged in the BoneSmart mantras Judy posted for you earlier.

How are you doing RAM482? Can you sleep through the night? What pain meds did they put you on? And are the meds adequate to keep you pain-free? Can you walk around your house yet? What are you using? Walker? Cane? Crutches? Please share any and all information about your recovery. I am sorry if you've already posted all of this information somewhere and I've missed it.

I wish you a comfortable and rapid recovery. Happy New Year. Here's to a healthy and active 2015!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties