TKR Almost one year post-op

Status
Not open for further replies.

aheis1130

Maybe this question is somewhere in the forum but so far I haven't found it. I am a few weeks from being one-year post op. I have been hoping that some of these issues would resolve but wonder if anyone else has had the problems or if I'm not doing enough. If I exercise or walk over a mile, the knee swells. It's not really painful, but it always swells and gets stiff. I've had some back problems as well so maybe have not exercised enough, but it is frustrating when I do go to exercise that I end up with a swollen joint at this point in recovery. Also, since I don't know anyone else I can ask to see their knee, does it ever get back to the same shape as the other knee? It has a definite bulge in it which I don't think is the swelling--just the shape. I guess I'm a little vain and would like it to look better at this point. I can deal with the scar.

I had issues for about 18 months, and that was just following arthroscopic surgery. I'm expecting to give it 18 months for my upcoming tkr's, not that it's mine to give! It will Take what ever time it needs. Shape? I expect it will look different. Interesting to see what those out a couple years or so have to say.

Welcome to Bonesmart Aheis. Sorry to hear you are still having problems a year later.
Your one year post op visit with your OS should be soon. If you are not satisfied with his answers, you may want to seek a second opinion for peace of mind. Be sure it is with someone who is not associated with your OS. Be sure to check out the Library link above, there is lots of helpful information.
All the best,

I can relate. I hate to sound negative, but I think that I really didn't start to feel better, or out of the woods for at least until the 2 year mark, and even then...it is not all that, but at least I can stand on it w/out it getting angry for more than 15 minutes.

It has not been any fun and if I had to do it over again, I would not.

Now the left one is/has been going down hill, and I cannot bear the thought of having to go through it again, w/all that I went through with the first one.

Everyone says go and see your OS...like there is really something that he/she can do?, Really though what options do you really have?

Get a revision, and what if that one doesn't take?
No thanks..the first one was way more than enough...
These TKR's are not all they're purported to be.

There I go again though, sounding negative...
Rant over..

Shape? I expect it will look different. Interesting to see what those out a couple years or so have to say.

Different? First I've heard it'll look different? Why would that be? :what: I want them to look the same; is that not possible to do?

Both of my knees have never looked the same since I had my accident 39 years ago. I didn't expect it to look the same as my good knee after my TKR, it was just too deformed.

Different? First I've heard it'll look different? Why would that be? :what: I want them to look the same; is that not possible to do?

Elisea, I badly sprained an ankle taking a flying fall off a porch. It was taped up for six weeks. To this day, that ankle is puffier looking on the one side than the other ankle and that happened when I was 13 years old!

Well, Elisea, after surgery there's no possible way they'll look the same-----one will have a surgical scar the other won't.:th_heehee:

My knees both have the scars---they are not alike either---they are not in exactly the same place on the knee. Also my knees do not look alike---didn't before the surgery. My left knee looks slightly larger than the right--has for a long time--but I don't think most people fixate on a person's knees.

I was told pre surgery that it may always be more swollen than unoperated knee

My first TKR is two and a half years old and it doesn't seem to swell any more or look different than a normal knee except for the scar. My recent one which is only 3 months old is definitely puffy. I don't remember when the swelling went away on the first one but it was after a year. I hope the second one will also stop swelling and will look pretty "normal" some day but even if it doesn't It was worth it to walk with no pain.

Hi Aheis, I think you will find it is not uncommon to still have some issues at a year. My second TKR had swelling issues well into 10 months while my first one did not have a swelling issue. I did an ultrasond on my knee and saw it was a pocket of fluid on outside portion of the knee. It eventually went down.
Lionsm13 makes a very good point, what are you going to do? There are three things you can do for a condition. 1. medicine, 2. Physical Therapy (exercise), or 3. surgery. Even though my knee had swelling issues, it was still greatly better than before surgery.
Hang in there.:thumb:
David

I'm glad to see all of these responses to the swelling we endure. It gives me confidence that though my knees are still slightly swollen and seem to swell up after any exercise that it's not unusual for this to continue for some time. I have funny swelling at this stage. I still have a tight knee but it appears I have little pockets of swelling on top of my knee. I'll continue to baby the knee and know that eventually it'll get better but may occur occassionally over time.

Okiegal was 1 year post op and posted photos of her bulge. She had a revision and then her thread was closed. Why do threads close? Does anyone know how she is doing?

It's good to hear that my knee may not be so abnormal. I will hang in there,exercise, ice and wait. Why don't the doctors explain more? Pre-surgery, they make it sound like you will be back to PRE- problem knees within months with PT and exercise. Then after the surgery, you hear that it may take a year. Now at one year I hear from you that it may take two years. Do they fear it would discourage us from having it done? I'd rather know upfront what to expect so I'm not always feeling like something is wrong.

I agree that patients are better off when the docs are up front about things. At least my doc did tell me it would take about a year to be back to "normal."

Be sure to report your issues/ask questions when you go for your checkup. At the least you can get an explanation of what's going on to reassure you.

My tkr was 18 months ago and my yearly exam was good. I still have pain but I can tell it's "nerve pain": The kind of burning pain a person feels when they scrape their knee - badly. The pain level is usually low grade but always there. If I stand too long my knee and ankle will swell up.

So, what's the good news? The knee still seems to be getting better and my thr from 5 years ago feels better than it ever has! Go figure.:th_heehee:

I live in a town with very high curbs from sidewalk to street. I always have to hold onto something when I step up or down - until last Monday. I stepped down the curb without even thinking about it and holding onto nothing but my purse.:thumb:

Also, my artificial knee is beginning to look something like my natural knee. It just takes time - and lots of it.:blush:

Okiegal was 1 year post op and posted photos of her bulge. She had a revision and then her thread was closed. Why do threads close? Does anyone know how she is doing?

Threads close when there is no activity on them for a month or so. We close threads so that people don't post to that member and expect a response that never comes. Threads can always be reopened by the person who originated them by just notifying one of the mods.

Okiegal had an MUA, not a revision and has been back on BoneSmart now and then since her last post in her thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023