allergic to nickel, and have had septic arthritis, but no Bactria growth

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebbmurphy

Country
United States United States
I want to know if anyone out there has had a TKR, and an allergy to a type of metal. My ortho is aware of my nickel allergy and I am not too concerned, but also a month after my ACL reconstruction I was diagnosed with septic arthritis. Nothing grew from the cultures but I was treated with antibiotics by a pic line, and for 6 weeks longer after discharge, fortunately my surgeon is not the same, but still it lingers in my mind. The septic arthritis was a nightmare and do not want a repeat. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Hi thebbmurphy,
@busylizzie has a metal sensitivity, and @1ELISEA, knows about metal allergies.
You can recieve a Titanium implant, or a Oximium implant from Smith and Nephew to address you sensetivities.
Someone will be along soon with additional information about metal allergies.
Good luck in your search,

Thanks for the tag @Pumpkln

Hi @thebbmurphy
Yes, OMG, I have nickel and several other metal sensitivities/allergies.

What tests have you had to determine your nickel allergy? If you haven't had one, then the next step I'd take, as I did, is to get a blood test called the LTT (Lymphocyte Transformation Test).

I wrote about the testing and my experiences here. CLICK HERE

My first OS, as I posted, would not do the surgery after noting my nickel sensitivity. After interviewing several others, research and the LTT, I had one knee replaced two years ago with the non-nickel OXINIUM◊ Oxidized Zirconium knee from Smith & Nephew. I was concerned also with a possible reaction to bone cement but so far so good with both the non-nickel knee and the cement.

Any questions, just tag me at 1Elisea. :SUNsmile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the information. I haven't had any tests to determine my nickel sensitivity, I was told by my surgeon, who operated on my bile duct that had a nickel stent that there was quite a bit of inflammation, so as a safety precaution I have nickel listed as one of my allergies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom