THR all done

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hiya Stan, i bet you feel great after your good nights sleep, it really helps.

Sounds like things are going well which is good

Take care

Ann

Well that's a major milestone. A good nights sleep only days out of surgery. Well done!

Hi Stan, how's the sleeping going? and your recovery?

Well last night not as good. My hip feels great but some bruising has started to come out have been icing like mad the thigh as very stiff and sore quad.
When you guys left hospital with your meds did you take anything additional. I have got paracetamol, dihydrocodeine and some oxynorm for when the pain is bad only. I only ask as I wondered if I could have some nurofen to help.

Hi Stan, I left with ibuprofen, paracetamol and codeine phosphate. They were enough to tackle the pain but I must say that I wasn't in a lot if pain anyway.

Take care

Ann

Giddy Stan hang in there buddy it gets better, my Doc gave me Tramadol you feel good after taking one of those. I only had to take them for about a week, too many and you get hooked.

Hi Stan

Carol has tagged Jo and Jamie.. Jo is having internet problems - hope to be fixed today, so her response maybe a little delayed..

I also am not familiar with the meds you are on, are you on blood thinners?

Perhaps wait until Jo responds if you can, you will get the best advice that way :)

Giddy Stan hang in there buddy it gets better, my Doc gave me Tramadol you feel good after taking one of those. I only had to take them for about a week, too many and you get hooked.

Mike this is not the case at all. Taking pain meds for pain does not get anyone "hooked". The body naturally weans off meds as it heals.

Which leads me to Stan's query about meds. Stan are you taking your meds as prescribed?

There are no meds "for when it is bad". If you take your meds as prescribed - and I mean regularly around the clock - you will get pain relief. Waiting for the pain and then taking them will not work. The trick is to stay ahead of the pain. That way you are using the energy to get more and more mobile.

Hi

Yes I am taking all meds as prescribed also on blood thinners. I can't take Tramadol because I have epilepsy. The hip itself feels ace totally pain free. What is giving me pain now is I have had all the bruising come out over last couple days and swelling. Last night I took Nurofen which has taken the edge of it. Maybe they should have also given me some anti inflams with my little bundle of meds, I did ask the question when discharged but they reckon what I was given was enough.

Hi Stan, you can't take anti-inflams with the blood thinners so unfortunately that's out for now. Are you icing your hip at all? The pain you are feeling is swelling from all the trauma of the surgery. Icing and elevating really does help.

Blimey, didn't know that Jaycey no wonder they never gave me any.
Yes I am elevating and icing with my trusty old frozen peas. I will up the sessions, thanks for your help.

Hi Stan,

Rest, elevate, ice and pain meds

and

when you get bored come chat with us :)

Well truth be told I didn't know that either and I took Diclofenac from the moment I left the hospital straight through taking blood thinners. :hate-shocked:It was only Jo mentioning it to another hippie that made me realise the error. Shame on my OS and GP!

Hang in there - it does get better and better!

Hi Stan, just visiting to see how you are doing. I read through your thread from the beginning the other day and have to say I take my hat off to you that you pushed to get the right surgeon and the right treatment for you. The system here is pretty daunting isn't it? We are lucky here because we have a very good orthopoedic hospital locally, so I didn't need to question the choice, but a while back I need some other treatment and was told by my GP there wasn't any point asking for a second opinion or to go to another hospital because the PCT would just say they couldn't afford it. So although you have a theoretical right to choose, it doesn't work in practice. But it did for you, because you were persistent. So well done!

Yes, you've heard it from everyone - ice, elevation and pain meds. I used frozen peas but was advised by others that gel packs might be better - I found the peas kept slipping around all over the place and didn't stay cold long enough.

Funny about the anti-inflamms and blood thinners. I was prescribed anti-inflamms when I left hospital but I won't take them because they upset my stomach. No-one ever mentioned that you're not supposed to take them with blood thinners.

Thanks for that. I was really lucky to get Mr Treacy, when I was recommend a BHR I just thought ok whatever. So glad I found this site if not my BHR would have been fitted by someone not experienced enough and who knows what future problems I would have had. I just told my GP that I wanted to go to ROH and did not mention any surgeons coz they have a load of surgeons experienced in both THR and BHR but to get Mr Treacy was like winning the lottery yee ha, I still can't believe it now.
The left hip needs done as well at some point, no AVN in this one so hoping I can get 2 years out of it. Going forward I have a totally new outlook on life and will putting a little away for a rainy day as my gran used to say to me and if the government manage to screw the NHS up then i will gladly pay a surgeon of his calibre to fix me.

Keep posting Stan, I guess differant people heal differant ways and we all have differant problems. I got shot down in flames there didn't I. My surgeon told to get off the meds if I didn't need them, not good for you, I came out fine. There is a lot of good advise here so keep us updated.
:thumb:

Early days for you Stan, its all about recovery for you from this current surgery buddy :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties