BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
The world's leading knee and hip replacement
patient advocacy organzation & online community

Airport Pat-Down

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by jerseychick, Jul 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jerseychick

jerseychick Forum Advisor

Today we left for the vacation. I felt I was prepared for the security at the airport and told them BEFORE I went through security that I had a knee replacement. The security agent told me to go through the security screening machine and of course it went off. He then summoned over another agent (female) who proceeded to take me to the pat-down area. I was happy that she took all of my personal items once they went through the scanner with her. I wasn't allowed to touch them. She then informed me that she needed to do a complete body pat-down. (Showing her my red scar meant nothing) After she explained to me what she was going to do she proceeded.

It was very embarrassing as she was quite thorough to say the least. Before she let me go she said she had to check her gloves for explosive powder. She was not happy when I told her that my knee was NOT going to blow up. :snork: I know she was just doing her job, but geez, they treated me like a terrorist. Just this week someone got on a plane with fake boarding passes and was able to fly all the way to LAX before they caught him....go figure.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. RestAssured

RestAssured Forum Advisor

United States United States
    Jerseyschick,

I am sorry to hear about your experience! When I went on the cruise in March, I used a wheelchair, and when they asked me if I was able to stand for the "pat down" I told them "no"!:th_heehee: When you use a wheelchair they are much less invasive I have found out.

(Funny thing was when I found out on the way back at DFW that they had a full body scanner,) I told them I could stand for a "short while" so I would avoid the patdown!:wink1: It was like a miracle had happened and my knees suddenly could "hold me up long enough to get through the scanner!):th_heehee:
  3. brs0660

brs0660 Forum Advisor

How interesting. I have been hesitant to fly since my surgeries.

TSA has really cracked down on their agents....no levity whatsoever! I suppose they get sick of doing pat downs...can you imagine some of the folks that go through those check point....yuk!

ENJOY your vacation!!!:thumb:
  4. RunA42K

RunA42K Forum Advisor

Sorry that you went through that, but I guess that will be the norm now for all of us traveling. I will travel to Oregon late summer or early Fall to visit my Mom and I will being getting the pat down too! I heard on the news also about the man from Nigeria with multiple fake boarding passes that did not match any ID that he had and flew all the way across the USA. I guess it is not so politically correct to really scrutinize a foreigner so they do it to us because we just live here after all! :hairpulling:
  5. jerseychick

Not sure if Grand Cayman has a body scanner, but if it is available, I will surely ask to go through it. Thanks everyone for your comments. I know the security agents are just doing their jobs and I am happy they are thorough, but it really took me by surprise. She checked my chest area to see if I was carrying anything in my bra and then checked the waistband of my pants. I will find out when we depart if they are just as thorough in the Caymans.
  6. zjrog

zjrog Forum Advisor

I have enjoyed visits to courthouses. Don't expect to fly anytime soon though!
  7. toastedknee

toastedknee New Member

Hi!

Im 3.5 weeks post TLKR, and will be flying for work this Tuesday from LAX to Fort Lauderdale. Cant tell you how much im looking forward to the pat dowm :hairpulling: , but it is what it is. How often should you get up during the flight and stretch. Anyone wear compression stockings when they traveled? If so, how was that?

Thanks!!:snork:
  8. Boogaloo

Boogaloo Junior Member

Jerseychick,
    I just got back from my DC vacation and had the exact same experience as you except it only occurred on the return trip from DC. When I went through security at JFK, I told the TSA agent about my knee and I was not patted down even though I set off the alarm when I went through the mags. I thought it was going to be the same thing coming back from DC but I was patted down even after I told the TSA agent that I had a knee implant. I too was told not to touch anything until after the agent scanned her gloves for explosives. It didn't upset me as much as I thought it would - I was just slightly annoyed because everyone else seemed to sail right through while I was delayed by the patdown.
  9. Jaycey

Jaycey Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I would file a complaint! That's really overkill.

Just curious - did your knee set off any alarms? I flew internationally and within the US in March and never declared my THR. Didn't hear a thing at any airport on any trip. :skeptical:
  10. kneeworn

kneeworn Graduate

Sorry for your experience Jerseychick. I guess we all have to plan for extra travel time now and an airport grope. Hope you find a body scanner for the return.

Donna
  11. Lindawalms

Lindawalms Graduate

I've flown numerous times and never set off anything and I have hardware in my back too - weird!!!

Linda
  12. Bees Knees

Bees Knees Senior

Just returned from air travel. I thought I was mentally prepared for the "Pat Down". Nope ... The inside your waist band and under bra were a little much. But I love to travel so... you do what you have to do. Did you hear about the elderly lady who had to remove her diaper!!! Yikes. I did find that the bigger cities with the fancy xray machines were a great option. Alos the people working in big cities seemed more professional and polite. Will always opt for the machine if they have one. On a positive note, I did meet some very nice people who also had TKRs. Misery loves company!:th_heehee:
  13. PhoenixS

PhoenixS Forum Advisor

The last time I flew, it was to Orlando. Of course, I set the "terrorist" alarm off and was stuck in a glass enclosure with a man wearing a turban. He looked at me and said "I'm a Muslim, what are you in here for???"

Once we got out, I got the full body pat down by a nice lady with a sense of humor.
    I told her that her pat down was the most "action" I had had in months. Cracked us both up.
    Stern looks by the other TSA agents. Hope she didn't get in trouble.
    • Like Like x 4
  14. Juliep

Juliep Graduate

I flew 5 weeks post op from THR and the one airport had scanner so that showed everything and on the way back that airport had regular walk throughs and my hip didn't set it off and I just went on my way. Was glad for that.
  15. edk

edk Senior

I get used to it. The reason you can't touch your stuff is because you could carry a bomb into the glassed off area and then put it in your luggage before you got patted down. If you are embarassed being groped in public they always have a private area they can do the nasty in available. I'm not sure if its still available but you might get them to wand your whole body and just feel your leg. Things changed a bit with the new guidelines of a year ago. They won't wand me because I have a pacemaker as well and their guideline prevent it cause if you are really dependant on the pacer a magnet can cause it to reboot.

One of the things I did do is in our friendly local airport when I was checking in at a slack time of day and they weren't busy is I explained that I wanted to go through the scanner and see how bad I set it off. They let me and I did.
  16. Ahmo

Ahmo Junior Member

I took a plane trip from JFK to LA 2 1/2 months after my surgery. The alarm went off at JFK and I was told they disregard all doctors' cards verifying implants as anyone can reproduce them quite easily. The pat-down was thorough but not disturbing - and I was told I could use the privacy room but chose not to. LA has the x-ray machines available and that was no problem. Some passengers, however, chose the pat-down in preference to being x-rayed.

The lengthy time in the plane was not problematic for my knee but I did get up and walk and stretch a couple of times.
  17. cotton1958

cotton1958 Supremo

My experience was much like jerseychick's. Scars or cards don't mean a thing. If your knee/s go off, you are going to get a pat down. And they scan and feel the knee, as if that scar is really a zipper and you've placed explosives in it? They do ask, when
    I tell the why knee goes off with the hand scanner, if they are hurting me when they feel the knee/s.

I have gone off at every airport, except leaving Bahamas 11 months ago. Kind of scary I didn't go off. Daughter was behind me and was checked for explosive residue on her hands. She was told to sit in a chair.

It really doesn't bother me too much. They touched everything on me except my crotch pretty much.
  18. jerseychick

Helen...I can't believe that you daughter was also checked for explosive residue too! I know the agents are just doing their jobs...but sometimes it goes too far.
  19. Josephine

Josephine Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Sandy, you are too much! :hysterical:
  20. sashayinglady

sashayinglady Senior

So Sad the world has changed since 09/11....:cry:

Well, I'll just post if I don't pass through the gates of Ladd-Peeples football stadium in Mobile, Al in September..should be interesting :loll:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.