TKR Agressive pt

Status
Not open for further replies.

beaches1953

Country
United States United States
my md stopped my pt because they injured knee with too much on leg press machine. I was shacking from the pain gould not bend knee for 3 days. Saw surg and i thought it was infrcted, but to my surprise it was severely in flaimed. They gave more pain meds and want me to use antiinflamatory. My sciatic nerve has become severely inflammed and got inj yesterday. I am confused about no pt and to just do exercises bivenfor home. But havebeen dilligent about doing home pt myself before and after surg. My surg was great with knife, but gave absolutely no info abiut what to expect after surg. Had to sear web to find info and help with exercise prog. Physical therapists did not give clear instructions because they want patients to work on. You would think that all phys would get better treatment regiments so we r more informed. Anyone else experience this frustration?

@beaches1953 Welcome to bonesmart! Yes, therapist can be too rough, on the day my husband was to come home from the hospital a different therapist came in and shoved his leg back. Caused swelling and pain for the rest of the day! All the other pt he had has been okay. When was you surgery? The first few weeks hubby had home pt but it was just the usual exercises and they would show him a few new ones. There isn't a need for a therapist to push or pull on your knee or leg. It just causes setbacks. Make sure you are icing and elevating. An advisor will be along soon to welcome you.

Hi, I had tkr on June 10, 2014. THe therapists always pushed the knee to make it flex and seemed happy to cause pain. I asked the therapist how much weight she was using and she refused to tell me and said, it depends on the patient. When she had me do the operated knee a second time alone, that is when the damage was done. When therapy was over, I had to pick up my leg with my hands to get it back on to the floor. She did not seem to believe that I was in a lot of pain. My sciatic nerve was also aggravated by the therapy. I have not sciatic pain at all now, after the injection yesterday. Trying to exercise a little, but knee still burns and hurts pretty bad. I will give it a rest today and go to pool tomorrow to exercise in water and get in hot tub. Knee is swollen but is only 2 inches larger than good leg, it was 7 inches larger than good leg. Hot and cold compresses really help and also massages stroking toward the heart helps swelling go down. I had not been able to sit at my computer until this week. I was downloading exercise booklets on to my nook, that list exercises for you to do at home. Still icing and elevating every day, but not for as long a time as after surgery.

@beaches1953 You are still really early in your recovery. Don't rush it too much, get the pain under control first. That therapist needs to be fired!

Welcome to Bonesmart. I am glad your doctor told you to stop PT. Once you have read about this forum's philosophy and follow it you will feel much better. The most important things are don't do anything that hurts, ice and elevate as much as you can and take your pain meds as prescribed. You really only need to do gentle exercises. I am sure an advisor will be along shortly and leave you a reading list to help you get started. Also there is a library that has a lot of information and a social section. If you have any questions just ask as there are members here 24/7. I had my right tkr last December and was fortunate to have found this forum. Good luck in your recovery!

Welcome to the forum! It is horrible and most unfortunate that your PT's tried to speed up your recovery by overworking your surgical knee at such an early stage! It is important to understand the amount of surgical trauma that has been inflicted on your knee---and your knee is still reeling from it.

It is important to treat the knee or knees gently and keep them happy! Right now, at this place in your recovery, gentle stretches and exercises are all you need to be doing.

THe therapists always pushed the knee to make it flex and seemed happy to cause pain.
Do not let anybody, ever, push you to the point of pain. you should do all exercises and stretching to the point of discomfort and no further. Working the knee to hard---in essence, overworking the knee, is very detrimental and slows down your recovery and causes even more inflammation.

Here is some reading from our forum library---the articles in it are rather short, but contain excellent information about what will be beneficial to you at this place in time in your recovery. I will post them here for you:

First are the mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!

Next is a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) thread.

And then the articles in order of importance .
Group A
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Progression of activity for TKRs

Group B
How Long Does Healing Take ......
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevating your leg to control swelling and pain
Using ice

Group C
Knee Replacement - Where Am I in Recovery?
So What Is It Going to Take? The Five “P’s” of Knee Recovery
Work “Smarter” and not “Harder”
About recovering a knee - from one who knows!
Some suggestions for home physio (PT) and activity progress
Myth busting: The "window of opportunity"

Group D
MUA (manipulation under anaesthetic) and adhesions
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's Worth the Wait for ROM
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

How often are you icing, elevating, and resting? What is your activity level and schedule? In order to get that swelling down, you need to ice, elevate, and let that surgical knee rest as much as possible. There is no set schedule for recovery, as the surgical knee or knees set up the schedule, so just keep them "happy" and the swelling and the inflammation will go down.

Remember---ice is your best friend at this time---and elevate for at least 30-45 minutes---four or five times a day---or more.

Please keep coming back and let us know how you are doing and what other issues, concerns. or questions that you have---we will be here to help you throughout the entire recovery!

I am so sorry your pt hurt you, I learned from reading these posts to not accept the pain, I hope you had pain pills in you! I have told them up front "I don't do pain" they have been very good every time. The ice is my best friend. Have you been using the CPM machine, I use it 2-3 x s a day, before the Pt so I am stretched, I hope you are to. A positive additude helps, I will keep you in my thoughts!

Of course, I agree with everyone else---I never had a minute of pain during my 3 months of pt. I would not return to the untrained pt that you saw--- here is an article written by one of our members who is a pt. take it easy right now, I think you need some rest time---let your poor knee heal.

Exercises for TKRs: do-it-yourself exercises from basic to advanced

Yes, it sounds like a knee-cation is needed after that PT hurt you. :console2:

Mine just had me try the leg press machine yesterday (and I'm farther out than you) I was a bit skeptical but she adjusted the weight way down when I said the first amount was too much. It really doesn't have to be very heavy. I'm still not sure it was the best idea, but I'm no worse for wear today. on the other hand, I'm sure I would have been if she hadn't adjusted things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie