Advice about a leg elevation wedge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merrykaye

Hello all. I have been reading the posts and have read Josephine's article about leg elevation after surgery and I am wondering if I could get some feedback about what you recommend. Pillows? Leg elevating wedge? Brand, dimensions, etc. Anyone have any preference or advice? If I get a leg elevating wedge, they seem to come in a few different heights. I am a bit under 5'4" and I have no idea what height to purchase or if it matters. I have seen them from 7" to 12" in height. Just wondering if anyone can share their opinions about this as I thought I would start figuring out what I need for my surgery this summer. :what:
Thank you! Karen in Buffalo, NY

You can look at the one on footsmart.com as it gives size based on your height. That can give you an idea regardless which you choose. Pillows apparently work, but are just a bit more to fuss with to get them right. I got the footsmart wedge and it will not work on my footstool, but will on a flat surface.Key is that your feet are above your knees and your knees above your hips.

I just use three pillows, slightly staggered. I bought two new down pillows for my head area and took the old ones for my knee.

I use the back pillows from the couch to prop up my knee when I lie on it. Anything that gets your knee up above your heart--and keeps your leg fairly straight---you don't want to encourage a big bend in your knee as that makes for poor extension. Kellly

I don't think there is any "best" answer. Wedges work. Pillows work if properly placed. It really is more of a matter of your preference.

The devices shown aren't intended as a list of 'must haves' just to demonstrate good and bad positions, that's all. You really don't need any of those fancy cushions or wedges, just a stack of pillows like these depending upon whether you want to sit up or lie down.

aflagsforworship.co.uk_jo_pic_images_elevate3.jpg

aflagsforworship.co.uk_jo_pic_images_pillowstac.jpg

I bought a bed wedge and used it in my bed only, I found it great for elevating and it made sure I kept my leg flat while sleeping (good for your extension). I bought it from Amazon (UK). I also bought deep foam squares for elevating my leg when sat in my normal armchair downstairs - I placed the foam squares on a handy small stool I already had - it worked like a dream! I didn't want to buy a recliner and heard other folks say that pillows get in a muddle. Good luck :thumb:

I bought a bed wedge from Amazon, my surgery is scheduled June 5. I thought it would come in handy now, before surgery, but I can't get comfortable with it. Hope it is more comfortable after surgery.

I just used pillows stacked and staggered and I was comfortable and fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • djklaugh