BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community

1. PLEASE NOTE THAT ONE RECOVERY THREAD ONLY IS PREFERRED. PLEASE DON'T START ADDITIONAL THREADS ABOUT YOUR RECOVERY.

Aching Legs!

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by tottie, Oct 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tottie

tottie New Member

I'm six weeks post bilateral TKR and walking without crutches or any other aid. I get in and out of the bath without assistance and have no need of any of my original equipment/aids. Everyday I push myself to go out and walk and am doing normal stuff around the house. Whilst I'm active I have bearable discomfort. However at night when sitting down my legs really ache and also become restless and jumpy. I also find standing very achy - even for short periods.

Everyone is telling me I'm doing too much! DO you think I should slow down? I don't like being inactive!! :fdbk:

2. RestAssured

RestAssured Forum Advisor

United States United States
    Well, Tottie hmmm... don't like sitting down and not being active.

You are 6 weeks out from a surgery where they sawed your bones and hammered new knees on, and you wonder why you might have some discomfort and feel a little achey!!!?:hehe:

Your mind might be willing to go full speed ahead, but your knees are trying to put the brakes on. They are yelling, "remember us, the 2 that have carried you so long? Well, we are needing you to SLOW down and ice us please and elevate." That way you will really notice a difference.:D

• Like Like x 1
  3. Tykey

Tykey Forum Advisor

Ditto.
    Pace yourself, don't forget it will be about another 20 weeks before you are really feeling anything like normal. We can't hurry these things.

• Like Like x 1
  4. 3dogmom

3dogmom New Member

I still have that jumpy and achey night problem, and it's definitely a reflection of what I have done that day. You might consider doing a bit less as it's still very early, and avoid standing right now at all costs. Hopefully you are still icing and elevating frequently, and taking pain meds? You are still very early in your recovery and your body is trying to heal.

3dogmom
    rtkr 6/1/10

• Like Like x 1
  5. jugornot

jugornot New Member

Tottie,

I think your knees want to find a happy medium between activity and rest. I found very helpful to not maintain any position for too long of a time. While resting and elevating I would elevate with one of those big exercise balls. While elevated on it I would gently walk the ball in and out periodically. I could work on rom and elevate and read a book all at the same time. I must reiterate this was not an exercise period, but an elevation with movement. Very gentle no pain. To tell the truth I found it so relaxing it is still my favorite way to elevate at nearly 4 months out. My exercise routine now is: total gym followed by exercise bike then the ball. Your recovery sounds much like mine. Very rapid improvement that tapers to a slower gradual week to week improvement. The first six weeks I felt like I had daily improvement and after that the improvement were much more gradual like weekly or monthly. I suspect recoveries are somewhat like this. You may be 75% recovered by 6 weeks but the other 25% could take the rest of a year. Don't worry. Healing can't be pushed to fast.

Bill

• Like Like x 3
  6. tottie

tottie New Member

Thank you everybody I know you are right. Ive managed a high level of pain with arthritis for so long and worked -- carrying on as 'normal' that part of me wants to still do that. Im lucky to be where I am so yes I will liisten to those poor knees and perhaps learn to relax xxxxxx

7. Josephine

Josephine Forum Admin and Mother Hen Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    'Everyone' is right! There is a reason your legs "really ache and also become restless and jumpy" and that is because you are doing too much during the day! Six weeks is way too soon to be doing so much. There's no need for total inactivity, just pace your day and do a little here and there, 30-40 minutes at a time and then rest for the same.

What you taking in terms of your pain meds? You should still be taking them regularly, you know.

8. Susie-Q

Susie-Q New Member

After middle school curriculum night on Tuesday and high school curriculum night last night I had that twitchy, restless feeling last night too, as well as some general soreness. Too much activity will cause that. Today is a down day and I'm trying to take it easy, rest and ice, get up and move, rest again, repeat.....

You are only 6 weeks out, Tottie, much earlier than I am (13 weeks post-op). Take it easy and let yourself have time to heal....

• Like Like x 1
  9. tottie

tottie New Member

I take two tramadol at night when I go to bed and dont really take anything but paracetomol and brufen in the day if I need to. I stopped regular tramadol during the day because strong drugs make me feel tired.

10. Josephine

Josephine Forum Admin and Mother Hen Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Well, of course they do! Narcotics are sedating by nature and Tramadol is a narcotic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.