About to have THR

Status
Not open for further replies.

adriver

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I'm about to have a total hip replacement this coming Monday and I'm extremely nervous.

I have had Ankylosing Spondylitis for many years but in the last year my right hip has got progressively worse. At the end of December it was agreed that I could have a full hip replacement.

Tbh, I'm beyond nervous, not really sure what to think about it all, I feel so young to be having it done and don't know quite how it's all going to pan out on Monday. They want to do it using a spinal nerve block but I'm not convinced about that.

My job is super important to me and I did my last shift before the op today and felt so sad when I left to come home. Just want to get it all done and dusted and get back to work. The surgeons reckon my recovery should be speedy but as it stands I can't see past the worry of the op! Not sure what advice I'm looking for really, just nice to post and know that others are out there going through the same thing.

One thing I would ask though for anyone who has been through it who might be reading this - do I go for a general anaesthetic or have the needle in the back? I hate needles and I hate the thought of a needle in my back but I hear the initial recovery is so much quicker.

Any advice people?

Thanks,

-adriver

@-adriver my surgery is Monday too...
I'm sure someone will come along and answer your question..

:welome:This place is filled with folks who are nervous and preparing for surgery. Mine is on Thusday, so we can keep up with each other during recovery. Feel free to post any questions in this thread and we will try to answer them. Read other's questions too--I have learned so much by reading about other's experiences!

I have had the needle in the back 3 times now---GET it!!! (1 hip surgery and 2 c-sections where you are AWAKE) It allows for targeted pain relief in the area that will continue beyond the window for general anesthesia. It is a very thin needle, and it is uncomfortable for a very short period of about a minute or so....but the pain relief extends over 12+ hours. (Heavy duty for the first few hours and a more moderate coverage overnight and into the next day.). It does feel weird....but you will be SO glad that you had it. When the nerve block wore off on my last hip repair....at about 2 pm the following day.....I realized how much it was helping ease the pain! :bawl:

Good luck--

do I go for a general anaesthetic or have the needle in the back?
I was more worried about a spinal than the actual first THR! Go for the spinal. It's truly a non-event. I hate needles as well and felt nothing. Spinal is so much easier to recover from. No nausea or groggy feeling. Besides, your lower body stays numb for a few hours post op. Perfect pain management.

All the best on Monday. I look forward to following your recovery.

I was terrified before my THR, and it was so easier than I expected. I had a GA, and was very happy with it. I was also afraid of the spinal. I would talk to your doctor about your fear. (You can usually email the surgeon's asst.) They called me the night before about the anesthesia. Both the spinal and GA work. In my case, I had used GA in the past, and was happy with it. My surgeon didn't have a preference. The only thing was, I did have pretty intense pain in recovery. I was able to do deep breathing to alleviate it. (That helps with needles, too.) Once they gave me an iv with an anti inflamitory, I was fine. The pain medications are excellent. The main thing is to stay ahead of the pain. If you take the meds on schedule, you should be fine. Be sure to communicate with them if you are hurting. I sent an email before my surgery telling them I wanted all meds, even if I was asleep or out of it. That made a huge difference. Also, it's important to take the meds even if you aren't in pain. I debated about that, but am glad I took them, anyway. It's hard to catch up if you get behind.

Keep us posted. None of my fears came true, and my pain was usually about a 1-3 on a scale of 10. Nothing like I had imagined. Oh, and I would go very easy on the PT. That way you can see how you react.

I feel so young to be having it done and don't know quite how it's all going to pan out
We've had 20 year olds and even 14 year olds having hip replacements on here! 30 is an okay age so don't fret about it!
They want to do it using a spinal nerve block but I'm not convinced about that.
Like the others, I was leery about the spinal too but it's standard practice nowadays as it's been shown that it's safer and easier for both doctors and patient than a general. You can read more here Anaesthetics - spinals, femoral blocks, GAs and everything else.
Having spent 50+years working in theatre, I always said that if anyone wanted to give me a spinal, they'd have to catch me first! But when it came to it, I submitted meekly like a good patient! And it was the best thing ever. If you're worrying that a spinal will mean you'll be awake during the procedure, worry no more. A sedation is always given so you're asleep and will know nothing. If you want to be sure of this, just mention it to the anaesthetist when he comes to see you and/or when you go into the anaesthetic room. They'll be quite happy with that as it's no bother at all.
I have had Ankylosing Spondylitis for many years
You know this won't be a problem, don't you? I've scrubbed for a number of hips on patients with AS and the surgery went fine as did their recovery.
My job is super important to me
Just out of curiosity, what is your job?

Thank you for all the kind words - guess there is nothing left now but to just go for it, 2316 here so hopefully in less than 24 hours I should be all done - still bricking it though :(

In answer to your question @Josephine, I am a train driver (like another member of this forum @isolde) and as said my job is super important to me, I enjoy it so much.

I'm hoping that this finally gives me the relief that I so need so I can finally do the things a dad should be able to do with his 6 year old daughter!

-adriver

Good luck! Please keep us posted on your experience and recovery.

Best wishes - all will go well. I'm having an epidural with sedation. Was terribly nervous at the thought but the wonderful group of positive people on here have settled my nerves and, having had a GA before and disliked the after effects, I'm much more settled with the idea. Just park your trust in the Pros. They know what they're doing and have done it countless times before :angel:.... then the only thing you'll have to do is simply follow the rule book and you'll be on a swifter path to recovery.:chillpill: Best wishes and keep us posted

All the best today @adriver ! See you on the other side!

There's no "hope" about it. You will be amazed how all that pain will be magically gone!

AS here as well! First hip being done after I put it off for 5 years. Next 6 months later, than thy are manually fusing my sac joints then 6 months after that rodding spine and possible kidney surgery in there as well. As my panel of docs gave me a bleak timeline as body shutting down they are making my last years as comfy as possible hence all the surgeries. Am excited!!! Good luck in your journey

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Hi @adriver, I really hope your op went ok and you are home from hospital. I haven't been on here for a while or else I would have said have the spinal but ask to be put under with anaesthetic so you don't hear the carpentry going on! That's what I did, but I'm a wuss! Take it steady and you'll get there with your recovery - I know you're in a hurry to get back to work, but my surgeon said absolute min 12 weeks before going back to our job because of the climbing into the cab and all the other stuff. You can build excellent mobility in that time if you do it gradually. All the best.

After reading many of the pros/cons, I'm going to request a spinal and sedation. I had a spinal when I had our son 23 years ago. It was a piece of cake. No grogginess. I had a general 20 yrs ago with our daughter and I was nauseated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562