BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. PLEASE NOTE THAT ONE RECOVERY THREAD ONLY IS PREFERRED. PLEASE DON'T START ADDITIONAL THREADS ABOUT YOUR RECOVERY.

[TKR] 8 weeks post op TKR and I want to go on a trip in Sept

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by gardenangel, Mar 25, 2013.

1. gardenangel

gardenangel New Member

My mistake was that I tried to withdraw from opiates far too quickly due to their unpleasant side effects, and I paid dearly with nasty withdrawal symptoms for about a week. How I wish I hadn't been so impatient, and had sought some direction from my physician about how to do it more safely and comfortably. I cannot take Tramadol because it is contraindicated with another med. (SSRI) I have been taking. Has the potential for causing serious problems. My insurance will not pay for topical pain relief patches, so I ice, elevate, keep moving, take my Tylenol, and pray for the pain to subside. This surgery, while a medical miracle, is not for the faint of heart.

2. Ppaluigi

Ppaluigi Junior Member

Hello Gardenangel and here's hoping your ordeal with the vicodin will soon end. I am awaiting a TKR in early June (teacher hoping to go through recovery over the summer) and have been treating the advanced arthritis with 40 mg of Norco/day for the past year. Because of my active lifestyle, the meds allow a balance between pain and activity. I once withdrew using a sleep aid (Ambien) but the knee pain returned and I returned to the norco. Nevertheless, I've been haunted by the imminent withdrawl when this med is no longer needed post-surgery. I've gleaned from folks in this thread that it is essential to have a withdrawl plan in place with a trusted physician before surgery. I plan to do that; first try with the OS, and if he is not interested, then my GP. Don't go it alone. It creates visions of film noir and Mr. Hyde. Find a dr or even a pain management clinic. There are ways to get through this.

3. maryo52

maryo52 Sr Bonesmartie

Withdrawing from narcotic can be as easy as pie. You reduce dose slowly. Take one or more weeks to wean. A GP would be the better one to work that out with you.

I weaned slowly over months as I naturally needed less and didn't notice any withdrawal.

4. 1ELISEA

1ELISEA Forum Advisor

United States United States
    Hope that you are doing better this week! :SUNsmile:

5. skigirl

skigirl Moderator

I know that you have issues with many meds, but I found that Tylenol Three helped me quite a bit at the end of the first few weeks. I will tag Josephine and she will give you better advice about the amount of Tylenol you can take.

It sounds like you are doing well, good work. If we can help make you more comfortable, that should do it.

6. Nyland

Nyland Post-Grad

Hi Elizabeth,
    Thanks for the info. I'm thinking of asking my rheumy for something for my left knee to get me through the summer. I want to be very careful because I want the pain meds to help AFTER my next surgery. I will do some reading to see if using tramadol now will hinder my post op pain relief.

7. omybones

omybones Junior Member

...hey we have all been there... can can relate to what you're going through. You've been blessed with some positives, good flex and extension & no infection I imagine so that's great news huh!?? It takes time,that's all. Don't worry because times passes. Sorry to hear of your pain... must be something else you can take??? Ask around? good luck for you....

8. izzie

izzie Senior

Hi Nyland --

That sounds like a great idea. Your doc will be able to clarify the use of tramadol now. Honestly, I do not think I could get around without my little combo of naproxen and tramadol. I went off it for one day because I was feeling pretty good (not a smart choice) after one day of no meds, the following morning I was in such pain I said - never again. Since I have arthritis all over, I hope that I will be able to continue with my meds even after the surgery. Of course, there will be a lot of other meds I will be on, so I doubt if they will let me continue the tramadol right after surgery, but maybe later on down the road.

Keep me posted as I would like to know what your doc has to say. Good Luck!!!

9. Josephine

Josephine Forum Admin and Mother Hen Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Never heard that before but since aspirin in one of the NSAID group, no other NSAID should be taken at the same time.
    Technically it's neither an opiate nor a narcotic, it's a synthetic substance similar to morphine.
    Or us! :wink:

I can't really suggest anything else for you, other than to make sure you are taking the maximum acetaminophen per 24hrs which is 4,000mg

10. gardenangel

gardenangel New Member

Hi All, I am considering booking a tour to the British Isles in Sept 2013, which would involve a lot of walking at various sites. I am 8 weeks tkr, have some concerns about whether to commit. At this point, I am doing limited walking aerobics at the Y with my OS's blessing, but am having problems with swelling and aching in the knee on those days. I would love to go, but am I silly to think that I could tolerate such a trip at 7 months post op?

11. Campervan

Campervan Sr Bonesmartie

New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi, there are quite a few members who've undertaken big trips around 6 months post op. I'm sure they'll be along to advise. One member I know of that came to Australia and New Zealand from UK is Diane. So I'll tag her to see if she has any advice. Diney

12. iceguy

iceguy Junior Member

Gardenangel, Before I found this sight, we committed to a trip to Italy @ end of May beginning of June. After finding this site, wondered if it was such a good idea. But we had already purchased tickets and so I have decided to make sure that I do two things; A) be as strong as possible by going to the gym 3 days a week to strengthen the leg muscles and B) know when it's time to sit and watch the world go by while in Italy. You know, "A bottle of Red, a bottle of White......." a loaf of bread and some cheese. :cheers:

13. Josephine

Like that one, iceman!

gardenangel, it's going to be a bit of a punt to make that decision now. At this point, only 8 weeks out, you are bound to be having pain and swelling as you are still in the middle of your recovery. It will be a very different story by September. Perhaps you could make it the end of September, just to provide some leeway?

14. Josephine

15. LadyTKR

LadyTKR Junior Member

Gardenangel,
    1st of all, I seriously understand your concerns, I have concerns myself. I had my RTKR on Jan 14, 2013 so our surgeries were close and I just committed to a 3200 mile motorcycle ride in September :shocked:
    2nd, I've been to the British Isles....BELIEVE ME....everything you do to commit yourself now will be worth that trip once you're there. :yahoo:

This is the way I see it .... if your heart is there and you take IceGuy's advice I just KNOW you can do it. My therapy ended 3 weeks ago but I try not to let a day go by without doing 1/2hr on my exercise bike (radio blasting) plus some other kind of home therapy (climb stairs, do squats and walk at least twice a week). EVERYONE has the time to walk each day even if it means getting up 1/2 hour earlier and using a flashlight (which I have done). Start now with 1/2 mile (1/4 if that's all you can do). If your Y membership doesn't include exercise machines than do leg squats against a wall. If you don't have access to an indoor bike and can afford one, do so. If you don't have an exercise ball....get one, they're under $10. Talk to your OS for the best way to increase those leg muscles and your stamina without injury. And don't look at this like you ONLY have 4 months to get ready.... because you "HAVE" 4 months...16 WHOLE weeks... to get ready!!! Josephine is right, you're ONLY 8 weeks out and you hurt right now. But, you most likely feel way better than you did at 4 weeks and in another month you're going to be feeling way better than you do right now. Don't disappoint yourself, whatever you do, find something you enjoy then make that trip happen :yay:

16. pdx

pdx Senior

Go. Seven months' out is a long time from now. You'll keep improving, as long as you keep moving. If your Y has a pool, try swimming and/or walking/jogging in the water. Really great exercise.

17. gardenangel

gardenangel New Member

Hi all,
    Does anyone have problems with pain after tkr on rainy/humid days? Is this just my imagination?
    Thanks! Gardenangel rtkr 2-28-13

18. forevergimpy

forevergimpy Senior

Josephine and/or Jamie, would one of you kindly put that fantastic weaning chart in the library as an article? I am afraid that I may forget what thread it is on when I am ready to start that venture myself. :yikes:

gardenangel my knee seems to be a great barometer as well. :cry: I have heard stories (here on BS) from those that have traveled after replacement. You may find that you need to rest and possibly ice in the evenings but I would hope that at 7 months you'd be ready for such an adventure.

19. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

• Like Like x 1